GAA tree planting for Stormont

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, November 03, 2009, 12:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

The 125th anniversary of the GAA is to be marked with the planting of a tree at Stormont, close to the statue of the unionist Sir Edward Carson.

A mature ash tree will be planted on 12 November during a ceremony attended by GAA President Christy Cooney.

There are also plans to plant 1,000 ash saplings on the Stormont estate.

Ash was chosen because it is used to make hurling sticks, and every Gaelic club in Ulster is being asked to buy five saplings at a cost of £25.

Each tree is expected to produce enough ash to manufacture 25 hurls, representing 125 hurls for every club.

Sinn Fein assembly member Barry McElduff said Sir Edward Carson may be a symbol of unionism, but he played hurling for Trinity College Dublin.

Celebrations

He said the tree-planting was a "helpful" move towards making Stormont a more welcoming place for nationalists and republicans.

"The symbols and emblems throughout the Stormont estate tend to be solely unionist and British in their origin - for example I would drive up the Prince of Wales Avenue, past the Carson and Craigavon statue to get to my office.

"Culture and heritage belong to everyone and as we move forward, people are increasingly curious about each other's cultures.

"The GAA has been making huge efforts to reach out to non-traditional areas."

A series of celebrations have been held this year to mark the founding of the GAA in on 1 November 1884.

The organisation was founded amid a resurgence in Irish language and culture in the late 19th century.

The tree will be planted at Stormont near the statue of Sir Edward Carson, reputed to have played hurling with Cusack while attending TCD.

angermanagement

Have them twats nothing better to do with there time than planting trees.

Its time McElduff was replaced by someone with a bit of common sense, everytime I hear him talk about the GAA he's an embarrassment to the GAA his heart might be in the right place but his brain is not.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: angermanagement on November 03, 2009, 01:03:37 PM
Have them t**ts nothing better to do with there time than planting trees.

Its time McElduff was replaced by someone with a bit of common sense, everytime I hear him talk about the GAA he's an embarrassment to the GAA his heart might be in the right place but his brain is not.

I fail to see whats wrong with thte story, it's a positive news story for a change.
Tbc....

spiritof91and94

RT Hon Jim Wells will be planting the first one..... ;D
(for Bryansford GAC)

ziggysego

Personally I think this is much better, than erecting ugly monuments and such. Plus the trees can be used to make camáns in the future, which is a more lasting tribute in my opinion.
Testing Accessibility

Cúig huaire

Could they not have dug a bigger hole ?
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

stew

Big Rab will be in with his digger to take thon fenian tree out by the root.

I dont think it will last six months, owc will cut it down or otherwise damage it. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2009, 09:31:31 PM
Quote from: stew on November 13, 2009, 09:28:51 PM

I dont think it will last six months, owc will cut it down or otherwise damage it. ;)
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Yes!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Square Ball

Quote from: stew on November 13, 2009, 09:28:51 PM

wouldnt surprise me in the slightest Stew.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

longrunsthefox

Agreed-who gives a f**? I listened to woman on the radio this morning whose son was killed by  a drunk driver who burnt his car to try and destroy the evidence and he will be out in two years and smirked at the family when he got sentenced. The chancers in Stormont  need to sort out this policing and justice and other important issues instead of congratulating themselves for a planting  a f**ing tree. Bag o'shite.

Hardy

Your thesis is that the drunk driver would have got a longer sentence but for the tree? Or am I missing the point completely about the dangers of tree planting?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Hardy on November 14, 2009, 09:17:29 AM
Your thesis is that the drunk driver would have got a longer sentence but for the tree? Or am I missing the point completely about the dangers of tree planting?

Thesis is there are important issues to be sorted like justice and policing and photo of SF MLAs all smug because they planted a tree is nausiating. Look at the expressions on their faces like they had achieved something... ffs   

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 14, 2009, 11:19:52 AM

Thesis is there are important issues to be sorted like justice and policing and photo of SF MLAs all smug because they planted a tree is nausiating. Look at the expressions on their faces like they had achieved something... ffs   

So scrap all departments like Health, Culture, Education, etc.. and just focus on Police & Justice? All MLAs don't work in the one department.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ziggysego on November 14, 2009, 01:36:43 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 14, 2009, 11:19:52 AM

So scrap all departments like Health, Culture, Education, etc.. and just focus on Police & Justice? All MLAs don't work in the one department.

Wat the f** are you on about Ziggy? Where did I say scrap all departments?  ??? This tree thing is tokenism... whoopy-do... but what about getting sports grants to GAA, education sorted, policing etc... instead of getting all chuffed with ourselves because there is a GAA tree in Stormont... big tickle.   

orangeman

This might seem to be some sort of achievement or milestone as far as the GAA is concerned but I'm with the Fox man on this one - close to the statue of Carson ??? How close and why is it important that it's close or not close ?.

They're clutching at straws when this is newsworthy IMO.