The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Doogie Browser

So Barry shows us what he really is, a fan of the big pay day.  He leaves Villa for a team who finished 5 places below us this year despite his protestations about requiring CL football.  f**k him I will not give him another thought now he is gone, great player for us while he was here but £12m is great cash for a player with 12 months to run on his contract.  I am surprised at him though, I naively thought he was one of those soccer players who actually played with some honour (very few of them I know).  He is a class player though and would have been a good acquisition for Liverpool/Arsenal IMO. 
Man City now one of my teams to hate also!! 

Orior

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 02, 2009, 10:19:58 PM
So Barry shows us what he really is, a fan of the big pay day.  He leaves Villa for a team who finished 5 places below us this year despite his protestations about requiring CL football.  f**k him I will not give him another thought now he is gone, great player for us while he was here but £12m is great cash for a player with 12 months to run on his contract.  I am surprised at him though, I naively thought he was one of those soccer players who actually played with some honour (very few of them I know).  He is a class player though and would have been a good acquisition for Liverpool/Arsenal IMO. 

When did you pledge your life to Aston Villa doogie?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Orior on June 02, 2009, 10:26:37 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 02, 2009, 10:19:58 PM

When did you pledge your life to Aston Villa doogie?
Tout ma vie

Doogie Browser

England midfielder Gareth Barry has explained his £12m move from Aston Villa to Manchester City, saying he had a "massive fear of going stale".

In an open letter to Villa's fans published in the Birmingham Mail on Wednesday, Barry said: "I want the chance to explain my decision.

"I have a massive fear of going stale and falling into a comfort zone.

"After changing my mind lots of times I came to the decision that the time was right for me and the club to part."

The future of the 28-year-old has been a constant source of speculation over the past 12 months, with Liverpool pursuing the signature of the former Brighton trainee throughout the summer of 2008.

Barry stated his desire to join the Reds, but with Rafa Benitez unable to match Villa's valuation, then set at £18m, the England international announced that he would stay at Villa Park in August.

"I have grown bored of all the speculation surrounding me over the last 12 months and I am sure all the fans have as well," said Barry.

"I am glad I never left last summer because I would have left under a cloud. This year I feel things are different."

In May, Villa manager Martin O'Neill said that he would consider selling Barry, who had one year left on his contract at Villa Park, to a club who had qualified for the Champions League.

However, City finished six places and 22 points behind the top four clubs in the Premier League this season, all of whom qualify for Europe's elite club competition.

"Once I had spoken to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go," said Barry.

"They were the club prepared to meet the valuation, which for a 28-year-old with a year left on his contract, I think shows how much they wanted me.

"I am convinced with the plans the club has and the backing the manager will receive from the owners, that we will be a major force."

Barry moved to Villa from Brighton as a 16-year-old in 1997 and played over 400 games for the Birmingham club, as well as winning 29 caps for England.

"I feel the club is in the best position it has been in during my time here," added Barry.

"We have very good young players, a fantastic chairman and one of the best managers in the game.

"I want to thank them [the Villa fans] for the incredible support I have received over the last 12 years.

"For the rest of my life Aston Villa will be the first result I look for. Thanks for everything."

DennistheMenace

I could understand if he want to Arsenal or Liverpool but this smacks of a man interested in a large payday and length of contract, Citeh won't even be competiting for a top four place next season.

Villa won't finish in top six next season with Laursen and Barry their two talismen out for one reason or another.

corn02

Birmingham Mail editor is obviously a fan.

Birmingham Mail Editor Steve Dyson has responded to Gareth Barry's letter to the paper explaining his decision to leave the club for Manchester City - here's what Steve had to say to the England star.

Dear Gareth

FOOTBALLERS come and footballers go, but not many take the trouble to write to supporters when they leave a club.

The majority disappear and kiss their new team badge without a thought for the loyal thousands left behind.

So your decision to write to Villa fans explaining your decision to join Manchester City is a welcome one.

Your words describing how you joined Villa as a 16-year-old boy and during the past 12 years have seen many changes at the club will stir fond memories for those who chanted your name as you matured from a promising youngster into an international midfielder respected and admired throughout the game.

They will share your regret that the team and its fans didn't enjoy the success they deserved during that time. And they will pray that you are right when you say that Villa are in a great position to push on.

You are right when you say the manager will be able to strengthen the team with the money generated by the deal but, it has to be said, players like you, Gareth, are few and far between.

Many will understand the turmoil you went through as you struggled to decide what was best for you and your career. They will understand your fears of going stale and slipping into the comfort zone.

But fewer are going to be convinced by the reasons you give for joining Manchester City, a club that has often promised much but delivered nothing.

Gareth, Villa fans could have stomached you joining one of the truly big clubs like Liverpool or Arsenal.

But and no disrespect is meant here Manchester City are hardly one of the giants of the game, are they?

They might have a fortune to spend, but that doesn't guarantee success. Your words don't wash and many supporters will suspect that money lies at the root of your decision.

That said, this city and newspaper is grateful for 12 years of fine service and we send our sincere best wishes for the rest of your career.

Thanks for the memories... but don't pretend that cash has not tempted you!

The Editor

DennistheMenace

Hardly a ringing endorsement of Barry though was it - Clearly questions his decision and states that money probably tempted him.

screenmachine

If someone came in to your place of work and offered you a job doing exactly the same work as you had been doing except that they would double your wages and maybe even more, how many on this board would say no? 
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Maiden1

His open letter is all well and good but he could have summed it all up by

Dear Aston Villa Supporter,

I've had 12 good years at Aston Villa but the owners at Man City have more money than sense and are going to pay me £130,000 per WEEK.  I'd be a mug to turn that down.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

screenmachine

Quote from: Maiden1 on June 03, 2009, 03:02:52 PM
His open letter is all well and good but he could have summed it all up by

Dear Aston Villa Supporter,

I've had 12 good years at Aston Villa but the owners at Man City have more money than sense and are going to pay me £130,000 per WEEK.  I'd be a mug to turn that down.

And so he would be!  It's scary when you actually think of the amount of money them heures make a week compared to what the average joe makes in a year! 
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

tyronefan

its not the leaving that I have the problem with but the bullshit stories there come out with about how they want to advance their careers and play in the champions then go to a club which is on a par with the one they left.

Of course money is the reason and I dont blame him but dont treat the fans like they are stupid.

In the letter to the local paper he never mentions money but we all know that what it is, so off you go and good luck

DennistheMenace

Quote from: screenmachine on June 03, 2009, 02:40:21 PM
If someone came in to your place of work and offered you a job doing exactly the same work as you had been doing except that they would double your wages and maybe even more, how many on this board would say no? 

It's not as if he s short of cash though is it ? What has he actually won in his career and what will he win with Man City ? Nothing would be my guess.

Personally I'd far rather playing Champions League Football and have the chance of winning something with a proper big club than simply going to another club for the money which I already have loads of.

screenmachine

Well he's only gonna be playin at the top level for another 4 years perhaps and if he wishes to maintain his current lifestyle then he has probably made the correct decision from a financial point of view.

Norf Tyrone

Surely if City have Barry and possibly Tevez and 3 or 4 other big money captures they are 14 months frpm the CL group stage as they will over haul Arsenal at the current rate.

Maybe Hughes sold this to Barry?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

DennistheMenace

I'm nearly certain Hughes told Barry something along the lines of 'We're bringing in another 5/6 top class players' etc.. to sell him their ambition, most managers spout that rubbish at the best of times.

Citeh came 9th this season, they will be lucky to be in the top six next season and actually finished 22 points behind 4th place this season.