Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Quote from: westbound on November 07, 2018, 11:33:38 AM
So about a month after announcing proposed rule changes they are already considering changing the proposals!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1107/1009213-gaa-to-scrap-player-limits-in-new-kick-out-rule/

I can see it now. The ball has to be kicked beyond the 45, no shorts. I can see 5 of the forwards retreating beyond the 45 to deny space and keep their defence tight etc  :o

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2018, 11:44:36 AM
They looked at it and have revised it based on difficulties.
Very sensible and decisions to be made on 24th November.

Sensible would have been not suggesting the proposal in the first place!

Itchy

Quote from: westbound on November 07, 2018, 12:25:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2018, 11:44:36 AM
They looked at it and have revised it based on difficulties.
Very sensible and decisions to be made on 24th November.

Sensible would have been not suggesting the proposal in the first place!

No stupid is not doing trying anything at all. I think this makes sense now and is worth a try. The hand pass one too I think will be a struggle to players.

five points

The four most dangerous words in the English language: "Something must be done!"

Rossfan

Or how about
5 -
"Leave things as they are"
Or 3
"Everything is fine"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

So about a month after announcing proposed rule changes they are already considering changing the proposals!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1107/1009213-gaa-to-scrap-player-limits-in-new-kick-out-rule/

Could RTE not quote another source than that scummy red top newspaper?

thejuice

How about when you kick the ball over the bar you get as many points as the amount of your own players inside the oppositions 21yard line.  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

westbound

Quote from: thejuice on November 07, 2018, 01:23:47 PM
How about when you kick the ball over the bar you get as many points as the amount of your own players inside the oppositions 21yard line.  ;)

Well, it's certainly a novel idea!  ;)

Rossfan I never suggested that nothing should be done.

Itchy, I think this amended proposal doesn't make sense at all. Forcing the keeper to kick long will mean that anyone who stands inside the 45 for a kickout is immediatey taken out of the game. With no restriction on where players can stand for the kick out and knowing that the ball will land somewhere between 45-80 metres, all/most of the forwards will drop back into that area to clog up the space. Anytime the ball breaks (which will be more likely to happen now due to the increased number of players in the middle sector), It'll be a real scramble with several players around the ball/man in possession. Is that what people want to see?

Kicking the ball long is what we'd all like to see, but forcing it to happen is silly (Especially without a restriction on where players can be). One of the main reasons forwards stay up the field for kick outs at the moment is to try to cut off the short kick-out. That won't be necessary now, so forwards are unlikely to stay up the field.

mrdeeds

Quote from: westbound on November 07, 2018, 02:12:09 PM
Quote from: thejuice on November 07, 2018, 01:23:47 PM

Well, it's certainly a novel idea!  ;)

Rossfan I never suggested that nothing should be done.

Itchy, I think this amended proposal doesn't make sense at all. Forcing the keeper to kick long will mean that anyone who stands inside the 45 for a kickout is immediatey taken out of the game. With no restriction on where players can stand for the kick out and knowing that the ball will land somewhere between 45-80 metres, all/most of the forwards will drop back into that area to clog up the space. Anytime the ball breaks (which will be more likely to happen now due to the increased number of players in the middle sector), It'll be a real scramble with several players around the ball/man in possession. Is that what people want to see?

Kicking the ball long is what we'd all like to see, but forcing it to happen is silly (Especially without a restriction on where players can be). One of the main reasons forwards stay up the field for kick outs at the moment is to try to cut off the short kick-out. That won't be necessary now, so forwards are unlikely to stay up the field.

Not everyone wants to see the kickout going long. I like to see teams who have some imagination and worked on a strategy. Football is continuously evolving like my own club who played the goalkeeper as an extra outfielder Sunday when we reduced to 14 in Ulster.
I'd question those coming up with rules if they didn't see problems with this one.
Also they've introduced a five yard kick pass. The sideline going forward actually punishes the team taking it as they have one less player forward as they are taking it.
Having watched my club evolve their style of play this year to become an attacking team was down to coaching and Declan Bonner is right when he said it is the fault of coaches and systems. No club teams in Cavan play defensive and we had the highest attended club football final as a result.

tippabu

Quote from: shawshank on November 07, 2018, 11:55:17 AM

I can see it now. The ball has to be kicked beyond the 45, no shorts. I can see 5 of the forwards retreating beyond the 45 to deny space and keep their defence tight etc  :o

100% this....why would you leave players inside the 45 if you knew the ball had to travel beyond it

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on November 07, 2018, 07:55:26 PM

100% this....why would you leave players inside the 45 if you knew the ball had to travel beyond it

So the rule has gone from having only 4 players between the two 45s for a kickout to a situation where it will probably be something like a minimum of 12 players and could be anything of up to 20 players between the two 45s for kickouts.

You would seriously have to question the intelligence of whoever proposed this.

It will take this committee another few weeks to trial this in games and see that the team who don't have the kickout, pulling 13/14 outside the oppositions 45 to defend/congest the central area as much as possible, before they have to abandon this too.

tippabu

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 07, 2018, 09:23:30 PM
Quote from: tippabu on November 07, 2018, 07:55:26 PM

So the rule has gone from having only 4 players between the two 45s for a kickout to a situation where it will probably be something like a minimum of 12 players and could be anything of up to 20 players between the two 45s for kickouts.

You would seriously have to question the intelligence of whoever proposed this.

It will take this committee another few weeks to trial this in games and see that the team who don't have the kickout, pulling 13/14 outside the oppositions 45 to defend/congest the central area as much as possible, before they have to abandon this too.

I just dont understand the thought process from the people in charge of these.....they come up with these ideas and its like they say "this will be a positive because....." and pat themselves on the back and say well done...Within 5 mins of the rules coming out i saw what i believed were potentially  massive problems, went through everything already in the thread. Im someone who is in no way heavily involved but I realise that when making any changes to the rules the negatives are every bit as important than the positives and you have to put yourself into the worst possible outcome before deciding on whether to propose something.

Keyser soze

The people who proposed this probably got their ideas from one of the regular threads on here pontificating that we need to "DO SOMETHING".

Most of their proposals have been proposed on here at some stage, and many of them in multple threads.

Is there any other sport that introduces as many rule changes and trials as Gaelic football?

Hound

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 09, 2018, 09:59:13 AM
The people who proposed this probably got their ideas from one of the regular threads on here pontificating that we need to "DO SOMETHING".

Most of their proposals have been proposed on here at some stage, and many of them in multple threads.

Is there any other sport that introduces as many rule changes and trials as Gaelic football?

Too many football moaners in the media, too many people listening to them and too many sheep following.

Whereas in the hurling all you hear is about how great it is.

You have an absolutely dreadful standard in the All Ireland hurling final. 40 feckin wides. Forty! Nobody could even keep count of the number of turnovers through bad passes. Limerick didn't put the ball over the bar for a 30 minute spell in the second half, and still managed to win because Galway were absolute shite, up until taking their fingers out of their holes in injury time.

But all we got was hurling is brilliant.