The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Who or what decides how many picks the EU captain has? Not that it would have made much difference this time around but it might give the captain a little more leeway in picking form guys.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 26, 2021, 08:26:19 PM
This is nearly unwatchable. McGinley saying the putting stats are even. I can't believe that one bit

It might not be so far off as you think. The Americans were still missing a decent sprinkling of putts to win holes, the Europeans were making a few decent ones to rescue halves.
The bigger problem was how far away the approach shots were landing.

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on September 27, 2021, 09:34:43 AM
Who or what decides how many picks the EU captain has? Not that it would have made much difference this time around but it might give the captain a little more leeway in picking form guys.

Not sure but the Americans were sick of getting beat and changed their system to 6 qualifiers and 6 picks and it seems to have worked out OK for them!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: thebigfella on September 26, 2021, 07:31:00 PM
Anyone thinking that bring Rose instead of Poulter would have made a difference knows fcuk all. The best putters have generally won and Rose isn't a better putter under pressure than Poulter.
It's amazing how guys who seemingly can't putt end up winning majors and stumble to the top of the world rankings.
Rose was still in the world's top 10 in 2020. His form dipped but at least you're not having to go back years to find top class form.

It's nearly a decade since Poulter played his best golf. In the end it made little difference, but the Poulter pick was sentimental.

thebigfella

The average world ranking for that entire US team was something like 8. The europeans were always up against it and it just happens the US played to their full ability.

Applesisapples

Not a fan of the Ryder Cup. But when two of your team are close to fifty and you have only two of the worlds top ten golfers you are going to get tanked. Add into that mix the form of the Americans in the last few weeks. Outside of Rahm and McIlroy, European golf is pretty shit. English golf is even worse. As Shane (Mario) said on Gift Grub this morning best lads weekend ever, sums it up.

Milltown Row2

I really thought the cheese hats would have swung it for them, where is it next?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 27, 2021, 09:59:29 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 26, 2021, 07:31:00 PM
Anyone thinking that bring Rose instead of Poulter would have made a difference knows fcuk all. The best putters have generally won and Rose isn't a better putter under pressure than Poulter.
It's amazing how guys who seemingly can't putt end up winning majors and stumble to the top of the world rankings.
Rose was still in the world's top 10 in 2020. His form dipped but at least you're not having to go back years to find top class form.

It's nearly a decade since Poulter played his best golf. In the end it made little difference, but the Poulter pick was sentimental.

His year end ranking in 2020 was 35. You need to go back to 2019 to find a bit of form for Rose as the ranking are calculated over a rolling 2 year period and effectively as all the good results dropped out of that period he quickly dropped down the rankings.

I didn't say Rose can't putt, I said Pouter is the better putter. Poulter is 3rd in strokes gained putting on the PGA tour for the 2021 season which is impressive; he is better putting stats than everyone of those players in the US team. So it's a no brainer who you pick between him and Rose.

Pouter won his singles against Finau, who is playing some of his best golf ever, on the greens. He was partnered with McIlroy in 2 other matches. McIlroy was shit in the foursomes and Johnson/Morikawa was easily the best pairing in the Ryder Cup.

He done what he needed to do when asked against the world number 10.

screenexile

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on September 27, 2021, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: mouview on September 27, 2021, 09:34:43 AM

Not sure but the Americans were sick of getting beat and changed their system to 6 qualifiers and 6 picks and it seems to have worked out OK for them!
Officially it's the Ryder Cup committee of each team, but they usually go for what the Captain asks.

IMO there's been huge overreaction to the number of picks allowed. Europe have often had only 2 and never more than 3 and they've been really successful.

I believe that Stricker going for 6 was primarily to make sure Reed couldn't get in, the way he gave out about the captain and vice captains after the Paris defeat. The US picked the Top 10 in their qualifying table anway. So they only really used 2 of the picks to pick Berger instead of Reed, and Scheffler ahead of Webb Simpson.

Poulter deserved his pick ahead of Rose. He has played better this year, was higher in the World points list qualifying table and has a better Ryder Cup record.
He was perhaps unlucky to be paired with Rory, who was completely offform. For Rory to play two fourball matches and break par on only one hole with his own ball over the 2 rounds was just incredible.

Westwood and Casey must have "just missed" a dozen or more putts between them in the 10-15 footer range. That encapsulated Europe. Played quite well tee to green, but didn't hole the putts (although the US ironplay was also better and thus left easier putts).

The guy on NBC during the preview said the US team would be better without Tiger and Phil taking all the attention and without dead wood like Bubba and Kuchar. This was a team of equals and all Top 10 or capable of being Top 10 players. They were just too good. Bryson was really their only one who could cause trouble and Stricker did well to keep him to just 2 of the doubles matches and never in the higher profile first and last games.

Bord na Mona man

Harrington himself reduced the wildcards from 4 to 3. Apparently he was given leeway to increase this during Covid but opted not to.

That left him a hostage to fortune.
I'm sure he would have preferred that the likes of Westwood and Wiesberger didn't make the auto slots, but a bigger problem is that there wasn't a queue of other players pushing them down the rankings.

An Watcher

Make qualifying last 6/9 months.  Two years allows off form players to qualify. 

Hound

3 years in this case so made it more so. although the current year results carries a higher weighting.
Westwood would have missed out had the same system as 2018 been used, but  likely he would have got a wildcard anyway.

Perez, MacIntyre, Migolozzi were the next 3 in the qualifying lists. Couldn't have done any worse, but not many people calling for them to be included beforehand.

Armamike

Not a golf fan at all or know much about it but what's the crack with McIlroy crying his eyes out?  Nobody likes to get beaten but his emotional reaction seems a little odd and over the top.   Maybe i've missed the significance of the Ryder cup to these players?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Armamike on September 27, 2021, 01:47:27 PM
Not a golf fan at all or know much about it but what's the crack with McIlroy crying his eyes out?  Nobody likes to get beaten but his emotional reaction seems a little odd and over the top.   Maybe i've missed the significance of the Ryder cup to these players?

I'd say you've answered your own question, I dont really get it myself but it must mean a lot to the players to be selected going by the reactions of Mcillroy, poulter, Westwood etc...Even by the way McGinley commentates about it on sky you can tell he has a great affinity with team Europe.