Your best/worst experiences in the stands

Started by Syferus, May 23, 2012, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The worst would have to be while overseeing an underage team in league play-off semis one year(u12) against a team who'd beat us well earlier in the year. We beat them well and there was a baying mob of parents at the end figuring we must have cheated - not an environment which any u12 child should ever be exposed to.

Best 89 AI semi against Offaly. Too young to realise the full extent of it - at current rate I may never see it again as long as I live!!

spuds

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2012, 04:27:25 PM
Best - ........ on my knees giving ............ Timmy Dooley ................. ultimate high .....

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on May 26, 2012, 10:26:35 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2012, 04:27:25 PM
Best - ........ on my knees giving ............ Timmy Dooley ................. ultimate high .....

That's work Nally would be proud of.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Leo

Down v Meath All-Ireland Final
A commanding lead for Down is slipping away towards the final whistle and a Cork woman in front of me (no friend of Meath) roars out
"I never had such a f**king slow watch!"
Fierce tame altogether

blanketattack

BAD:
Turning around to congratulate these fanatical Down supporters after Down beat Kerry in 2010 only to find out they were actually Tyrone supporters!
(Although when I looked around with 5 min to go in the Tyrone-Dublin game I noticed that they were long gone).

GOOD:
Was with the missus at the '08 All-Ireland final and a couple of Tyrone women wearing fake beards appear on the big screen. The missus asks why are they wearing fake beards and I said they're not wearing fake beards, that's what Tyrone women look like normally. A couple of Tyrone women turn around to give a dirty look and possibly more when a few Tyrone fellas turn round and say "you're dead right for a fair few of them".
The dirty looks was moved to them.

AZOffaly

Of course I meant Billy Dooley. Don't know why in the hell I thought of that other jennet.

And please don't use selective quotes like that :D

Shamrock Shore

Best: deserted stand in Rovers' Milltown in late 80s with a young wan (this may or may not be true)

Worst: being in Croke Park with the Mrs who has no interest in GAA. During the match (I cannot remember who was playing) she was reading The Sindo, having no interest in the fare, when a greenjacket approached her and told her to put away the paper and watch the match!!

Jinxy

I take it you didn't ride to the rescue then!
"Sorry baby, but them's the rules".
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Muchachos

Some Highlights Hill 16 in 1995 watching Westmeath win the Minor All Ireland, f**king a steward out of the way and running onto the pitch when We won the Leinster in 2004, Me da bringing me to the Dublin V Meath matches in 1991 is something I will never forget. Great atmosphere at them games.

Lowlights crushed in the Canal end in 95 At the All Ireland Semi, having to walk out of portlaoise 1 year after Dessie missed a penalty and was f**king drove into the net for good measure with a shoulder afterwards. Bastard Meath fans singing and laughing at us on the way out........  :D

blanketattack

Quote from: Muchachos on May 29, 2012, 02:07:49 AM
having to walk out of portlaoise 1 year after Dessie missed a penalty

Why did you stay in Portlaoise for a year?

Muchachos

Quote from: blanketattack on May 29, 2012, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: Muchachos on May 29, 2012, 02:07:49 AM
having to walk out of portlaoise 1 year after Dessie missed a penalty

Why did you stay in Portlaoise for a year?

:D Im in a coffee shop in Vancouver breaking me hole laughing..........

tbrick18

BEST: Derry v Dublin AI Semi Final 1993. Victory from the jaws of defeat, we were never going to be beat after that game and it almost felt like it was the AI final. I was nearly going to pick the 1995 AI final but.....well I enjoyed our win more than the inbreds getting beat the way they did. Just about.  ;)

WORST:
Getting beat by Fermanagh in the Ulster semi (2006 I think). We'd Ulster for the taking and kicked it away to one of the worst footballing sides in the country at that time.

rrhf

and you wonder why God lets you win nothing...

tbrick18

Quote from: rrhf on May 30, 2012, 03:45:27 PM
and you wonder why God lets you win nothing...

lol!
If only it was down to God....sure we'd be winning everything every year us being Gods own County!

Charlie Redmond = Legend!  ;)