Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Mcmullans may challenge that. Seamus, Dominic, frankie, paudie and Damien all brothers? Maybe not all on a winning panel at once. I am sure Donnellys in 80s too. Looking back at those teams on saffron Gael there were more brothers than I thought. Either 4 or 5 though - I don't think more though... Can't think of big loughgiel or Ross's families. Not that many organs?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2020, 08:09:14 PM
Mcmullans may challenge that. Seamus, Dominic, frankie, paudie and Damien all brothers? Maybe not all on a winning panel at once. I am sure Donnellys in 80s too. Looking back at those teams on saffron Gael there were more brothers than I thought. Either 4 or 5 though - I don't think more though... Can't think of big loughgiel or Ross's families. Not that many organs?

For likes if Rossa you'd the Murray's and two Murphy's , two or three Rogans on various championship winning teams that I can think of quickly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Yeah they were all brothers. Dominic, Seamus and Frankie all won a championship at one stage. Then later Seamus, Frankie, Paudie and Damian all played at the same time.

their sisters Sally, Sinead, Helen and Majella all won the Antrim camogie championship in 1994. Pretty amazing sporting family.

Would there not of been a lot of McGarrys on the Loughgiel panels over the years?
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

How many donnellys were there? Brian, Eddie, dessie, Eddie and another one who wasn't county- Seamus maybe? Were  there any more?

Not sure on mcgarrys. Definitely a few playing but can't remember that many though wouldn't recall the 80s so much.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Dunloy realist on July 01, 2020, 09:39:32 PM

Yeah they were all brothers. Dominic, Seamus and Frankie all won a championship at one stage. Then later Seamus, Frankie, Paudie and Damian all played at the same time.

their sisters Sally, Sinead, Helen and Majella all won the Antrim camogie championship in 1994. Pretty amazing sporting family.

Would there not of been a lot of McGarrys on the Loughgiel panels over the years?

Wee Terry was handy hurler too but he in his own words was "the runt of the litter" because he was small. I don't mind Nicky ever hurling back in the day, think he had problems with his eye sight. Probably the most famous GAA family in Antrim.

Lots of good stories to. Like the day Seamus and Dominic never showed up to school and the head master new where to find them. Hurling away down in the local pitch.

imtommygunn

I forgot there was a Terry.

Ballycastle's team is an interesting one. They had some great hurlers over the years too (and still produce some very capable ones though they seem to be fewer these days). I think looking at it there may have been 6 donnelly brothers.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on July 02, 2020, 12:54:12 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on July 01, 2020, 09:39:32 PM

Wee Terry was handy hurler too but he in his own words was "the runt of the litter" because he was small. I don't mind Nicky ever hurling back in the day, think he had problems with his eye sight. Probably the most famous GAA family in Antrim.

Lots of good stories to. Like the day Seamus and Dominic never showed up to school and the head master new where to find them. Hurling away down in the local pitch.

Terry and Nicky were both good hurlers. nicky played in all the good underage teams through the 80's and started all the time right up to U21 level but im not sure why he didnt play on anymore.

Mushy hated training with a passion when it involved running of any kind. i mind him telling us while yarns of excuses he would make up to avoid running  ;D i remember him making us take a nip of wiskey before going onto the pitch before a county final when he took our U21 team lol a brilliant character and hurler and someone ive a lot of respect for.
hurl like f**k boi!

Tony Baloney

Anyone get the IN today and fancy putting up Sean McGuinness' 15.

Kidder81

Aidan Delargy ahead of Shane McNaughton for me in Cushendall team

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 02, 2020, 05:25:41 PM

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2020/07/02/news/sean-mcguinness-selects-the-top-15-hurlers-he-managed-1992042/

If you can't see that clear your Irish news cookies. I don't pay and I can see it...

paddyjohn

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 02, 2020, 06:16:23 PM

Big shout there..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 02, 2020, 07:38:33 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on July 02, 2020, 06:16:23 PM

Big shout there..

Totally different players and style, for me AD was a very smart hurler and Shane was explosive and exciting to watch.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MoChara

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2020, 06:25:48 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 02, 2020, 05:25:41 PM

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2020/07/02/news/sean-mcguinness-selects-the-top-15-hurlers-he-managed-1992042/

If you can't see that clear your Irish news cookies. I don't pay and I can see it...

If you use Incognito mode it does the same thing

imtommygunn

Good point.

Rossa's team in the SG today. Some handy hurlers over the years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2020, 12:45:53 PM
Good point.

Rossa's team in the SG today. Some handy hurlers over the years.

Not going to complain too much about that team, I'd say there was at least 12 that were certs, and then the rest is down to your own perception.