US Immigration Rules

Started by Niall Quinn, April 22, 2008, 11:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall Quinn

Does anyone know anything about getting into the US (as a visitor) with a criminal record?
The person in question has a drink driving conviction (10 odd years ago) from Belfast and wants to head out to the States for a few weeks this summer.
Firstly, do the US immigration issue definitives (if so where?) on this sort of thing or is it a case by case decision?
Would they be better coming clean upfront or is there scope for detection avoidance?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

new devil

He would be safe enough if its only drink driving

Niall Quinn

Quote from: new devil on April 23, 2008, 12:08:58 AM
He would be safe enough if its only drink driving

Do you know if that's documented anywhere New Devil?

new devil

Not 100% sure but i do no someone who was here last week and he served 4 years for manslaughter and he had no problem thats why i think your friend would be safe enough

J70

Do those kind of details show up on a passport check at immigration?

Niall Quinn

Quote from: J70 on April 23, 2008, 12:15:34 AM
Do those kind of details show up on a passport check at immigration?

That's what I'm unsure on - I'd like to find something in writing that defines the US position. He's made it over to Canada without any bother, but the US are notoriously hard assed about this sort of thing.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: new devil on April 23, 2008, 12:14:43 AM
Not 100% sure but i do no someone who was here last week and he served 4 years for manslaughter and he had no problem thats why i think your friend would be safe enough

I take it he just didn't declare it in that case?

Rav67

Heard about a fella with a recent conviction for possession of cannabis, at Dublin he was asked some questions randomly (not sure what was asked or if it was US or Irish officials), he thought it would be better to declare and then went on the plane but soon as he got to New York officials took him to a room and he was booked on next flight home.  I know they take any drug offence more serious but I wouldn't tell them anything if it was me.

Puckoon

Didnt they let Gerry in?

If it is a holiday visa - I dont think they will run a check on it, even if it is file somewhere that is accessible to them. If it was a long term visa then that might be a different story. Id say nothing myself.

tyssam5

Say nothing about it if he's only going on a holiday under the visa waiver program. I don't think Big Brother is quite as omnipresent as people make out. I would be extremely surprised if something showed up about it on a cursory passport check.

Even if you were applying for a working visa or such for the states, a DUI (in most states as far as I know) doesn't constitute a criminal offence only a misdemenour. Not if sure they have that distinction at home?

Puckoon

TYSAM makes a valid point - one more drink driver wont make much of a difference out west.

FL/MAYO

Chance it, sure even Bush has a DUI. Cannot see a DUI from 10 years ago been a problem, call the embassy and ask them if it would be a problem they will let you know where you stand if you are that worried about it.

mannix

As someone who travels there a lot i recommend in letting them do all the talking,and deny all.DUI is nothing to worry about but stuck to one story either way.
With the almost worthless dollar its a great time to visit.

Seamus

He should have no problem getting in. A 10 year old DWI or DUI no longer shows up on the drivier's record. If the driver was arrested for DWI again after the 10 year period the first offence is not even admissible in court.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".