OWC net-minder in beggar praise shock

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, November 02, 2009, 04:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Given hailed by Northern Ireland counterpart

Northern Ireland keeper Maik Taylor has hailed his Republic of Ireland counterpart Shay Given as one of the world's best and believes he has become even better since his move to Manchester City.

Birmingham number one Taylor has played with and against some of the best goalkeepers around, including Edwin van der Sar during their spell together at Fulham.

However, he feels Given is currently at the peak of his career, as demonstrated during yesterday's goalless draw at St Andrew's.

Given pulled off a series of fine saves, most notably a second-half penalty stop from James McFadden, to earn his team a fortunate point.

Taylor told Press Association Sport: "How good is Given? He was always top quality at Newcastle but, since he has gone to Manchester City, he has almost gone to another level.

"He really is one of the world's best, not just in the Premier League, and he never put a foot wrong against us.

"His kicking and distribution was unbelievable and everything is top drawer about Shay at the moment. He is really on song.

"But he has worked extremely hard to get to the level that he is at now and good luck to him.

"He broke our hearts but it was a fantastic save from the penalty. It was a decent penalty. He definitely earned them a point and we felt a bit deflated.

"Shay rarely makes a mistake. Keepers are judged on mistakes and reliability and he rarely makes them.

"But in addition to that he also comes up with a world-class save when needed as well. He is a very good presence for Man City and I can't praise him highly enough."

City boss Mark Hughes echoed Taylor's sentiments and said: "That is why I brought Shay to the club because I knew he would have that capacity when you need someone to produce something for you to keep you in the game.

"Shay has done that right throughout his career and he was exceptional again at Birmingham to earn us the point."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/given-hailed-by-northern-ireland-counterpart-432675.html#ixzz0VidsjEDp

/Jim.

Olaf

Very good and consistent keeper.

Why is this praise  a shock? I presume that Maik Taylor knows what he is talking about.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Wasn't there an NI fan on here a while back who said that Taylor would start ahead of Given in an All-Ireland XI?  :D
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nifan

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 02, 2009, 04:51:41 PM
Wasn't there an NI fan on here a while back who said that Taylor would start ahead of Given in an All-Ireland XI?  :D

Well he did oust Van Der Sar as keeper for a while at Fulham ;)

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nifan on November 02, 2009, 05:06:00 PM

And Colin Doyle did the same to Taylor.  ;)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

stiffler

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 02, 2009, 06:41:12 PM

And Colin Doyle did the same to Taylor.  ;)

And Joe Hart, who coincidentally cannot dislodge Given at City!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Rav67

Yes I Would

VDS is dutch!!