The Steelers might be coming to Croker

Started by mick999, January 27, 2011, 12:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick999

http://irishecho.com/?p=42194

Steelers may play NFL game at Croker News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Susan Falvella Garraty

Ambassador Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II, Sportscaster Jim Nantz and former Pittsburgh Steelers star Franco Harris.

The Super Bowl-bound Pittsburgh Steelers might also be Ireland bound for a regular 2011-2012 regular season game. That's the word from the huddle after the team's championship win over the New York Jets last weekend.

The clincher for a Steelers appearance would likely be Dan Rooney, whose family own the franchise and who is himself the current U.S. Ambassador in Dublin.

And the Echo has learned that some groundwork has already been laid for a regular season game at the GAA headquarters which has a seating capacity in excess of 80,000.

A spokeswoman for Ireland's  Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport, Mary Hanafin, told the Echo Tuesday that discussions have already been held at the official level on the potential of a NFL regular season game being played in Ireland in the fall.

"Minister Mary Hanafin would very much welcome such a move to hold a future NFL game in Ireland, which has such a proud sporting tradition. There would be a great welcome for visiting fans traveling with the teams to Ireland as well as huge interest locally,  and a knock on boost for Ireland from a tourism perspective," the spokeswoman said.

At the end of Sunday's game against the Jets, Ambassador Rooney held aloft the Lamar Hunt trophy Rooney, who left the day to day running of the team to his son Art Rooney II in 2003, has overseen the development of a team that is now tied with the Dallas Cowboys for most Super Bowl appearances.

Of course the team has seen its share of notoriety, particularly from its quarterback, "Big" Ben Roethlisberger, who has had his own personal fumbles that include a serious motorcycle accident, and suspension this season for his behavior in a bar with a young woman.

Perhaps hearing a whisper on the Three Rivers wind, Roethlisberger  recently said he would like to bring a regular NFL game to the Emerald Isle

For the last four years, the NFL has played a regular season game in London. Last October, it was the San Francisco against the Denver Broncos in Wembley Stadium. Roethlisberger was asked by the local Beaver County Times newspaper if he'd like to see the Steelers play in London.

In his response he groused a bit about the length of the flight, but came up with a way to go overseas and shorten the time in the air just a bit.

"I think it would be fun to go play in Ireland where Ambassador Rooney is. That would be kind of fun," he said.

Big Ben's suggestion has clearly been taken literally and to heart in Dublin where big college football games have been played before enthusiastic crowds in recent years.

Perhaps the Ireland game could be a replay against the Jets, a team that thinks green all year round.

Hardy

Just to steal the thunder of Louth wags ...

We were there already.

The Real Laoislad

Tis a disgrace they want to play dem foreign sports in Croke Park....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

That would be great. Although I would be worried about the gap between the pitch and the stands it will still be great to have the game in Dublin. Lansdowne road is too small but they are hosting the Notre Dame – Navy game there next year. Steelers fans are probably the best in the NFL and they travel in big numbers so it would be great to bring them here. It will also bring fans from all over Europe. It's not going to clash with any GAA games as the international games are usually played in October.

And it will be a chance to bring my Dad to his first American football game. I can already see the photo opportunities with Ben pucing a sliotar about Croker. Will Micháel Ó'Muireheartaigh come out of retirement to do some commentating as gaelige.

"Tá se chead agus deich ar an líne chlós daichead Pittsburg"

"Toledo Noafa"
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thejuice on January 27, 2011, 01:06:44 PM
That would be great. Although I would be worried about the gap between the pitch and the stands

In fairness there are usually about 40 players from both teams on either side of the pitch during games along with probably another 20+ or so other people whether they be coaches, medical staff, TV staff etc. They will probably need the extra room.

I have a vague memory of Nick Halling on Sky saying a few months ago that he was against an NFL game in Dublin. Can't remember what his reason was though? Maybe because it might be at the expense of London.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 27, 2011, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: thejuice on January 27, 2011, 01:06:44 PM
That would be great. Although I would be worried about the gap between the pitch and the stands

In fairness there are usually about 40 players from both teams on either side of the pitch during games along with probably another 20+ or so other people whether they be coaches, medical staff, TV staff etc. They will probably need the extra room.

I have a vague memory of Nick Halling on Sky saying a few months ago that he was against an NFL game in Dublin. Can't remember what his reason was though? Maybe because it might be at the expense of London.

think it was because he didn't think they would get the same crowd in Croke Park as Wembley
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Aghdavoyle

CountyMan

I truthfully doubt this will happen yet. They have been talking about this for a number of years now, people just can't come to terms on it. Theres one game a year outside America that is usually played in Wembley stadium in London and the atmosphere in immense I must say.

If they did every agree to play a match In Croke Park I would encourage anyone to buy a ticket to go watch it. Brilliant experience that most sports people would enjoy.

thejuice

Galway BB: They fit comfortably in Wembley with all the personnel on the sideline but it would be a different story in Croker.

Wembley: 105 × 69 m

Croker: 144.5 m x 88m

Halling has a point though. in terms of NFL popularity in Ireland is way behind Britain, Germany, Austria, France and Sweden.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Claw

I dunno juice, a lot of people (myself and bunch of friends have done it the past 2 years running) go over to London for the games so I'd say that along with people coming over from different countries, Croke Park would have a very good chance of selling out. If the Jets were the opponents, that would be even better!

CountyMan

Quote from: The Claw on January 27, 2011, 01:53:46 PM
I dunno juice, a lot of people (myself and bunch of friends have done it the past 2 years running) go over to London for the games so I'd say that along with people coming over from different countries, Croke Park would have a very good chance of selling out. If the Jets were the opponents, that would be even better!

I would agree, I think if the game was announced to be played over here alot of people may make the journey over espically the American supporters.

thejuice

I've been to all 4 games in Wembley indeed you are correct, but all those other countries were expecting to be rewarded with international games particularly Germany who have a bigger following than the UK. I'm sure they might feel aggrieved to be over looked in favour of Ireland.

but sure I suppose the Germans can't have everything and if the game goes ahead in Croker, Great!! I'll be there.

CountyMan

Quote from: thejuice on January 27, 2011, 02:10:24 PM
if the game goes ahead in Croker, Great!! I'll be there.

And I'll be joinning you  :D

the Deel Rover

I wonder how the fans will like it when they see they are fenced in
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Claw

Quote from: thejuice on January 27, 2011, 02:10:24 PM
I've been to all 4 games in Wembley indeed you are correct, but all those other countries were expecting to be rewarded with international games particularly Germany who have a bigger following than the UK. I'm sure they might feel aggrieved to be over looked in favour of Ireland.

but sure I suppose the Germans can't have everything and if the game goes ahead in Croker, Great!! I'll be there.

Me too I would love it but it seems a pretty hopeful article alright. I know Rooney has a great appreciation for the GAA but the article seems to be going on relying on something Ben said and the fact that Rooney is over here as ambassador.