Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

If McGeeney left would Armagh have a better pick?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on July 03, 2018, 11:29:19 AM
If McGeeney left would Armagh have a better pick?

Don't know

Bisbee

I know the people on the Orchard Fan forum do not like to dwell on who is missing from the panel-and indeed there has to be much credit given to the lads who have stuck around and give it their best.  Jamar Hall in particular could have walked away a long time ago, but has really stuck at it.  Worked his socks off on Saturday.   Nice to heart the applause he received on Saturday when substituted-worked his socks off.
But still you cannot help but think about the added potential to the forwards if both O'Neils, Campbell, E Rafferty were available.  Possibly add to that O'Hanlon. Those guys add serious firepower and options to the Armagh attack-I think Sean Cavanagh said something to that effect on The Sunday Game.  Considering also some of the U-20 guys who may come in next year, then lots of competition for places and Armagh do start to look like a super 8 team.

Unfortunately, we will never see Clarke back in an Armagh jersey again.  Sad that we have never got to see a fully fit Kevin Dyas back again in a playmaker role in the forwards.  Made a brief cameo in the league final but looks like he has recurrence of injury?  One of our most talented footballers

manfromdelmonte

You could argue Roscommon are missing their full back and centre back due to studies abroad etc

Imposerous

Quote from: Bisbee on July 03, 2018, 11:44:33 AM
But still you cannot help but think about the added potential to the forwards if both O'Neils, Campbell, E Rafferty were available.  Possibly add to that O'Hanlon. Those guys add serious firepower and options to the Armagh attack-I think Sean Cavanagh said something to that effect on The Sunday Game. 

James Morgan is a massive loss in defence too; believe he will be back next year.

Tubberman

Game being shown on RTE News Now channel from 14:45
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

smelmoth

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 03, 2018, 10:56:38 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 03, 2018, 08:57:15 AM
The Armagh posters won't like this but Roscommon will bring more to the Super 8's then Armagh would.

Yes, don't like it but I'd think there is a lot of truth in it.

Quote from: smelmoth on July 03, 2018, 10:03:42 AM
You never know which Armagh are going to turn up. We have to admit that we were poor for big chunks of the Clare game, Sligo and Westmeath didn't offer much opposition and Fermanagh was a disaster. Division 3 is not great preparation. We are also down to bones in terms of attacking personnel.

We have 3 longer term issues. We struggle against teams that are good at off the shoulder running. And we struggle against packed defences. Generally the worse a team is to watch the better they will do against Armagh. Thirdly we can be awful in the tackle. Not dirty, just inaccurate. It can be a form of sporting suicide. It harms us more than the opponent.

Up sides are there is still potential in that side and there is certainly heart and determination.

The key to which Armagh turns up is the set up. We play an attractive attacking brand of football. Our options are stick with what we know and test it against a higher level opponent or go defensive. We did this last year on the QF. It didn't go well

Good post. Agree with a lot of that and only to add that the absence of so many players - through choice - really reduces our potency. If we had a full hand, I think we would be pushing for a Super 8 place on merit. I just feel the impact of these absences will come to pass sooner rather than later, and as soon as Saturday. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we make the Super 8s.

Aye. I would be much happier if we give it a lash. Don't need to go mad and I think some of the direct football in the first half against Clare was a bit brainless.

If we go defensive against Roscommon I feel there will be recriminations. If we go at them with a bit more sense than against Clare and we lose then we can reconcile ourselves that is the level the current panel is at - at the moment.

The missing players is for another day. The forwards could badly do with Clarke and Campbell. Oisin O'Neill may not have been a starter anyway. I would have been more interested in seeing Rian available from the bench. Morgan is a miss. There are plenty of others and whilst McKenna and O'Hanlon are more recent departures I believe this team could really do with Caolin Rafferty and Declan McKenna. The latter being the natural successor to Donaghy. We will have lost out if those boats have sailed

Bisbee

Caoilin Rafferty brought a lot of power and pace to the attack.  Very strong and direct-although not always the most accurate (mind you we had 18 wides last Saturday).  I remember him coming on at half time in a 2014 league game at Navan and changing the whole dynamic of the match.  In 2014 we had Rafferty and Dyas in the half forward line for Championship game against Cavan.  Would have been interesting to see how that would have developed without injuries and work placements coming into effect.

Tim’s Hero

"The missing players is for another day. The forwards could badly do with Clarke and Campbell. Oisin O'Neill may not have been a starter anyway. I would have been more interested in seeing Rian available from the bench. Morgan is a miss. There are plenty of others and whilst McKenna and O'Hanlon are more recent departures I believe this team could really do with Caolin Rafferty and Declan McKenna. The latter being the natural successor to Donaghy. We will have lost out if those boats have sailed"

And why wait for another day to discuss the missing players ?? Will we wait for the unveiling of the new 5 year plan ? If you think Armagh have their best panel available never mind their best players on the field is deluded , if you think the O'Neills wouldn't be automatic staters on the current squad you don't see much football.

smelmoth

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 03, 2018, 08:06:39 PM
"The missing players is for another day. The forwards could badly do with Clarke and Campbell. Oisin O'Neill may not have been a starter anyway. I would have been more interested in seeing Rian available from the bench. Morgan is a miss. There are plenty of others and whilst McKenna and O'Hanlon are more recent departures I believe this team could really do with Caolin Rafferty and Declan McKenna. The latter being the natural successor to Donaghy. We will have lost out if those boats have sailed"

And why wait for another day to discuss the missing players ?? Will we wait for the unveiling of the new 5 year plan ? If you think Armagh have their best panel available never mind their best players on the field is deluded , if you think the O'Neills wouldn't be automatic staters on the current squad you don't see much football.

I can wait. You carry on

Oisin had a few cameos last year. Great power and vision. Lacking pace at this level. I think Rian will have a bigger impact at this level. Potentially a huge impact

Imposerous

What would have been the training undertaken, particularly by those team coming through the qualifier route, these last number of weeks considering the hot weather?

tonto1888

What's the point talking about players who aren't there, and what's more don't want to be?

Solo_run

There is literally no point looking at players who aren't available. Morgan a few weeks back said he has recovered but doesn't want to take part this year... That's fine. I think with all the players who have done the hard work this year it would be completely unfair for others to come in and take a place.

McGeeney trusts what he has even though we know there are quality players in the county that have made themselves unavailable we know there is more. If they do come back next year, the amount of depth and quality we would have is exciting.

APM

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 03, 2018, 10:35:10 PM

What's the point talking about players who aren't there, and what's more don't want to be?

Totally agree!  Seems to be more time spent in Armagh talking about how good we would be if various players were available and would commit.  I remember these discussions in the 80s about Johnny Corvan and in the last decade about Jamie Clarke.  Several of these players mentioned above took themselves off to America before the qualifiers in 2013 - not much commitment there. Nothing against them, but it doesn't say much for your opinion of the panel of players that have committed all year when you keep harking back to these prodigal sons. 

Tim’s Hero

The point is Armagh supporters , (and I mean all Armagh supporters , not just the self proclaimed followers of Geezer who ridicule others who cannot stomach watching the current shambles ) deserve to know why there is such a huge drop off rate , and a huge number of players in the county who won't commit , same thing in Westmeath ,Down and Louth ,when players realised county boards had appointed managers not fit for purpose , all 3 gone 2 after only 1 year , in Armagh they have to listen to same old "it's not the managers fault , the players won't commit, give it more time , there is a good group of u'20 coming through"

I do commend the current squad for their commitment in sticking at it knowing Armagh should be at a higher level but would question whether their commitment is to Geezer or Armagh ? There seems to be an element in the group that hero worships the manager and are trotted out for interviews in IN with Crossan any time the pressure revs up.

All Armagh supporters should see the current trend towards super 8 , champions league format as an opportunity to get our house in order and become competitive on a consistent basis going forward, total root and branch review needed with those with vested interests being replaced to cease the cyclical nature of wasting talent for 10/15 years and then produce a team .