Eating Habits

Started by Maroon Manc, January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: JoG2 on January 27, 2021, 10:42:18 AM
Day 1 off the dairy. Curious to see if it makes any difference. Cheese will be missed.
I went off dairy for four wks as I'm feeding a baby and thought she may have been intolerant. I couldn't believe how many products that there's hidden dairy in. Multi vitamins, soups, crisps, even wine!

Oatly Barista milk is prob the best tasting for tea etc, but wait til the hot drinks cool a bit or it could curdle. I ate Oreos as treats. A lot of Oreos.

Like Bc1, I'm prob a bit intolerant myself, but symptoms not bad enough to make it a permanent change (and challenged baby's intolerance and she was fine too). Thank goodness!

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on January 26, 2021, 04:15:48 PM

I could go without meat in my dinner now and again but there's no way I'd do it full time. Have fish a couple times a week, and do like my veg and eat quite a few eggs as well. But it's unnatural to go without all those.

I can understand people trying to give up meat (particularly red meat) and dairy for health reasons. But surely eggs are healthy?
(Appreciate some might give up eggs for ethical reasons, but I don't people are talking about that on this thread).

If I eat chicken, fish or eggs instead of red meat I think I'm doing great!

square_ball

We would generally eat well during the week but Christ have i a sweet tooth. The kids sweet cupboard gets raided pretty often and biscuits are my downfall. We are getting fed up with the same dinners week in week out so have taken up those Hello Fresh offers I've seen advertised so looking forward to trying those this weekend. Anyone else used them? I believe they are having problems with delivery to here due to Brexit.

BennyCake

I found myself reaching for bars and biscuits with every cup of tea, so I made the decision to stop eating crap during the week. It's hard to do sometimes but I've got use to it. It's so much more satisfying having a bit of chocolate or a couple of biscuits with your tea at the weekend knowing you have deserved it.

If you crave chocolate, give it a smell. I thought it was a mad idea, but it does work.

brokencrossbar1

@Rois just on the baby being possibly lactose intolerant when we moved to formula with her wee lady ship the pain she was in was unreal for a few weeks. We went to the doctors and got prescribed formula and bingo.....she was a dream. She now takes normal milk but whatever was in the formula had her covered in rashes on her bum and gave and within 48 hours it was gone

seafoid

We started giving up carbohydrates after breakfast and cutting down on sweet things last March.
Also we usually have eggs for breakfast.
I was delighted to be able to fit again in a suit I bought in 2002.

My wife got interested in Sapien medicine videos on youtube. They use sound waves rather than tablets

https://youtu.be/fQFIHK8PttQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 27, 2021, 11:08:24 AM
I have started to adopt a more veganism diet with some slight changes to the norm.  Oat/Soy milk has replaced regular milk and I can't tell the difference as I gather the flavour of my tea/coffee/porridge from them themselves. 

I have tried quorn mince on lasagne/bolognaise and again the main taste is coming from the sauces and veg contained within.
I like the idea of cutting down on red meats when I can, but meat will forever be a feature of my diet, I am content with the small changes I have made so far as they don't impact me. 

On the topic of eating habits themselves, the majority of my colleagues in work eat food dictated by their tastebuds and its often pure rubbish.  One guy would eat chips everyday for lunch (one time we shared a bus into work and he was wolfing down a burger king at 8.30 in the morning), another would resort to eating pot noodles (he is 35) out of laziness and the majority would horse a few cans of fizzy juice into them everyday and about 4-5 coffee's. 

They look at me with astonishment/disdain that I would happily eat the same lunch for the week (I meal prep on a Sunday to free up my evenings during the week) but to me that's standard.

I cant fathom how grown adults can't create proper lunches on a regular basis.

I look back on my eating habits during my 20's and it wasn't much better then those you work with, I ate so much more back then so no idea how I didn't put any weight on. I've soya milk from Aldi in my tea and it taste's the same as milk would, the same for porridge etc.

I can't stand anything from Quorn or Tofu, think their dreadful. I'd have eaten a lot of bacon and sausages but have found good substitutes for them to my surprise.

Milltown Row2

Portion size plays a big part on things too, I've reduced my portions, very easy to pile on the rice and pasta when dishing out the the dinners.

My metabolism is not as high as it was, so while still doing the same exercises (to a point) I'm not burning off fat as much as I would have ten years ago, and this with reducing portion size and better eating!

Getting old is crap!

I see the 1 year sober on social media has plenty of followers, that would play a big part having a healthier body.... 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 27, 2021, 04:49:02 PM
I have started to adopt a more veganism diet with some slight changes to the norm.  Oat/Soy milk has replaced regular milk and I can't tell the difference as I gather the flavour of my tea/coffee/porridge from them themselves. 

I have tried quorn mince on lasagne/bolognaise and again the main taste is coming from the sauces and veg contained within.
I like the idea of cutting down on red meats when I can, but meat will forever be a feature of my diet, I am content with the small changes I have made so far as they don't impact me. 

On the topic of eating habits themselves, the majority of my colleagues in work eat food dictated by their tastebuds and its often pure rubbish.  One guy would eat chips everyday for lunch (one time we shared a bus into work and he was wolfing down a burger king at 8.30 in the morning), another would resort to eating pot noodles (he is 35) out of laziness and the majority would horse a few cans of fizzy juice into them everyday and about 4-5 coffee's. 

They look at me with astonishment/disdain that I would happily eat the same lunch for the week (I meal prep on a Sunday to free up my evenings during the week) but to me that's standard.

I look back on my eating habits during my 20's and it wasn't much better then those you work with, I ate so much more back then so no idea how I didn't put any weight on. I've soya milk from Aldi in my tea and it taste's the same as milk would, the same for porridge etc.

I can't stand anything from Quorn or Tofu, think their dreadful. I'd have eaten a lot of bacon and sausages but have found good substitutes for them to my surprise.

Turkey bacon hard to beat as a substitute.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

themac_23

over the last year I was putting on a good bit of timber, working from home eating a lot more and more often and drinking more. after Christmas ive been doing a bit more training but the main thing that I think is helping me shift weight is I downloaded myfitnesspal, sounds strange but the accountability of having to input everything you eat really makes you stop and think, I try keep to 1700 calories try have 3 decent meals then whatever I have left I use for snacks, I have a massive sweet tooth so those wee skinny whip bars are a life saver. Also my woman is vegetarian so I kinda stick to that during the week and then il have meat at the weekend, working well so far.

lfdown2

How many of you would consider not only what you are eating but where it has come from?

Since moving jobs closer to my local town I have made a point now of going to the local butcher and green grocer - doing my best not to buy either of those from the big supermarkets. Have also bought some meat from the farm gate and I would have seen a big difference in quality & taste.

I have developed a particular dislike of the big supermarkets through this pandemic too (not that they will care and not that is particularly their fault), when it's all over there will be very little left on the high street.

lurganblue

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 27, 2021, 04:49:02 PM

I'd agree.  I've a daughter who goes through vegetarian phases and she'd get me to try this crap.  It's awful.  Don't get me wrong, some of the other products have been ok.  I have no desire to be a vegetarian but I believe I could do it ok as I do love my veggies. Veganism - no way.

Tried that MyFitnessPal app too.  It's defo a good tool if you have the patience for it.

I think I generally eat health enough, with the odd takeaway thrown in at the weekends.  My problem is 100% portion sizing.

tintin25

There has actually only been one night where I have drank during Lockdown since it started last March, perhaps in a whole year.  I was always a binge/social drinker, so never had any desire to booze in the house or even with a meal.  Anyways, found I was actually piling on the pounds the last few months.  As others have said my downfall was chocolate bars and sweets etc.  I'd eat mainly healthy during the week and at weekends (with exception of odd takeaway), but I'd still manage a couple of bars every other evening.  Have cut this out (and sugar in the main) since end of December and the weight has been dropping significantly.  I find a bulk shop in the butchers is best for the month and tend to go to the supermarkets for things like milk and frozen veg etc.  I would also buy those healthy meals on occasion from 'Go Pig Or Go Home' - only £3 and have to say they are nice enough.  To replacing the chocolate urge, I've started buying protein balls.  They are made by a company in Banbridge and you'll find them in the Applegreen stations - have to say they are lovely.  Nutrilean is the company I think.

BennyCake

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 28, 2021, 09:33:04 AM
How many of you would consider not only what you are eating but where it has come from?

Since moving jobs closer to my local town I have made a point now of going to the local butcher and green grocer - doing my best not to buy either of those from the big supermarkets. Have also bought some meat from the farm gate and I would have seen a big difference in quality & taste.

I have developed a particular dislike of the big supermarkets through this pandemic too (not that they will care and not that is particularly their fault), when it's all over there will be very little left on the high street.

We've recently got big shopping  orders from our local shop. I'm not going back to those big f**kers. We have to support our small businesses, because a lot of them won't be here as this goes on.

I can't unders people constantly ordering from those amazon b******s. Never bought nothing from them and never will. Shop local. If you had a local business, how would you feel people bypassing you and heading to those big f******s?

Milltown Row2

People will shop amazon as they are lazy and prefer to get things cheaper...

No one can deny the handiness of online shopping, though our local butchers have seen a huge upturn in business, they have developed also and they make a lot of fresh stuff made up the night before.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea