Mayo v Galway NFL Semi-Final

Started by Redgreenery, April 08, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwaySham

yeah, agree with that about Bane. He never seems to play particuarly well but always ends up with a couple of points from play at the end of a match so he's worth his place on the team. I wonder what he scored altogether in the league, He couldnt be far off being Galways top scorer, Would he?

Duine Eile

Cormac Bane is Galway's 3rd highest scorer with 0-11/ Padraic Joyce is top with 1-22, Nicky Joyce next with 1-15 and then Bane. It's all in yesterdays match programme if you have it.

WJP11

Video clips of Mayo's scores at Croker yesterday are available on my blog at: http://www.mayogaablog.blogspot.com/

belleaqua

Have to say im more positive about Galways chances on May 20th to the point where I think we will take them. Just a few observations about both sides.

I thought Devenney played well and the criticism here is a bit unjust. Only problem is the balance in the half back line in two attacking wing backs and a converted forward at centre back.

As regards Mortimer being held illegaly, I was on the fourteen yard line in the Canal End and have to say Kilcullen was hangin out of Joyce alot of the time too.

Galway backs look really impressive. I think if Blake replaces Coyne there we will have a great six and id like to see Coleman partner Bergin at midfield.

Up front Meehan was off the pace completely. But saying that I read a good point in one of todays papers, its impossible to see Higgins doing that job on him again.

Also Kilcullen just did enough on Joyce which I am personally delighted about, I think PJ will give him a right roasting in May.

Another comment in todays paper noted the smile Joyce gave when he missed the last equalising chance, as if to say that the real thing is May!

GalwayBayBoy

Wouldn't mind seeing Coleman partner Bergin in midfield either. Coleman isn't big for a midfielder but he still catches his fair share of ball plus he has that bit of aggression to his game that some of the others don't. However he may be needed in the half-forward line as this is the line of the field that worries me most about the team at present. Nicky Joyce will probably take one spot but unless Paul Clancy is back the other spots will be between Ja, Savo and Mattie Clancy which woudn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence. Either that or you play Armstrong in the corner and move Bane out or something.

Would prefer to see Blake back at no 6 which would release Deccie to the wing. Think I'd drop Comer ahead of Coyne though to make way.

Think Hanley will be a top class full-back but he's still young and learning the game. I'd like him to be a bit more careful when he's handpassing out of defence as he threw one or two loose ones yesterday which ended up as Mayo points.

Either way it looks like it could be another very tight game in a few weeks.

Duine Eile

Enjoyable enough game, lacked the tension and intensity of championship though. Lot of mistakes from both sides. Galway still have yet to win their first match in Croke Park since 2001. Hopefully they'll have the chance during the summer!

1. Paul Doherty: Did well to save the penalty but he's dodgy as hell. Should have come out on Brady but stayed on his line and didn't give himself a chance. From what I know of Colm King he's a decent enough keeper, would be interesting to see if he's any improvement. Just don't trust Doherty to be honest.

2. Kieran Fitzgerald: Did fairly well, was unlucky to be caught for the penalty, hadn't a chance to get rid of the ball and from where I was sitting it looked like he was fouled beforehand. Still played ok though.

3. Finian Hanley: Has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few games. Has made the no.3 jersey his own at this stage.

4. Damien Burke: One of our best and most under-rated backs . Gets better with every game he plays. Honourable mention here has to go to the pigeon of course! Played a blinder. Can't understand why one of the linesmen or grounds men didn't move it.

5. Declan Meehan: Covered acres of ground, didn't do too badly, still has a bit to go to get back to his usual best though.

6. Niall Coyne: I was very impressed with Coyne, Blake will be hard pressed to get him moved out of the no.6 position I'd say. Was brilliant yesterday.

7. Mike Comer: Not one of his best days. If Blake is to dislodge one of the halfback line I'd say it'll be him.

8. Diarmuid Blake: Didn't do too badly at all, won a fair amount of ball and is a much better footballer than Geraghty or Cullinane.

9. Joe Bergin: Has a few good moments but gets nervous on the ball when the pressure is on and tends to lose it easily. Hope his form improves because he's about the only half decent mid-fielder we have.

10. Derek Savage: Quiet enough, scored one good point but the forward line need more from him.

11. Ja Fallon: Ja's best days are behind him. He'd probably be better utilised as an impact sub. He doesn't have the legs for it and shot some absolutely brutal wides. His place will probably go to Coleman or Armstrong for the championship.

12. Nicky Joyce: Had a good game, can't understand why he was taken off. Has played well throughout the league but I think he's a better option in the full forward line, not really able to tackle and scores more closer the goal. Also nice to see we have a consistent free taker from the left wing now, would I be right in saying he's probably the first since Niall Finnegan?

13. Mike Meehan: Started badly with a missed free and this trend continued throughout the game. That said, although he didn't score, he still set up some scores for the other lads. Strange though how he never seems to play well against Mayo.

14. Padraic Joyce: Easily the best player we have and God help us when he retires. Was involved in nearly every score we got. Seems to have the hunger back for this year, hopefully he'll keep it up for the championship. Unlucky not to level it at the end.

15. Cormac Bane: Can hit monsters of points but he's about as predictable as the weather. didn't do too badly yesterday, will probably start on May 20th but needs to up his game a bit. I'd swap himself and Nicky Joyce though.

One bit of a rant I have to vent is why the hell did Peter Forde take off Mike Meehan and Nicky Joyce? If any of the forwards were going to get a score these would be two of the most likely. Takes them off and leaves on Ja and Savo. Absolutely ridiculous. Anyway, leaves things nicely poised for May 20th.

Maradona

Can never understand this 'the real thing is in May' / 'this is just a dress rehearsal' / 'its only the league' stuff - its just an excuse in defeat. I can only speak for myself, but I would have been extremely p*ssed off if we had lost yesterday. No player or manager likes to ever loose, particularly not in a match like the semi of the second most important competion in intercounty football. You can be rightly sure Galway were v dissapointed to loose yesterday. The reality is that the game was there for the winning yesterday and Galway werent able to take it. I am pretty happy that we beat a fairly full strength Galway without 3-4 regulars and were able to close out a tight game.

DJGaliv

Well lads, was a good game, although it lacked an awful amount in intensity. I don't think I saw one big hit at all in the whole game. Congrats Mayo though, and I hope they beat Donegal in the final.

Galway will learn a lot more in defeat than they will have in a "paper of the cracks" victory. Our defence, as expected played well. I like the look of our full-back line. It's beginning to look very solid, something that couldn't have been said in the last five years. Hanley and Damien Burke were very good, although Fitzy had a mixed day. I might be over-critical of the all-star Fitzgerald, but I haven't seen him put up a top performance in quite some time. The reaction for the penalty save was absolutely shocking, and the turning point for the game.

The half back line were pretty tight. Despite Coyne's performance, I still think Blake is the man to anchor us. He's much more settled in position, and always seems to have a bit of time on the ball, and picks the right pass. That's a sign of a top footballer. One thing we have to work on is our distribution out of defence. Our half forward line is so weak that if a decent ball is not sent into the forwards, it's back down on top of our full-back line within seconds. I think Comer will be the one to lose out here come May 20th. If Blake is sent back to no.6, perhaps Alan Burke is a better choice for wing back than Coyne. Although Alan Burke's distribution is better, Coyne's extra physicality might be more suited.

The midfield were well on top, but that was expected against a Mayo central pairing missing both Brady and McGarrity. I thought Bergin did very well, although you could see Blake was a no.6 playing out of position. This allowed Bergin to go on the attack, safe in the knowledge that Blake was minding the house, which he probably wouldn't have been able to if one of the two beasts, Geraghty or Cullinane, were partnering him.

What can I say about the half forward line. Nicky Joyce, Ja and Savage hardly strikes fear into the opposition. We were lucky that Mayo's half back line's passing wasn't up to scratch. We definitely need Paul Clancy back in there. Ja is unfortunately past it as a 70 minute player, although he'd be a fine impact sub. He's having a tough time leading a tepid half forward line. I'd say come May 20th, we might play a two man full forward line, with Ja hoovering up round midfield. He had the better of BJP in the first half, but tired after that. Nicky did well from free taking duties, and from general play. But he belongs in the full forward line. Hastling, harrying, and tracking back are not really things that he excels in. Savage, well, savage was only alright. He's been only alright for a long time now. Like in the 2000 AIF, he went for a score and failed pathetically with a better placed man outside him. I can't believe that Cullinane and Coleman were brought on, and neither Ja or Savo were taken off.

The inside line worked well. I like Bane, he's an unassuming footballer. There's a lot of potential there. He kicked some great scores, and generally showed well for the ball. He went missing for a while, but I suppose so did the rest of the team after the penalty. Joyce was very good. He knows he's the beating of Kilcoyne come May 20th. Kilcoyne did well on him on Sunday though. However he was turned easily enough. Kilcoyne made up for this with some great blocks, and last ditch tackling. But so much last ditch tackling would worry me if I was JOM. Mike Meehan won a lot of ball, but when he got it, he didn't do much. He looked like a guy who has more important things to think about than football. He appears pretty frustrated. Perhaps a spell out at centre forward would give a bit of freedom from the sticky marking he's had to endure for the past few years. Higgins was very good. No last ditch tackling there, just good honest hassling, and harrying. Played him to a tee.

I was disappointed in Forde's decision making again. First his decision to try Blake in midfield for the first time this year, in a league semi-final! Secondly for his crazy substitutions. Two points down, and he brings on Coleman and Cullinane for Nicky Joyce and Mike Meehan. Fair enough Meehan was having an off day, but I would have thought that Cullinane could have come on for Comer, moving Coyne to 7, and Blake back to center back. Coleman would have been worth a go in the half forward line ahead of Ja or Savage. Take your pick, neither man was going to kick a score for us. Meehan and Nicky on the otherhand, are capable of creating and taking a score with little fuss.

Galway know they've a lot to work on, but they know that they are well capable of beating this Mayo team. Although we lost by two points, this may prove to be a confidence boost for Galway. Mayo will be favourites going into the showdown by the sea, what with all their players coming back from injury. However, Galway fans won't be too disheartened, there's plenty of positives. We were narrowly defeated despite nobody playing anywhere near their full potential. We also have a far more settled looking team than Mayo. Mayo have a few experiments going on which we probably won't see in Salthill. Whether that will be to their benefit, it's hard to say.

Good point by Maradona, although games between Mayo and Galway are so tight, that psychology can come in to it. Galway know they had the beating of Mayo, and they know they didn't play well. Last year they comfortably accounted for Mayo, then were kicked around Castlebar, and lucky to escape without a heavier beating. This year, in Pearse, Mayo will arrive with Galway's former manager, an all-Ireland winner, a win against Galway fresh in their minds, and either a league title, or another glorious defeat in Croker under their belts. Galway have nothing to lose. That's a dangerous team. I don't think either team has reached such a level of consistency that they think that they can beat their arch-rivals every time. This ones yours lads, Salthill will be interesting. I, for one, can't wait!

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteYou can be rightly sure Galway were v dissapointed to loose yesterday

I'm sure they were disappointed and they would have liked to win but I doubt they woke up today in the depths of despair about it. Padraig Joyce was smiling after he put one wide at the death. I doubt he'd be grinning if he misses a chance to level a game come the Summer. The league is nice to win but I could barely tell you who won it two years ago. Or the year before that. That's just the way it is.

I think Galway fans are just relatively happy as some feared we'd get beaten out the gate by 6 or 7 points on the day. As it was we had a close up look at Mayo and could easily have won the game had a couple of things gone our way. As it said in one of the papers today the two Mayo goals came somewhat against the run of play so I think most Galway fans are happy that the team is maybe in half-decent shape although lots more needs to be done yet.

QuoteI am pretty happy that we beat a fairly full strength Galway without 3-4 regulars and were able to close out a tight game.

We had no Paul Clancy, Sean Armstrong, Paul Geraghty and Niall Coleman was only fit enough to come in near the end. Likely that two or three of those will be in the team come May.

belleaqua

Quote from: DJGaliv on April 16, 2007, 08:47:57 PM
Mike Meehan won a lot of ball, but when he got it, he didn't do much. He looked like a guy who has more important things to think about than football. He appears pretty frustrated. Perhaps a spell out at centre forward would give a bit of freedom from the sticky marking he's had to endure for the past few years. Higgins was very good. No last ditch tackling there, just good honest hassling, and harrying. Played him to a tee.

Spot on there. Iv watched Meehan since Hogan Cup and his body language strikes me as different. Obviously recent circumstances have dictated that. Seems very disillusioned at the moment but id never write the guy off. He'l make up for that in the summer.

This allowed Bergin to go on the attack, safe in the knowledge that Blake was minding the house, which he probably wouldn't have been able to if one of the two beasts, Geraghty or Cullinane, were partnering him. ;D ;D ;D

GalwaySham

QuoteWe had no Paul Clancy, Sean Armstrong, Paul Geraghty and Niall Coleman was only fit enough to come in near the end. Likely that two or three of those will be in the team come May.

Was Geraghty injred???

AbbeySider

Quote from: WJP11 on April 16, 2007, 03:33:57 PM
Video clips of Mayo's scores at Croker yesterday are available on my blog at: http://www.mayogaablog.blogspot.com/

Well done on the Blog, I had a quick read there. il read more when I get the chance. You could be the next Spalpin!

belleaqua

Can someone please clear up whether Paul Clancy will play with Galway this year? No speculation wanted! Any concrete evidence that he will be back??

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 16, 2007, 08:48:20 PM
QuoteYou can be rightly sure Galway were v dissapointed to loose yesterday

I'm sure they were disappointed and they would have liked to win but I doubt they woke up today in the depths of despair about it. Padraig Joyce was smiling after he put one wide at the death. I doubt he'd be grinning if he misses a chance to level a game come the Summer. The league is nice to win but I could barely tell you who won it two years ago. Or the year before that. That's just the way it is.

We had no Paul Clancy, Sean Armstrong, Paul Geraghty and Niall Coleman was only fit enough to come in near the end. Likely that two or three of those will be in the team come May.

[/quote]

And we had no David Brady, Ronan McGarritty, Trevor Mortimer, Ciaran MacDonald, Austin O'Malley

Really, well let me refresh your memory, two outta the last three years the League champions became the All Ireland champions a few months later. Theres no guarantees but it certainly is relevant.
people talk about Mayos supposed poor record in Croke Park, it dosent hold a candle to Galways in recent times if we look at the facts. Granted the last time ye won there was winning Sam, something we clearly havent been able to do. But are Galway people not the slightest bit worried about not being able to win in Croker in the last 6 years? Contrast that to Mayo who, notwithstanding the two massive well documented capitulations to the Kingdom have a fine recent record in croker, beating Tyrone (reigning All Ireland champs), Fermanagh, Laois and of course most famously the Dubs all in Croker. granted its clear from the genius analysis here that the match in Pearse Stadium is a foregone conclusion and Galway will be capturing the Connacht Championship this year, but how are ye going to deal with whats now becoming the Croker issue?

Mayos goals were soft, maybe so, but we still scored them. Are no Galway men worried that it there was 3 Mayo players quicker to the saved penalty than the Galway backs? Of the two teams it looked to me like Galway were playing closer to a championship type pace, yet Mayo were the team that won.
Lads ye're completed entitled to analyis the match and ye're team any way ye want, but the overriding attitude seems to be that Mayo have no chance in Pearse Stadium. I find that incredibly arrogant given that two teams went to play in Croker and Mayo won.

MaroonAndWhite

I can see why a change was made in the half forward line...all well and good having scoring forwards inside but theyre not much use if they are not getting the ball. That said, he should have put Coleman in for Meehan and put Nicky inside. Nicky has serious pace which Mike Meehan doesnt and I believe he is capable of giving any corner back a serious roasting. Blake to six, Coyne to seven and Comer to be dropped. Cullinane in at midfield and Coleman and Bane at wing forward with Matt Clancy at 11 to run straight at Padden in May. Meehan, PJ and Nicky at 13,14 & 15 respectively. There is enough ball winners from 8 - 12 top ensure the full forward line gets an ample amount of ball to put up the scores.