The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

tbrick18

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 03, 2011, 10:18:06 AM
Friedel joins Spurs on 2yr deal, this is going to be a very busy summer at VP.

ye think?
The biggest mistake ever was losing O'Neill. I dont know what was going on but it looks like it was due to lack of investment after the sale of Barry and Milner. Yet a few months after O'Neill left they go out and spend 24M on one player! Bizzare to say the least. Now if MON had been given that money last summer, I'd say he'd still be there and we'd be on the up.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 03, 2011, 10:29:27 AM

ye think?
The biggest mistake ever was losing O'Neill. I dont know what was going on but it looks like it was due to lack of investment after the sale of Barry and Milner. Yet a few months after O'Neill left they go out and spend 24M on one player! Bizzare to say the least. Now if MON had been given that money last summer, I'd say he'd still be there and we'd be on the up.

Villa need to move on from the O'Neill debacle, he is gone and I would have liked him to stay but you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Randy still has my faith, Young will go but we need to hold on to Downing or we could end up losing Bent too - which would be a disaster as he is already proving himself to be our best signing of the past 20yrs (God being the last).
Looks like the club are going to go all out for Ancelotti, I doubt he will come but at least it's a statement of intent.

Doogie Browser

tbrick18

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 03, 2011, 11:26:19 AM

ye think?

Villa need to move on from the O'Neill debacle, he is gone and I would have liked him to stay but you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Randy still has my faith, Young will go but we need to hold on to Downing or we could end up losing Bent too - which would be a disaster as he is already proving himself to be our best signing of the past 20yrs (God being the last).
Looks like the club are going to go all out for Ancelotti, I doubt he will come but at least it's a statement of intent.

You're right we need to move on.....I'd like to move on with Young though. If we were to get Ancelotti maybe he'd stay....who knows. I wonder will there be money for investment this summer though? I hope we have a new keeper lined up, I'd love to have kept friedel. You wonder who is making the decisions with regards players when this has happened while we have no manager in place. Hopefully we get the manager situation sorted asap....perhaps then we'll have a better idea of what the summer plans are.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 03, 2011, 11:35:41 AM

ye think?

You're right we need to move on.....I'd like to move on with Young though. If we were to get Ancelotti maybe he'd stay....who knows. I wonder will there be money for investment this summer though? I hope we have a new keeper lined up, I'd love to have kept friedel. You wonder who is making the decisions with regards players when this has happened while we have no manager in place. Hopefully we get the manager situation sorted asap....perhaps then we'll have a better idea of what the summer plans are.
Friedel wanted 2yrs and he is 40 now so it was prudent to offer him one, he is in a financial mess so the offer of more money appealed to him, he was great for Villa though our best keeper in years and I wish him every success.  Sounds like Villa re trying to rob Foster off the Blues which would be good business as he is a decent keeper and could be bought for 6-7m.  You are right if we got a manager in the mould of Carlo it would help keep/attract the best players, however it is vital we act soon before other players get unsettled i.e. tapped up.

ross4life

Rafa Benitez now tipped as next Villa boss! laoislad will be taking a huge interest in this thread if true.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AFS

Martinez. Now the bollix can spend his time convincing Richard Dunne and Ciaran Clark not to bother playing for Ireland.

Doogie Browser

Not sure what to make of this, he had Wigan playing good stuff but I would prefer a stronger personality like Moyes.  Benitez demanded 30m for transfers right away, cut to the chase Rafa!

magpie seanie

ye think?

To whom do you refer?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2011, 04:37:38 PM

ye think?

To whom do you refer?
Sasa Curcic

Doogie Browser

Jesus christ, Martinez turns us down now!!  Has anyone Roddy Collin's number?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 09, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2011, 04:37:38 PM

ye think?

To whom do you refer?
Sasa Curcic

I should have just googled rather than expect a straight answer.

Doogie Browser

Sorry Seanie, I thought you were acting the wag!!

lurganblue

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 10, 2011, 12:42:09 PM

This merry-go-round is starting to do my head in. The quicker a decent manager is in place, the quicker villa can begin to prepare. Hopefully it will result in less of the crap performances this season.  The main rumour on twitter is now David Moyes

Doogie Browser

Quote from: lurganblue on June 10, 2011, 04:27:01 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 10, 2011, 12:42:09 PM

This merry-go-round is starting to do my head in. The quicker a decent manager is in place, the quicker villa can begin to prepare. Hopefully it will result in less of the crap performances this season.  The main rumour on twitter is now David Moyes
Moyes was my choice from the start, however twitter rumours also that the Martinez thing was a smokescreen and Hughes is still the choice!  Either way you are right, needs to be sorted soon as the squad needs plenty of work.