Who grassed up on OWC?

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, May 28, 2010, 10:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Ulick do you still have an account there?   ;D ;D

SF man slammed over attempt to 'demonise' NI fans

Published Date: 27 May 2010

NORTHERN Ireland football fans have hit back after being accused of "gloating" over an injury sustained by a young Republic of Ireland player.

Sinn Fein's Paul Butler released a statement last weekend slamming comments which were posted on the NI fans' website Our Wee Country (OWC).

The Lagan Valley MLA said the messages, directed at 18-year-old Everton defender Shane Duffy and two other injured players, were "absolutely sickening" and added: "Comments gloating over a life-threatening injury and wishing a similar fate for fellow northern-born Republic of Ireland players are absolutely disgusting.

"The incident appears to be yet another unfortunate consequence of the Irish Football Association's ill-informed campaign aimed at preventing Irish citizens born in the north of Ireland from representing the Republic of Ireland at international level."

The teenager, who played for Northern Ireland's under-21 side before switching allegiance to the Republic, was playing in a practice match when he suffered a freak, life-threatening injury to his liver.

Shortly after the news of Duffy's injury broke, one fan on the OWC site posted the comment: "What goes round comes round. Hell slap it up them."

The posting was met with a string of responses from genuine fans who were supportive of the injured player.

One typical response said: "I hope your family never have to suffer such torment, you sad individual."

Even '"grahamer" — the author of the original line — saw the error of his ways and added: "My comment was over the top... I presumed a laceration was a simple tear and nothing major."

Gary McAllister, of the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs, said: "It's very unfortunate that Paul Butler has seized on a small number of posts on an internet forum in order to attempt to demonise both the Irish FA and Northern Ireland fans in general."

Mr McAllister said he accepted there were some "very uncharitable" comments but added: "The majority of posters on the thread in question expressed their good wishes to the player and indeed one poster later retracted his earlier remarks upon realising how serious the injury was."

IFA president, Raymond Kennedy, said: "Everyone at the Irish Football Association would like to wish Shane Duffy a speedy recovery from his life-threatening injury.

"I also intend to contact the Duffy family to pass on the best wishes of the association to Shane."

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/SF-man-sl...empt.6322145.jp

/Jim.

Norf Tyrone

There is an article in the GL about Unionists being easilly offended about a comment made during commentary in the recent Armagh v Derry game. I think it was the Fermanagh lad stated 'he went to ground like a sniper had got him'.

It looks SF can be easilly offended as well. I mean one gobshite made a throw away comment, which he later watered down. Is it really news worthy?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Ulick

Not me, I've been banned for a long time and have long since forgotten the the log-in details of my 'alternative' account. Though by coincidence I did notice similar comments on a similar Facebook site last night.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 28, 2010, 10:39:48 AM
There is an article in the GL about Unionists being easilly offended about a comment made during commentary in the recent Armagh v Derry game. I think it was the Fermanagh lad stated 'he went to ground like a sniper had got him'.

It looks SF can be easilly offended as well. I mean one gobshite made a throw away comment, which he later watered down. Is it really news worthy?

Aye, especially when the author retracted after.  I wonder did Paul Butler send Marty a fiver to scoop out that one comment?

/Jim

dublinfella

Its a slow news day when a comment on an internet forum is newsworthy.

Whats next 'OWC fan in pub insults x'?

The Real Laoislad

At least they had a thread on it,all we got here was a few comments about it even though it was a very serious injury to a Irish player..
But as I said if it had of been Wayne Rooney's ankle it would have been more important to some........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Doogie Browser

Butler needs to get out more

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 28, 2010, 12:00:14 PM
But as I said if it had of been Wayne Rooney's ankle it would have been more important to some........
Very true

Main Street

Disingenuous by Butler and he has no factual basis for his hysterical comment.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 28, 2010, 10:36:27 AM
Gary McAllister, of the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs, said: "It's very unfortunate that Paul Butler has seized on a small number of posts on an internet forum in order to attempt to demonise both the Irish FA and Northern Ireland fans in general."

Mr McAllister said he accepted there were some "very uncharitable" comments but added: "The majority of posters on the thread in question expressed their good wishes to the player and indeed one poster later retracted his earlier remarks upon realising how serious the injury was."

Surely more then one comment  ::), and even if it was only one why the hell shouldn't it be highlighted!
Tbc....

Ulick

Quote from: Main Street on May 28, 2010, 12:27:59 PM
Disingenuous by Butler and he has no factual basis for his hysterical comment.

Well we don't know that as it seems Bulter is the only person the Newsletter didn't approach for a follow-up quote (the printed quotes presumably from a press release).

dublinfella

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 28, 2010, 12:35:02 PM
Surely more then one comment  ::), and even if it was only one why the hell shouldn't it be highlighted!

Because its the poxy internet and lifting stories from random quotes on chatrooms is the laziest and most irrelevant form of journalism ever.

Unless the poster is an employee of the IFA, so what? We know they are turds, its not newsworthy

Hound

At least they had a thread on it,all we got here was a few comments about it even though it was a very serious injury to a Irish player..
No need for the "high and mighty" shíte RLL.
Would it be less important if Rooney or Torres or Messi did it?

World famous soccer players like Rooney, Torres, Messi have a far higher profile than a player who can't get his game with Everton but who one day might get Irish caps. That's the way of the world. Just like a famous American or UK popstar would get far more comment than some up coming Irish singer who may or may not make it.

You also did not start a thread on young Duffy. Doesnt mean that you or anyone else werent really shocked and worried when you heard it, and delighted that he's on the road to recovery.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on May 28, 2010, 12:53:45 PM
No need for the "high and mighty" shíte RLL.
Would it be less important if Rooney or Torres or Messi did it?

World famous soccer players like Rooney, Torres, Messi have a far higher profile than a player who can't get his game with Everton but who one day might get Irish caps. That's the way of the world. Just like a famous American or UK popstar would get far more comment than some up coming Irish singer who may or may not make it.

You also did not start a thread on young Duffy. Doesnt mean that you or anyone else werent really shocked and worried when you heard it, and delighted that he's on the road to recovery.

No high and mighty shite at all,just stating a fact...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: dublinfella on May 28, 2010, 12:52:42 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 28, 2010, 12:35:02 PM

Because its the poxy internet and lifting stories from random quotes on chatrooms is the laziest and most irrelevant form of journalism ever.

Unless the poster is an employee of the IFA, so what? We know they are turds, its not newsworthy

Ah yeah you're the Shamrock Rovers apologist, I forgot... nothing to see here then!
Just to clarify a "poxy internet" has a hell of alot of power in modern society and "random quotes on chatrooms" have lead to physical violence and people losing their jobs to name just 2 types of incident.
Tbc....

bingobus

I don't see what the over reaction is about, some clown posted it on internet forum. If they really wanted they could get similar comments on this forum eg on Gerry Ryans thread.

People love to be outraged, ignore the idiots and don't give them publicity they grave.

Ps did you's ring Joe Duffy to tell them you's are "outraged"