National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoisguy

Lee Cleere, Eric Killeen in spots and maybe Paddy Purcell

The rest were just not at the races last night...quite frightening the difference in skills,movement,awareness,catching under the high ball

What training has been done in the last 8 weeks? Couldn't see it folks

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: redsetanta on January 04, 2018, 10:02:31 AM
Just curious to know who you would have in there that hasn't been asked already. What players are better than the current squad?

Please don't include lads that were asked and declined or lads that are injured at the moment.

Apologies I was lamenting the overall current standard in Laois that allows this to happen not the players themselves.

merman

Donnchadh Hartnett played very well when he came in to be fair.
I'd take a chance on moving Lee Cleere to the wing; he lacks the height and I appreciate we're short corner-back options, especially with Palmer out, but he's an out and out half-back for me. I'd want him in the game more.
Eric Kileen looks a definite starter now too; perhaps in midfield.
I thought Podge Delaney tried hard and showed a little. Jack Kelly and Aidan Corby have come on massively this last 12 months. Will likely see time off the bench (at least) come championship.
Moving James Ryan to the half-forward line or midfield will help; centre-back isn't going to work for him.
Cha was well-shackled but we see how well he performs at club level; should be hard to handle at Tier 2 Level.
Does anyone know how the two Whelans are?

We've a tough league coming up but as always, our year will be defined by Championship; the Round Robin should afford us 5 very competitive games.

If we can get our injured bodies back, we have a chance but it's going to be a mighty scrap. I'd imagine Westmeath will start as favourites. We might have the edge in terms if fire-power but they are defensively solid and that should stand to them over the 5 games.

I'm quite satisfied with the way the championship restructure has worked; we're better served in the second Tier than in Leinster. This panel is just not physically able for that level yet.

Wouldn't mind seeing us line up something like:

Rowland

Hartnett/Phelan
Bergin
Palmer

Downey/Whelan
Whelan
Cleere

Purcell
Killeen/Healy/Stapleton

Collier/Conroy/Ryan
King
Dwyer

Maher
Foyle
Dunphy (A/W)/Scully/Kavanagh

redsetanta

How far off fitness is Palmer and Picky?

Lets be honest lads, this was the first competitive game of the season a week after Christmas against a team of players who kow they have to bust a gut to get a smell of the KK jersey come the league and championship.

Of that KK team how many will start come the league? Can the same be said of the Laois team? Stay in 1b and play the tier 2 final in Croke Park in the summer is all we should be concerned about right now.

The professionalism of the game and the widening gap is for a different argument.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 03, 2018, 11:58:30 PM
As far as I can see jerseys are earned in Kk on back of club form. These lads getting a chance are hungry to impress and hell bent on taking their chance. Laois on the other hand are handing jerseys to lads who havent proved themselves at club level nevermind county.

A lot of truth in this but they have to try something. 2 of the half back line yesterday play in midfield or are forwards for their clubs. We have so few backs at inter county standard that we have to experiment. Then there is a host of guys who are essentially kids that don't have experience at any level outside minor, including club hurling at a high level. I think the biggest challenge we have is that we have never found replacements for the likes of Joe Fitz, Brian Campion, Butch or John A Delaney. We have plenty of up and coming forwards. Leigh Bergin and Lee Cleere will be really good but they are so young and don't have the physicality yet. It is a strange problem as it is usually harder to find good forwards than backs. 

Laoisguy

Certainly for a supposed mickey mouse Walsh cup game lot of the KK guys hugely up for it 3,8,11,13,14,19 serious operators  standing out

Who was No.26 for Laois came on Late?

merman

Our last two subs were Brian O' Mara and Conor Phelan.

Laoisguy

Tks Merman

Quite thin guy but showed a bit of skill and pace plus a nice score

merman

Quote from: Laoisguy on January 04, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
Tks Merman

Quite thin guy but showed a bit of skill and pace plus a nice score

I'd say that's Steven Dunphy. Borris/Kilcotton; would be only 19. Fine prospect.

redsetanta

Brother of Aaron's I presume. Two very good minors.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on January 04, 2018, 02:33:12 PM
Brother of Aaron's I presume. Two very good minors.

Twins I think. Were on same minor teams.

Tobias

There are quite a few notable absentee's atm. Matthew and Paddy Whelan, Aaron Dunphy, Tom Delaney,
Injured - Cahir Healy, PJ Scully, Dwane Palmer, Picky Maher, Ryan Mullaney, Mark Kavanagh, Neil Foyle, Ross King

There are not that many guys that are not on the panel that could come in and improve the thing, Gearoid Burke and Joe Campion would be good additions but I cant think of many others? Eoin Reilly is out of the country. Possibly Stephen Phelan and Robbie Phelan.
Im excluding the retired guys, that's assuming Zane Keenan is retired too.

Assuming all are fit for the championship id go with this;
E Rowland
C Healy
L Bergin
J Phelan/D Palmer
C Collier
M Whelan
L Cleere
P Purcell
J Ryan
R King
W Dunphy
C Dwyer
P Maher
N Foyle
PJ Scully/M Kavanagh

W Dunphy at centre forward might seem strange but I think he is strong, quick, can hurl and has a good work-rate. Looks tied up in the corner a lot of the time, id like to see him a bit more involved.
The following would give that team fair competition for places - S Downey, E Killeen, A Dunphy, B Conroy, P Whelan, C Stapleton

merman

Laois beat Carlow  in Carlow IT today.
Wasn't at it but both teams minus a lot of regulars.

mountrath1

The match was actually in the centre of excellence and laois won by 30pts to 14. Carlow minus Richard coady .James doyle and a brother of marty kavanagh.  Laois minus leigh bergin..cian..roddy. .cha. willie dunphy  and excluding picky. .cahir. .mark kav. .pj scully. So overall was good to have a look at younger lads of squad

merman

Quote from: mountrath1 on January 13, 2018, 11:38:54 PM
The match was actually in the centre of excellence and laois won by 30pts to 14. Carlow minus Richard coady .James doyle and a brother of marty kavanagh.  Laois minus leigh bergin..cian..roddy. .cha. willie dunphy  and excluding picky. .cahir. .mark kav. .pj scully. So overall was good to have a look at younger lads of squad

I was badly misinformed. I heard Leigh Bergin had a great game at full back!!

Thanks Mountrath1