2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

County Man

A month on from the Cavan defeat.

I expect a much improved performance from Laois come Sunday. A win here would certainly boost our hopes of staying in the division. Fitness levels will have improved substantially in the last few weeks.

I'm very hopeful going into this game.

On a side note, its a long time since we played Roscommon in a competitive fixture. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we haven't played them since 1995 or 1996 which was a league game in Portlaoise in which we won by a couple of points.

OTF

Quote from: redsetanta on March 06, 2015, 09:39:42 AM
In fairness we have a strong inside line and if they get sufficient supply of ball they could do damage. Need to be on top of their game.

Teams like Fermanagh, Wexford and Tipp ( no disrespect intended ) ran through us at will last summer, Roscommon are better than any of those teams IMO.
If TOF doesn't do something dramatic defensive wise and I haven't seen anything so far to indicate he will. Sadly I cant see anything other than  a Roscommon  win on Sunday.

redsetanta

That's the issue under TOF the forwards have to be on fire because you will have to outscore the opposition. Obviously to win any game youhave to outscore your opponent but as you say, because out defense in so leaky there is more pressure on the forward lines.

Look at the score that both Fermanagh and Tipp put up against us last year.  We eventually outscored Fermanagh but despite 4 goals we couldn't get the better of Tipp.

I've said it more than once but if you have a man in the backs that can score a couple of points for you but cannot defend then you are in bother.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Interesting points well made lads I wonder If Boyle and Begley will make up the Half back line to add strenght to it and stop these teams running through us?

Be interesting to see how Dillion goes...Any word on the Subs?
LAOIS ABÚ

Uisce

A long time since Laois played Roscommon, certainly will be a tough game. Roscommon are a team on the rise so to get a win here would be fantastic. I'm sure the team know they are under-performing so hopefully they will step up to the plate and get a win here to kick start the year.

redsetanta

Got that one completely wrong and glad I did. Fair play to them and particularly O'Carroll. Des Cahill was on commentary and couldn't get over the silence when the Laois team came out. Said there were far more Rossies in the stand. He was full of praise for Evan O'Carroll. Said it was a cracking game to watch. Anyhow delighted we got the win. Didn't realise McMahon had left the panel. Meant Paul Begley was full back and Timmons into the corner. How did Colm Begley go at centra half? Boyle at 11? Donaher sounds like he had a good game. Hopefully they can kick on from here as the division is wide open and we've given ourselves a fighting chance.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

County Man

Massive win for Laois today. Was so crucial as the lads will gain huge belief. The last months training has paid off. There was much more of a defensive plan in place today.

Laois came storming out of the blocks we were 3 points up inside 4 minutes. As a whole today Laois were very accurate, we had very few wides.

Despite Roscommon coming back into the game early bringing the score back to 0-4 to 0-3, their scores were hard earned due to a much tighter defence.

We responded well in the late stages of the first half once Roscommon levelled it up at 5 points each. Donie K, Ross and Evan O'Carroll getting fine scores from play. 0-9 to 0-7 at half time with Laois leading.

Turning point in the game came after 39 minutes. Roscommon had started well knocking over 3 points to lead for the one and only time in the game 0-10 to 0-9. A high dangerous ball then was launched into the square but Paul Begley did superbly by winning the high ball, clearing the ball out and on the same attack Donie K levelled matters.

This was the beginning of a run of 1-4 without reply for us 1-13 to 0-10. Niall Donaher's goal was a peach. Great finish. Roscommon's vocal support was silenced.

Their support grew louder again as they narrowed the gap to a goal but we responded with 2 fine scores from Ross and Paul Kingston and we could finally relax when Paul Kingston lashed home a goal having been set up by Evan O'Carroll. Paul finished with 1-2 from play.

A fully deserved win for Laois. Just a pity there wasn't more support there for Laois. The team deserve it. We were outnumbered 6 or 7 to 1 in terms of support. Such a shame.

Division 2 now is so tight. Away to Meath next which thankfully is on Setanta.

Performances/Positives of note: Graham Brody made a fantastic save when we were 1-13 to 0-12 ahead. Had that gone in, momentum may have switched. Robbie Kehoe was tigerish in defence. Mark Timmons was his usual solid self. Paul Begley as mentioned earlier excellent. Colm Begley had some inspiring runs forward and was lively. Darren Strong got a fine point early in the game. Midfielders both did great. Brendan Quigley plucked a high ball out of the sky on our goal line from a 45 that looked set to sail over. In the forwards, Ross Munnelly got some great scores that will no doubt boost the confidence and also set up Donie for 1. Evan O'Carroll followed on from the under 21s on Wednesday and is growing in stature with every game. Garreth Dillion put in a huge effort in the first half and set up Conor Boyle for an early goal. Donie Kingston as usual was excellent and his brother Paul was superb when he came on.

Great to see Damien O'Connor and Attride come on late in the game. Glad to see them back.

Finally was pleasing to be smiling after the game. It has been a long time coming. The battle to stay up will be challenging but great to see the hunger and desire there from the Laois team.

Teo Lurley

A much better performance. Despite the news that McMahon has left the panel, we can have a little bit more optimism about the year ahead than previously. O'Carroll and Kingston were excellent and Paul Kingston was very good when he came on. All over the field we were much improved and we had O'Connor and Attride come on late. Quigley was also very good and one catch he got was like Daragh O'Sé, it was going over the bar. Still a lot of work to do but it was a huge improvement from what we've seen this year previously and two cracking goals scored to boot.

OTF

Delighted to have got this wrong, terrific performance well done.

Giovanni

I know people go on about it ad nauseum but really the support that the football team gets is really embarrassing at this stage. To see a Laois team enter the field for a crucual national league game and not to even raise a polite round of applause is something that really needs attention. We may not win All-Irelands or National Leagues but I still think we have enough good players to be worthy of our support. The likes of Graham Brody, Colm Begley, John O Loughlin, Brendan Quigley, Ross Munnelly and Donie Kingston would make most county teams. To see the development of Evan O Carroll is a pleasure in itself. Of course they're not going to win every game but we have some excellent players and they deserve better support. I really wish the county board would take some concrete measures to improve attendance, at least for the home games. The crowd really can make a difference when it comes to influencing refereeing decisions and we have no 16th man. Very disappointing.

On the game itself, it was the first time in a long time that the forward division looked like a proper unit, rather than a mish-mash of individuals. Of course they were supplied with some nice balls but there was good movement and some very intelligent play, especially from Evan O Carroll, who is really a smart footballer. As someone else said, there was great accuracy in the play, with very few mistakes or kicking from silly positions.

Having said that, I wouldn't agree with the poster who said that our defence was much better. I thought we still looked vulnerable enough and we were left one on one with forwards on two many occasions. We didn't look great under the high ball  and were lucky to get away with it on one or two occasions.

Overall though delighted for the players themselves, who clearly still think the jersey is important, even if the supporters don't.

redsetanta

One of the reporters on the game today was praising O'Carroll for not taking the easy option of a fisted point and instead laying a goal on a plate for Kingston.

Unlaoised

Great win well done lads I hope more people will come back out and support ye now
LAOIS ABÚ

Heshs Umpire

Brilliant win yesterday for the footballers.

Couple of super goals and with Paul Kingston, Attride and O'Connor all back, a bit of competition for places.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Unlaoised

Reflecting on the win a few things stood out on Sunday one was the the Laois work rate and fitness seemed to be a far higher level than the previous two games?

Now TOF said this would be the case coming into the Galway game(that was cancelled)after the break and I also heard from a panel member that training was more intense after the Cavan game.

While this has to be commended in one sense it also begs the question why were we not up to speed earlier in the year?

It was very evident in the Westmeath and Cavan games that we were not as fit as our opposition.

These two early games should have been targeted to win as it would have put us in a comfortable position instead of scrapping now to stay up.

Again I commend the players for knuckling down and pulling together as a squad when so many things seem to be against them and I really think we might get something in Meath as well.

On sundays game

I thought Paul Begley was superb Sunday which he was early in the year ...Mark Timmons was also good in the full back line ...

Darren Strong had his best game for a while tracking his man and marking tight while still managing to get his point.

Quigley was immense again Laois's best player along with O'Loughlin this year in my opinion.

Niall Donoher answered a few critics with a busy display and a great goal.

Boyle was composed and gave a nice balance to the team.

Evan O'Carroll just picked up where he left off Wednesday night with an awesome display of ball carrying and his work off the ball was just as good.

Ross looked fresh and on his toes again him and donie worked well again.

The younger Kingston Paul looked dangerous Wednesday night and again on sunday and is a good option now in the forwards aswell.

As Hesh says having O'Connor and Attride back is good for competition.

Imagine the competition in the team if we'd have if the like of Healy,Cahilane,Mcmahon,Meaney,Walsh,O'Leary,Kieran Lillis,David Conway,Meredith,MJ Tierney,

It shows the talent we do have in the county to be missing 10 possible starters and still produce a team that can get wins in this division...

I for one can't wait to go and support them up in Navan

LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

I see that 'Hoganstands' love for John O'Loughlin hasn't abated as he is named in their team of the week again. Well done Johnno!