More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: naka on February 13, 2020, 10:49:51 PM
Agreed the craigavon 2 case stinks to high heaven inevery respect.

It certainly does.

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2020, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 13, 2020, 06:54:28 PM
Quote from: naka on February 13, 2020, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 12, 2020, 07:07:59 PM
Man charged in connection with Lyra McKee murder

QuotePolice in Northern Ireland have charged a 52-year-old man in connection with the murder of journalist Lyra McKee.

The man, who was arrested yesterday, has also been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, and professing to be a member of a proscribed organisation.

He will appear at Derry Magistrates Court tomorrow.

PSNI Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy said: "I have always said a number of individuals were involved with the gunman on the night Lyra was killed, and while today is significant for the investigation the quest for the evidence to bring the gunman to justice remains active and ongoing."

Ms McKee was shot dead in Derry as she observed rioting on 18 April last year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0212/1114882-lyra-mckee/
somewhat sensationalist
the guys charged  is alleged to have picked up some spent bullet casings from the shooter.
far be it from me to be the judge but it will be interesting to see teh attempt to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty of murder

I don't get how he can be charged with murder? Surely there has to be intent and I doubt it was their intent to kill Lyra McKee. Maybe one of our legal professionals can explain it?

Was it their intent to kill someone? Does the victim matter? Whoever brought the gun, used it to shoot at people to kill them, I don't think they were shooting for the craic. Had they shot a family member you might have a different view on it

I don't support them and hope that the people who done it go down but I don't see how they prove intent in this case and therefore murder. Intent is the key word. Motive may come into to I suppose. I'm not a legal professional at all, I done a bit of it while school but nothing more, hence my question. Are you?

brokencrossbar1

Opportunistic charging following on from Republican success in election....who'd have thunked it?  He will not face trial likely and the defence will have the charges withdrawn at early legal arguments.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: general_lee on February 13, 2020, 09:54:52 PM
Quote from: naka on February 13, 2020, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2020, 07:36:04 PM
Part of a joint enterprise?
Argument then  by the defence QC could be that every rioter there was part of the joint enterprise.
It's going to be a toughie to prosecute.
Don't see it myself.
I'm no fan of saoradh but like the Craigavon PSNI murder in 2009 it looks like they'll use whatever weak evidence is at hand to push for a conviction.

Pressure from the top will do that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 14, 2020, 06:19:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2020, 11:25:33 PM

QuotePolice in Northern Ireland have charged a 52-year-old man in connection with the murder of journalist Lyra McKee.

The man, who was arrested yesterday, has also been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, and professing to be a member of a proscribed organisation.

PSNI Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy said: "I have always said a number of individuals were involved with the gunman on the night Lyra was killed, and while today is significant for the investigation the quest for the evidence to bring the gunman to justice remains active and ongoing."

somewhat sensationalist
the guys charged  is alleged to have picked up some spent bullet casings from the shooter.
far be it from me to be the judge but it will be interesting to see teh attempt to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty of murder

I don't get how he can be charged with murder? Surely there has to be intent and I doubt it was their intent to kill Lyra McKee. Maybe one of our legal professionals can explain it?

Was it their intent to kill someone? Does the victim matter? Whoever brought the gun, used it to shoot at people to kill them, I don't think they were shooting for the craic. Had they shot a family member you might have a different view on it

I don't support them and hope that the people who done it go down but I don't see how they prove intent in this case and therefore murder. Intent is the key word. Motive may come into to I suppose. I'm not a legal professional at all, I done a bit of it while school but nothing more, hence my question. Are you?

I'm not saying for a second the guy they have lifted has done the shooting, and unless the courts can prove he did that's how it will be, but whoever brought a gun to a riot to shoot at people, was intent on killing people or someone. That happened, whether he intended to shoot the girl, that's another question. The law around the murdering of someone has to show intent and I get that completely. I've no idea on the court system and I haven't brought that into my post, its just my view
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim_Murphy_74

somewhat sensationalist

Mens rea can also be established if a an action is deemed so reckless that it showed disregard for human life.   Firing into a crowd of people could be adjudged to be such an action.

Joint enterprise could be invoked for taking the shells away to remove evidence.

/Jim.

tonto1888

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 14, 2020, 02:10:23 PM

somewhat sensationalist

Mens rea can also be established if a an action is deemed so reckless that it showed disregard for human life.   Firing into a crowd of people could be adjudged to be such an action.

Joint enterprise could be invoked for taking the shells away to remove evidence.

/Jim.

Cheers for that. However, what is joint enterprise