New 'Top Gear'

Started by BennyCake, May 30, 2016, 12:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 05, 2016, 10:28:55 AM
I'm surprised Evans went so quickly. If he had stuck it out, he might have found his feet and the audience start to warm to him.
I presume there are other background reasons?

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-04/chris-evans-accused-of-sexual-assault/
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 05, 2016, 10:28:55 AM
I'm surprised Evans went so quickly. If he had stuck it out, he might have found his feet and the audience start to warm to him.
I presume there are other background reasons?
He was on the front page of the tabloids yesterday BEFORE he announced he was quitting.

Bord na Mona man

Shoved out the door then?

BennyCake

Jaysus, this Top Gear is getting worse and worse.

Tony Baloney

It is f**king dire stuff. They can't let it go on for much longer. I'd say the Beeb would love the other 3 back in the morning.

thewobbler

It's essentially the same show. Same cars, same cinematography, same guests, same fun/daft/overblown challenges, same laddish humour.

But it isn't the same.

Turns out that all along, we were all tuning in to watch Clarkson and the other pair being the entertaining creatures they are. I guess we all kind of knew it too.

From the Bunker

The gas thing is the 3 (Clarkson and the other pair) were/are three of the Biggest snobs you'd ever meet! And part of the charm of this was watching three snobs suffer on their adventures.

ned

I like it even if Matt Leblanc is too much to the fore! It's all about the cars for me. Watching a professional driver like Harris sling a Porsche around a track is infinitely more entertaining than Clarkson trying to do the same. Also Amazon aren't making anymore of The Grand Tour.

Owen Brannigan

I would prefer it to go back to the really old Top Gear.  With no Fifth Gear we need a programme to look at the cars that the public drive and can afford and provide honest reviews.  No interest in super cars or stupid challenges.

BennyCake

Quote from: ned on March 26, 2018, 11:16:59 AM
I like it even if Matt Leblanc is too much to the fore! It's all about the cars for me. Watching a professional driver like Harris sling a Porsche around a track is infinitely more entertaining than Clarkson trying to do the same. Also Amazon aren't making anymore of The Grand Tour.

I'm not into cars but the other 3 made it enjoyable for non-car fans. The 3 of them taking the piss and doing daft stunts was what was enjoyable. They rubbed off each other well. Joey and the other two dont.

Do you think the beeb will bite the bullet and get clarkson and Co back?

ned

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 26, 2018, 01:13:54 PM
I would prefer it to go back to the really old Top Gear.  With no Fifth Gear we need a programme to look at the cars that the public drive and can afford and provide honest reviews.  No interest in super cars or stupid challenges.

There are numerous car review sites out there that look at every car the ordinary person can afford. Carwow for example. Top gear is basically entertainment about cars. I don't want to know about a VW Polo thst does 0-60 in
13 seconds. I want to see a Dodge outgun a Lambo over a quarter mile drag race.

ned

Quote from: BennyCake on March 26, 2018, 07:37:31 PM

I'm not into cars but the other 3 made it enjoyable for non-car fans. The 3 of them taking the piss and doing daft stunts was what was enjoyable. They rubbed off each other well. Joey and the other two dont.

Short answer no. The current format and presenters are doing well. Also, if you arent into cars watch another entertainment show.

BennyCake

Quote from: ned on March 26, 2018, 10:03:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 26, 2018, 07:37:31 PM

Short answer no. The current format and presenters are doing well. Also, if you arent into cars watch another entertainment show.

I might do. But the point was, Clarkson and co made it enjoyable for non car fans too. Yes the show was about cars, but they still made it enjoyable even if you knew feck all about them.

I don't know how you can say the current format is doing well. It's like watching cricket while on diazepam.

Wildweasel74

Watched top gear this evening for first time in a few years! Though it was fine; bit of change not a bad thing! Ps Clarkson was always a hateful p***k!!

Tony Baloney

Rory Reid is a really weak link in the show and they haven't done much to disguise it.