Eating Habits

Started by Maroon Manc, January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 11, 2021, 01:03:37 PM
A desire to live in the imperial world of previous centuries is especially common in the northern part of the country, especially Antrim.

Think you'll find Donegal is more Northern, but whatever floats your boat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

Vegatarian for 20 years and I dont eat junk food or take sugary drinks. I used to love crisps but off them now for three years, would eat dulse to replace that salty craven. 5-11 172 lbs weigh myself every morning to make sure i don't go above that number. Every once in a while ill not eat anything for 24 hour periods.

Last Man

Quote from: Main Street on September 10, 2021, 10:19:05 PM
I'm 193cm tall and 80 kg would be my premium sporting activity weight.
For unknown reasons at the time, but for the past 3 years I gradually put on weight, going from 85kg to 113kg  without any proportional change in diet
I'm a lifelong  vegetarian since aged 15 y.o..
I made some changes to my diet in the direction of 'veganicity'. I replaced much loved foods like butter, milk and cheese with non dairy options, that actually was a painless transition.
I cut out  a most beloved large plate of chips for supper, but what had hurt the most and still does to an extent are Crisps. I use to open a 150gr pack and  chomp until  empty some 3 times a week.  And Crisps are the only forsaken product that I still have a craving for,  gives me the twang of nostalgia   when passing by when shopping. Pretty much I eat the same amount now but with no snacks in between meals. In two months I went from 113kg to 96kg.  I'm aiming for 85 - 88kg  whichever I land on. However the descent has slowed down from 2kg weekly to about 300gr - 500gr weekly. The hard grams.

You need to be very careful with those so called vegetable fats derived from seed oils, very nasty stuff. Do you supplement for all the vitamins and minerals you are missing from animal products?

Main Street

Quote from: Last Man on September 12, 2021, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 10, 2021, 10:19:05 PM
I'm 193cm tall and 80 kg would be my premium sporting activity weight.
For unknown reasons at the time, but for the past 3 years I gradually put on weight, going from 85kg to 113kg  without any proportional change in diet
I'm a lifelong  vegetarian since aged 15 y.o..
I made some changes to my diet in the direction of 'veganicity'. I replaced much loved foods like butter, milk and cheese with non dairy options, that actually was a painless transition.
I cut out  a most beloved large plate of chips for supper, but what had hurt the most and still does to an extent are Crisps. I use to open a 150gr pack and  chomp until  empty some 3 times a week.  And Crisps are the only forsaken product that I still have a craving for,  gives me the twang of nostalgia   when passing by when shopping. Pretty much I eat the same amount now but with no snacks in between meals. In two months I went from 113kg to 96kg.  I'm aiming for 85 - 88kg  whichever I land on. However the descent has slowed down from 2kg weekly to about 300gr - 500gr weekly. The hard grams.
You need to be very careful with those so called vegetable fats derived from seed oils, very nasty stuff. Do you supplement for all the vitamins and minerals you are missing from animal products?
I don't need to be very careful, just a bit sensible as a carnivore should also be. The likely suspect nutritional achilles heel in a vegetarian diet is B12. I supplement breakfast with yeast flakes, and daily consume a dose of an algae powder, which has all the nutrition the body needs in perfect proportion, albeit small amounts in a daily dose.  Though as standard  practice I don't take allopathic medicine, I do believe people should not hesitate with having a comprehensive annual check up.

Milltown Row2

Last year did a couple weeks vegetarian, few days vegan within that, I found it easier, recipe wise, than this keto one. Though with her doing the dinners I just have to turn up  ;D

I've a friend that's vegan, she's also a triathlete having completed many Ironman competitions, she would I'd imagine take supplements. She trains 3 hours a day do she's obviously finding her diet good enough for keeping her strength up.

I'd like to do a mix, reduce red meat (not good for my gout) continue to make my own sauces and reduce the carbs content, cut out a lot of the sugars (chocolate is my Achilles)

After my sober September is over I'll be having a drink Friday and Saturday, moderation the key!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

I would take a B12 vitamin everyday and I would notice it if I missed out for a week or so. Keeping your blood alkalinity right is hugely important for your amune system. So what you drink is huge also. I buy water with a high ph level even use it in tea and coffee.

Milltown Row2

20 days in on this diet, weighed myself for the first time, never normally would, but was keen to find out, 1 stone lighter, from 12 down to 11.

Haven't been to the gym since they closed, so intend to go after the season finishes, so no doubt that will change things also..I'd imagine if you were heavier you'd loose a lot more over that period.

I think being off drink has also helped 

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2021, 10:43:52 AM
20 days in on this diet, weighed myself for the first time, never normally would, but was keen to find out, 1 stone lighter, from 12 down to 11.

Haven't been to the gym since they closed, so intend to go after the season finishes, so no doubt that will change things also..I'd imagine if you were heavier you'd loose a lot more over that period.

Ha, more meat on Good Friday. How tall are you?

Last Man

Being off the Guinness no doubt MR, stouts are the worst of them all in terms of sugar content. Noticed any other improvements bar the weight?

JoG2

Smoothies, nuts, seeds, select fruit and a milk substitute a good way to start the day? Knock the cereal and toast on the head

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on September 20, 2021, 11:11:12 AM

I'm not tall, 5'6 so losing a stone is a lot on me

Quote from: Last Man on September 20, 2021, 12:28:47 PM

Being off the Guinness no doubt MR, stouts are the worst of them all in terms of sugar content. Noticed any other improvements bar the weight?

Feeling good health wise, no aches or pains in a busy schedule of refereeing so, but Ive been lucky in that dept. sleep is pretty much the same as I'm a great sleeper

Miss the Guinness to be fair but had friends round yesterday afternoon and made them gins and so on and I'd a cup of tea, so wasn't a big miss, but I'd love a wee glass of red at 9 just to set me off to bed!

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2021, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on September 20, 2021, 11:11:12 AM

I'm not tall, 5'6 so losing a stone is a lot on me

Quote from: Last Man on September 20, 2021, 12:28:47 PM

Feeling good health wise, no aches or pains in a busy schedule of refereeing so, but Ive been lucky in that dept. sleep is pretty much the same as I'm a great sleeper

Miss the Guinness to be fair but had friends round yesterday afternoon and made them gins and so on and I'd a cup of tea, so wasn't a big miss, but I'd love a wee glass of red at 9 just to set me off to bed!

I drink a lot more red wine now but dont bother with Guiness or whiskey at all and rarely have a beer so all things being equal I am probably slightly down on the alcohol overall.
Met up with mates on saturday for lunch and tried to evangelise my new found healthy diet, considering one has T2 diabetes and another various cardiac issues, they both think I'm nuts!
Maybe they're right but I am sticking with this for now.

Milltown Row2

Last day of the diet and drinking ban for the month....

Plenty of positives throughout the month, the negatives being food planning and having a big enough fridge to keep the stuff you need !!

I'll probably keep some aspects of the Keto diet going forward and in time reduce a lot of the crap intake

Lost well over a stone, I didn't really need to lose any weight if I'm being honest, I was more into the cutting out sugars and carbs and alcohol..