Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

heres my stab at the panel.fill in anyone ive left out pl We look very exposed without Mcgarrity at midfield. any thruth in the HS rumour Parsons had been brought onto the panel?(mid you they are also touting Colm forde and G duffy ) but parsons would make some sense
goalies
K O Malley
Clarke

backs
K Higgins
J Kilcullen
L O Malley
P Gardiner
BJ Padden
E Devenney
D Heaney
Jnallen
Pnavin
a higgins
Ger mullins

D Brady
P Harte

Forwards
C mcdonald
K O Neill
A Dillon
A Moran
G Brady
C Mort
Aom
Tmort
a Campbell
a kilcoyne
M Mcnicholas
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OirthearMhaigheo

Haven't heard anything about Parsons being called up, would be a bit surprised by it too as he looked a little light-weight for the U-21s, he needs a bit more time imho. That's probably close enough to the squad there Ros, can't see too many additions until the likes of Barry Moran gets back from injury.

Duine Eile

Well boys and girls, only a week to go to the big show down! Impossible to know how it will go, here's my go at the naming the Galway team:

1.Paul Doherty 

2.Kieran Fitzgerald(Capt)
3.Finian Hanley
4.Damien Burke

5.Declan Meehan
6.Diarmuid Blake
7.Niall Coyne

8.Barry Cullinane/Paul Geraghty (Nothing between them as I said before)
9.Joe Bergin

10.Niall Coleman
11.Derek Savage (Hopefully not Ja, not up to league pace never mind championship but you never know with Ford)
12.Cormac Bane

13.Mike Meehan
14.Padraic Joyce
15.Nicky Joyce

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 13, 2007, 10:42:12 PM
Well boys and girls, only a week to go to the big show down! Impossible to know how it will go, here's my go at the naming the Galway team:

1.Paul Doherty 

3.Finian Hanley
4.Damien Burke

5.Declan Meehan
6.Diarmuid Blake
7.Niall Coyne

9.Joe Bergin

10.Niall Coleman
11.Derek Savage (Hopefully not Ja, not up to league pace never mind championship but you never know with Ford)
12.Cormac Bane

13.Mike Meehan
14.Padraic Joyce
15.Nicky Joyce

More or less the team I'd pick DE.

Half-forward line definitely could be a weakness but it's hard to find replacements for players of the calibre of Michael Donnellan and Paul Clancy who would both be lining out there.

Duine Eile

Yeah agree about the half forward line GBB, Niall Coleman in there might give them a bit more ball winning ability though I can see him being drafted into mid field. I'm just hoping Ja isn't thrown in for that bit of experience, not a whole lot between himself and Savo but Derek can be vital in winning frees and he's quicker than Ja. It's times like this you realise what a vital part of this Galway team Paul Clancy really was.Nicky Joyce will probably be named at 12 and Bane at 15 but I think they might be better suited the other way round, Bane is that bit stronger than Joyce I'd say and able to handle the rough and tumble better, Nicky is also more dangerous nearer the goal. It's also time for Mike Meehan to come back to his best, we're going to need everyone on top of their game if we're to get anything out of this clash.

Farrandeelin

Anybody know what game is on before the main match? I would have assumed the minors but with exams and all that coming up it'd be unfair on them. The fact that Down and Cavan minors played yesterday though must mean that this game will be preceded by the minor fixture as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tatler Jack

Leitrim and Sligo have still to play to decide who play Galway. Mayo and Roscommon in the other minor semi. Think games will be after the Leaving cert.

Msgr. Horan

In fairness thats a savage full foward line Galway potentially have if all 3 are playing well. P Joyce certainly seems to be, hopefully the other two wont be from a Mayo perspective.

GalwaySham

Quote1.Paul Doherty 

3.Finian Hanley
4.Damien Burke

5.Declan Meehan
6.Diarmuid Blake
7.Niall Coyne

9.Joe Bergin

10.Niall Coleman
12.Cormac Bane

13.Mike Meehan
14.Padraic Joyce
15.Nicky Joyce

I hear Blake is out, so that'll mean Coyne at 6 and Comer at 7.

Is Fitzgerald confirmed as captain? I would have given it to D. Burke, seems more assured of his place.

I agree that Savage might ba better option than Ja. Ja could be useful as a sub as well.

I'd have Bane number 15, He has proven that he is a good scorer during the league, wouldnt see the point of moving him further away from goal. I thought Nicky Joyce played better at number 12 too during the league than he did at 15. Any chance of Armstrong making an appearance???

muscles magoo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2007, 09:32:18 AM
Anybody know what game is on before the main match? I would have assumed the minors but with exams and all that coming up it'd be unfair on them. The fact that Down and Cavan minors played yesterday though must mean that this game will be preceded by the minor fixture as well.

Think it's the Connacht Junior Final between Mayo and Sligo.

prewtna

now lads of the tribe and the plain of yews.

its almost upon us.

enuf with the saw docs lyrics for the next few days. although my favourite memory in galway was 99. lashing rain. walking back through tuam when lo and behold in the middle of the town an artic truck was set up to blare out the fields of ahenry. but aha no point. pat fallen + co saw to that. instead twas the green + red of mayo being roared by thousands.

ah the memories.........

roll on salthill and hopefully not the sunburn like before!

guy crouchback

What a shame  tuam was not redevoloped instead of Salthill. the traffic is so bad that  I have decided not to go to this game. I just cannot face sitting in the car  for 3 to 4 hours afterwards. Last year i was getting home from croker (to ballina) quicker then from galway.
it must be the worst single spot in the whole of county Galway to build a stadium. in a housing estate by the sea with one road out.

prewtna

ya its a nightmare alright. best thing to do is abandon the car in the housing estate til 9o'clock or so that night and if the weather is anyways good go for a stroll along the prom. the eye-candy along there when the sun shines is savage! admitadly the GAA jerseys dont do anyone any favours! when the sun sets head into quay street.

AbbeySider

Quote from: prewtna on May 14, 2007, 12:57:54 PM
ya its a nightmare alright. best thing to do is abandon the car in the housing estate til 9o'clock or so that night and if the weather is anyways good go for a stroll along the prom. the eye-candy along there when the sun shines is savage! admitadly the GAA jerseys dont do anyone any favours! when the sun sets head into quay street.

Good call, leave the car for a few hours until the traffic dies down.

A few pints (or minerals of your the one driving) in quay street could do the trick.

Toasting a Mayo victory of course !  ;D

An Fhairche Abu

QuoteI hear Blake is out

Massive loss IMO, although Coyne was good in the league, Blake has been huge at CHB for us.