Living here vs Democratic Republic of Congo

Started by Tony Baloney, July 30, 2015, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Tony Baloney

LeoMc

deiseach

bennydorano

Interesting fact - Baluba is an often used slag in Armagh city (as in ur a tube), originated in the Congo as it's the name of a tribe! Brought home by Irish Army men.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2015, 12:59:08 PM
Interesting fact - Baluba is an often used slag in Armagh city (as in ur a tube), originated in the Congo as it's the name of a tribe! Brought home by Irish Army men.

No wonder the wans from Slaughtniel are known  as the Balubas!!!! 

Quote from: general_lee on July 30, 2015, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2015, 11:00:13 AM
Just asking.
Ask Portadown people.

Shacking insult to people from the Congo!

macdanger2

Also used as slang for being drunk in Mayo (and possibly further afield)

deiseach

Baluba would have been common enough in Waterford as a term of abuse, although it's probably on the way out. You wouldn't hear very skinny people being referred to as 'like a Biafran' any more.

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 30, 2015, 02:51:26 PM

Also used as slang for being drunk in Mayo (and possibly further afield)
Same in Roscommon "He was fckn Balubas" - not heard much now though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

I'm surprised the Balubas haven't attained a more lasting place in Irish folk culture, given that they were responsible for the worst single incident, in terms of casualties, in the history of the Irish army.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on July 30, 2015, 03:53:36 PM
I'm surprised the Balubas haven't attained a more lasting place in Irish folk culture, given that they were responsible for the worst single incident, in terms of casualties, in the history of the Irish army.
I presume you mean overseas Hardy? The Balubans were more foot soldiers tho and took a right hammering, the real culprits were the Belgians. However no deaths, unlike Lebanon, the worst thing about it was that they were left isolated and forced to surrender. There's a great documentary on it here
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2009/0701/646158-jadotoville/

Hardy

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 30, 2015, 04:12:47 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 30, 2015, 03:53:36 PM
I presume you mean overseas Hardy? The Balubans were more foot soldiers tho and took a right hammering, the real culprits were the Belgians. However no deaths, unlike Lebanon, the worst thing about it was that they were left isolated and forced to surrender. There's a great documentary on it here
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2009/0701/646158-jadotoville/

No. I was referring to the Niemba Ambush. This was the big event of the time in the national consciousness - far more so than Jadotville, for obvious reasons.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B