China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 18, 2020, 11:12:34 AM
So did the Swedes get it right then?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/sweden-records-its-fewest-daily-covid-19-cases-since-march

Too early to say, in 5 years time perhaps we can answer that question. The usual lads will say Sweden called it badly wrong.

Norf Tyrone

"Otherwise, the population of 10 million was asked, rather than ordered, to respect physical distancing and work from home if possible, which it largely did."

How would people in Ireland etc react to being asked to not mix in pubs etc? It would've been carnage. We are a much more militant population than the Scandinavians I would suggest.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rudi

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 18, 2020, 11:45:33 AM
"Otherwise, the population of 10 million was asked, rather than ordered, to respect physical distancing and work from home if possible, which it largely did."

How would people in Ireland etc react to being asked to not mix in pubs etc? It would've been carnage. We are a much more militant population than the Scandinavians I would suggest.

I think Irish people have become pretty compliant apart from a few militant hard left & right nutters. Examples of non compliance would be the water rates debacle & recent anti mask rallies.

Denn Forever

Are  the pubs open again?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Taylor

Something that would be a big concern in the future would be the long term effects of getting the virus.

I know of 5 people that had it.

3 have made a full recovery with no side effects.

The other 2 are not so lucky. Both under 40 & healthy before they caught it

One is still suffering - no energy/pains in the chest/breathing problems.
The other is still going through tests in hospital for chest problems.

Looks like no one know the long term damage.

Rossfan

A new virus so things only coming to light as it goes on.
Some of the after effects are frightening and hopefully those that haven't any will stay that way.
Not much consolation telling Taylor's 2 friends that 98.86% dont die from it.
99.99% of people don't drown in the sea but we still have lifeboats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 01:01:58 PM
Some of the after effects are frightening and hopefully those that haven't any will stay that way.

There are other effects of the virus that are hard to impossible to define in terms of numbers. Mental health, shut down of essential life saving medical appointments/ treatment. Huge amount of collateral damage caused by Covid.

thewobbler

Quote from: Rudi on September 18, 2020, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 01:01:58 PM

There are other effects of the virus that are hard to impossible to define in terms of numbers. Mental health, shut down of essential life saving medical appointments/ treatment. Huge amount of collateral damage caused by Covid.

This is it summed up for me.

We can throw a load of eggs in the "we don't know the lasting effects of Covid" basket.

But those eggs will come from baskets we are very aware of.

The greater gamble - in my opinion only - is to postpone the present for a future we can't predict.

Rossfan

So Rudi do we ignore the Covid and get on with business as pre 2020 usual and tough luck on those who get it.
The Yanks seemed to start on that road for a while if I recall correctly?
By the way the Brits must be in right trouble with their testing seeing as they asked us could we help them!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 18, 2020, 11:12:34 AM
So did the Swedes get it right then?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/sweden-records-its-fewest-daily-covid-19-cases-since-march

Sweden needs to be compared to Norway, Denmark and Finland to get a reasonable idea of how their strategy worked in that part of the world. Better geographical and cultural comparison.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 01:43:22 PM
So Rudi do we ignore the Covid and get on with business as pre 2020 usual and tough luck on those who get it.
By the way the Brits must be in right trouble with their testing seeing as they asked us could we help them!!

You draw strange conclusions, you called me a Covid denier before. I appreciate this virus is new to the western world and scientists/ people in authority need to play things safe until more is known, however some sort of middle ground or balance is required.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 01:43:22 PM

We do this with everything else. Why not Covid?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2020, 12:09:31 PM
Something that would be a big concern in the future would be the long term effects of getting the virus.

Of the 2 that's still suffering did they require hospital treatment when they got the virus? While this is a new virus and loads to be learnt about it  yet we must be remember that any viral infection usually causes myocarditis.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Taylor

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 18, 2020, 01:59:10 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2020, 12:09:31 PM

Of the 2 that's still suffering did they require hospital treatment when they got the virus? While this is a new virus and loads to be learnt about it  yet we must be remember that any viral infection usually causes myocarditis.

Both of them had attended hospital but neither were admitted.

Both sent home and told to isolate etc. (separate incidents and separate families)