Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Tim’s Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM
If ever there was an argument for a tiered championship this match was it. We got a great game against 2 evenly matched teams , however they are so far off the top table it is shocking . Two teams would be intermediate in a county championship scenario.No disrespect to Roscommon but they will do well not to be beat by 10 points in each super 8 game. McStay and Roscommon though has a plan and see the 3 games as a progression to Div 1 next year and then come back stronger to championship next year. Armagh however despite the best endeavours of a number of players are back to square one next year with no idea of who will play who won’t , will management be retained or let go after another poor day at the office yesterday !!!!!!

Evenly matched? if Roscommon weren't so wasteful on the amount of goal chances they would have won by double the score they did. There is little or no appetite for tiered championship especially one like in Hurling. We already have the league for that anyway for "lesser" teams to develop and improve. Armagh very much work in progress and they should be looking to progress further in Div 2 next year.

You do realize that Roscommon have already faced a "super 8" team already this summer in Galway and it took Galway until injury time to win that game. Are Tyrone and Donegal better than Galway i'd wonder.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Baggio90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM
If ever there was an argument for a tiered championship this match was it. We got a great game against 2 evenly matched teams , however they are so far off the top table it is shocking . Two teams would be intermediate in a county championship scenario.No disrespect to Roscommon but they will do well not to be beat by 10 points in each super 8 game. McStay and Roscommon though has a plan and see the 3 games as a progression to Div 1 next year and then come back stronger to championship next year. Armagh however despite the best endeavours of a number of players are back to square one next year with no idea of who will play who won't , will management be retained or let go after another poor day at the office yesterday !!!!!!
Are Tyrone and Donegal better than Galway i'd wonder.

I'd say so, they've won Championship matches at Croke Park in the last 17 years at least.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 03:03:03 PM

I'd say so, they've won Championship matches at Croke Park in the last 17 years at least.
I deal with the here and now. The weeks and months ahead should tell us all where Tyrone,Galway and Donegal really stand.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Throw ball

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM
If ever there was an argument for a tiered championship this match was it. We got a great game against 2 evenly matched teams , however they are so far off the top table it is shocking . Two teams would be intermediate in a county championship scenario.No disrespect to Roscommon but they will do well not to be beat by 10 points in each super 8 game. McStay and Roscommon though has a plan and see the 3 games as a progression to Div 1 next year and then come back stronger to championship next year. Armagh however despite the best endeavours of a number of players are back to square one next year with no idea of who will play who won't , will management be retained or let go after another poor day at the office yesterday !!!!!!

Evenly matched? if Roscommon weren't so wasteful on the amount of goal chances they would have won by double the score they did. There is little or no appetite for tiered championship especially one like in Hurling. We already have the league for that anyway for "lesser" teams to develop and improve. Armagh very much work in progress and they should be looking to progress further in Div 2 next year.

You do realize that Roscommon have already faced a "super 8" team already this summer in Galway and it took Galway until injury time to win that game. Are Tyrone and Donegal better than Galway i'd wonder.

While I appreciate why you are replying I feel you are being over critical on Armagh. Remember this was their 4th match in 5 weeks and in that time they lost their top scorer in league and full back to injury. Sheridan in midfield couldn't last as he is only back from injury. The missing players mentioned many times also weakened the bench and the recovery from playing in scorching temperatures last week cannot be underestimated. For me the teams were evenly matched until Armagh had to go to the bench as they ran out if steam. A couple of the goal scoring chances you mention came as a result of Donaghy being substituted and Armagh pushing up for scores without the legs to get back.

Baggio90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 03:13:42 PM

I deal with the here and now. The weeks and months ahead should tell us all where Tyrone,Galway and Donegal really stand.

The here and now says Galway haven't won a Championship game in Croke Park in 17 years.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Throw ball on July 08, 2018, 03:15:08 PM

While I appreciate why you are replying I feel you are being over critical on Armagh. Remember this was their 4th match in 5 weeks and in that time they lost their top scorer in league and full back to injury. Sheridan in midfield couldn't last as he is only back from injury. The missing players mentioned many times also weakened the bench and the recovery from playing in scorching temperatures last week cannot be underestimated. For me the teams were evenly matched until Armagh had to go to the bench as they ran out if steam. A couple of the goal scoring chances you mention came as a result of Donaghy being substituted and Armagh pushing up for scores without the legs to get back.
Wasn't my intention to be critical of Armagh was more replying to that daft post above. I think Armagh have a nice team there now with a lot of quality footballers and can improve to reach the last 8 again in the foreseeable future

Armagh over the last number of years have been a momentum team they improve with each game and if memory serves me right they played 5 games in row when they reached the All Ireland quarter final and pushed Donegal all the way in 2014.

Roscommon was creating goal chances throughout that game even in the 1st minute Cathal Cregg had a shot blocked by a Armagh foot. Scorching temperatures yes wouldn't have helped but on injuries the rossies also had that problem by losing good players before the game in Brian Stack,Fergal Lennon and Ultan Harney before throw in and Compton one of their most important players wasn't fit for a full 70 mins yesterday. Some of their subs they brought on yesterday played little of no league football so they were light on the bench also.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 04:00:36 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 03:13:42 PM

The here and now says Galway haven't won a Championship game in Croke Park in 17 years.
The here and now is a new group format starting next week and Galway can lose in Croke Park next Sunday and still reach the last four.

Baggio90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 04:09:24 PM

Wasn't my intention to be critical of Armagh was more replying to daft post above. I think Armagh have a nice team there now with a lot of quality footballers and can improve to reach the last 8 again in the foreseeable future

Armagh over the last number of years have been a momentum team they improve with each game and if memory serves me right they played 5 games in row when they reached the All Ireland quarter final and pushed Donegal all the way in 2014.

Roscommon was creating goal chances throughout that game even in the 1st minute Cathal Cregg had a shot blocked by a Armagh foot. Scorching temperatures yes wouldn't have helped but on injuries the rossies also had that problem by losing good players before the game in Brian Stack,Fergal Lennon and Ultan Harney before throw in and Compton one of their most important players wasn't fit for a full 70 mins yesterday. Some of their subs they brought on yesterday played little of no league football so they were light on the bench also.

The two teams were fairly evenly matched. Game was in the melting pot with a few minutes to go, I don't see what's wrong with stating there's not a lot between the two teams.

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 04:09:24 PM

Wasn't my intention to be critical of Armagh was more replying to that daft post above. I think Armagh have a nice team there now with a lot of quality footballers and can improve to reach the last 8 again in the foreseeable future

Only reason Comp didn't feature much in the league was because he was injured. Paterson was with his club until half way through the league as they made the AI final. He featured a lot last year.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 04:11:35 PM
The two teams were fairly evenly matched. Game was in the melting pot with a few minutes to go, I don't see what's wrong with stating there's not a lot between the two teams.
It looked more evenly matched and game was still in the melting pot with a few minutes to go because Roscommon were more wasteful in front of goal. Meanwhile Armagh kicked one wide in the first half a massive improvement on their shooting from the Clare game.

Baggio90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 04:11:35 PM
It looked more evenly matched and game was still in the melting pot with a few minutes to go because Roscommon were more wasteful in front of goal. Meanwhile Armagh kicked one wide in the first half a massive improvement on their shooting from the Clare game.

I think Armagh were equally as wasteful, Roscommon's first goal was also a sucker punch which came pretty much against the run of play. There didn't seem to be much between the teams other than Roscommon had a bit more in the tank and I'd put that down to the injury problems and withdrawals Armagh have been hit with this year, Roscommon might have a few injuries and withdrawals themselves but nothing to the extent that Armagh have had. If Armagh had the likes of Ben Crealey and Ethan Rafferty fit yesterday you'd really have fancied them to have cleaned Roscommon out in the middle of the field and allowed them to leave Murnin closer to goal where he was destroying their full back in the first half.

Cunny Funt

No longer guessing i have no doubt Baggio90 is a reincarnation of Il Bomber Destro!

bennydorano

Excuse my ignorance but where are the Shines?

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on July 08, 2018, 04:47:40 PM

Roscommon players?

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on July 08, 2018, 04:47:40 PM

They're not related, Donie has been blighted with injuries. Donie Senior died last year too and he hasn't been involved last season or this at all. I'd be surprised if he ever makes it back. Cathal has struggled with his fitness for ages too.