Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2020, 11:28:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2020, 11:25:28 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 02, 2020, 09:52:33 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 02, 2020, 09:47:28 AM
The prices to go away for a few nights in Ireland are a disgrace

You are not wrong Jim. We spent 5 nights in Las Vegas a few years ago (good hotel on the strip, flights from Dublin -> Heathrow -> Vegas), it was cheaper than 5 nights (same dates ) to stay in a 3* hotel in Bundoran.

I'd rather stay in Bundoran. Las Vegas is my idea of hell.
Why so? You don't need to drink or gamble in Vegas to enjoy it.

That's it, I don't gamble (5 mins on the blackjack table the evening we arrived and an hour or 2 on the roulette table in the old town on the final night), so we just toured round the city. Squad of men, wasn't my idea but I was happy just to getting a break away. Tonnes to do, would go back in a heartbeat. I enjoy a weekend in Bundoran too, good bars and the music is top notch

illdecide

Obviously a lot of the Hotels are trying to claw back a lot of the lost revenue for the last few months. I think it's wrong and i will almost certainly not be booking anything with them even though i told the kids i'd take them down South for a few days...Joke.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

To be fair to many of the hotels, they are often well propped up by weddings, and that business is completely out the window at the minute. 
Ballyliffin Lodge up in north Donegal can't afford to open until September, when they hope to get the wedding business back.  I called them about availability, and was told they just can't make it work economically without weddings. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on July 02, 2020, 12:42:17 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 02, 2020, 12:29:32 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 02, 2020, 11:53:44 AM

Second that Jim.

It is really sickening to hear this constant yapping about supporting our own during tough times etc - well I say f**k them if all they want to do is fleece their own.

Agree, wouldn't mind doing a staycation in Ireland but the prices are crazy. They're trying to grab back some of the lost profits.  Would be ok to a certain level but currently it's back to rip off Ireland again.

I think it is a case of supply and demand and what you're willing to pay. But like I said I rang a few hotels and they were booked out. I did get some availability in others and booked a very nice hotel but at over €2,000 it wasn't exactly cheap.
At 2k LOTS of people will look abroad where they'll get guaranteed sun and generally cheaper food and drink. I wouldn't be setting foot in an airport this year but I wouldn't pay a few grand to sit in a hotel to pay through the nose for a pint and a bit of grub.

BennyCake

You are not wrong Jim. We spent 5 nights in Las Vegas a few years ago (good hotel on the strip, flights from Dublin -> Heathrow -> Vegas), it was cheaper than 5 nights (same dates ) to stay in a 3* hotel in Bundoran.

Everything about it just looks so false. It's almost like a cruise ship, as you're feckin' stuck there in the middle of the desert. Just not my kind of holiday. Bundoran for me!  ;D

BennyCake

Second that Jim.

It is really sickening to hear this constant yapping about supporting our own during tough times etc - well I say f**k them if all they want to do is fleece their own.

Agree, wouldn't mind doing a staycation in Ireland but the prices are crazy. They're trying to grab back some of the lost profits.  Would be ok to a certain level but currently it's back to rip off Ireland again.

I think it is a case of supply and demand and what you're willing to pay. But like I said I rang a few hotels and they were booked out. I did get some availability in others and booked a very nice hotel but at over €2,000 it wasn't exactly cheap.

Two grand? Are you staying a month?!

Try self catering apartments. Way cheaper than that. I've never paid more than about €550 for a week for an apartment.

JimStynes

Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2020, 06:55:17 PM

Everything about it just looks so false. It's almost like a cruise ship, as you're feckin' stuck there in the middle of the desert. Just not my kind of holiday. Bundoran for me!  ;D

I don't gamble and very rarely gamble but I love Vegas. It's got the best hotels, brilliant restaurants, brilliant shopping and brilliant weather at various time of the year. You can have whatever type of holiday you like in Vegas.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2020, 06:58:57 PM

Second that Jim.

Try self catering apartments. Way cheaper than that. I've never paid more than about €550 for a week for an apartment.

f**k that. It's a holiday. I want someone else to be cooking and cleaning up. A bit of luxury.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on July 02, 2020, 08:55:13 PM
I thought people went to Bundoran to drink and gamble!

Buckfast and pitch and toss!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on July 02, 2020, 08:51:26 PM

Second that Jim.

f**k that. It's a holiday. I want someone else to be cooking and cleaning up. A bit of luxury.

Ye lazy hoor. You must be loaded  ;D

Rois

Portmarnock Hotel still v reasonable. Not great for families though.

Milltown Row2

In laws got great deal in Donegal for 88 quid, 2 nights bed and breakfast in a lovely hotel, they say the foods great and managed with the groupon deal 20 euro off their dinner
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on July 02, 2020, 09:01:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 02, 2020, 09:00:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 02, 2020, 08:55:13 PM
I thought people went to Bundoran to drink and gamble!

Buckfast and pitch and toss!
Nah, slots & 10p machines.
Andytown-on-Sea.

general

Was fortunate enough to get 5 nights booked for Gyles Quay l. Taking a lend of a relatives caravan. Not the usual summer holiday but it will be great craic to take the young one away for a few nights. Hopefully the weather brightens up a bit and we'll have a few bbqs etc.

€30 euro a night including the electric hook up.

screenexile

Second that Jim.

Jaysus is it the Shelbourne??

I've booked a refundable weekend staying in the Crowne Plaza Santry for 2 nights for 2&2 B&B for €250.

We'll do the Zoo and Malahide a day if the weather is good.