Donegal Club Hurling & Football

Started by Flat Hedgehog, November 11, 2006, 05:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Hedgehog

The old Board didn't have a Donegal thread. So i'm putting that right now. Post everything about the club sence here so.

Good luck Cloughaneely & Naomh Brid in the Ulster championships.

The draw for the u-21 "A" championship quarter-finals has been made.

Sean MacCumhaills/Killybegs v Glenswilly
Buncrana v Naomh Conall
Gaoth Dobhair/Cloughaneely v Glenfin
Ardara v Kilcar
Knowledge only brings fear.

creative

I see buncrana were put out of the u21 championship today by naomh conall
Would have thought they would have a strong side in this competition.
Also Fanad beat by robert emmets inthe 'b',would have said the same about them too!
Never argue with an idiot,they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you on experience!

J70

About time we'd a few more Donegal men!

aodhruadh

Hear Hear....welcome Hedgehog.

Lets hope 2007 is a great year for the Herring Gutters.

J70

We'll need to find a few scoring forwards if that is to be the case!

thejohnharanexperi

Have'nt been posting since the exit to the rebels but with Naomh Brid flying the flag,the new forum and one or two more county posters about i'll try and contribute more before the start of next season on the 8th January.Good win yesterday in Irvinestown against a physically bigger Coa side but could have lost towards the end when they levelled at 10 points each having lead 0-10 to 0-5 at one stage.All will have to play above themselves if they are to overcome Bredagh who hammered Drum.Looks like its in Newcastle? on Sunday.
By the way we have found no one to strengthen the county squad at this stage and my auld username is short due to the limited charachters spaces available!!!
Yeah! that's right it's thejohnharanexperience

thejohnharanexperi

Well we played very well today to beat the competition favourites by 9 points.We won both halves and the turning points were Dermot Langan's goal,John 'Lefra' Gallaghers point blank save and a point by David Walsh follwing a sweeping move up the stand side in the second half.Late changes were enforced due to injuries picked up against Coa with Dermot Curristan making way for Pauric Rooney at full back and Ronan Gallagher starting for young John Mc Nulty.An early fisted goal following a free set us on our way early on and when the captain rattled the net midway thru the first half it looked like we might have enough of  gap going in at half time to defend against a strong wind in the second.All played well with special mention to the Walshes,John Paul Langan,Pauric Mc Daids freetaking and Paul Mc Grory and Dermot Langan in midfield.Owen Gorman played at his impish best and John Gallagher was sound in goals.The full back line steadied up as the game wore on and if we turn in a performance like that in the final well it'll take a helluva team to beat us.This is all in the context of a club from two small rural villages with a total club membership of less than 150.The support in Breffni was magnificent and we'll have the same again and more in the final.

Up Ballintra,Up Laghey,Up Drumholme and Mon Naomh Brid!

J70

JHE, I'd assumed you were a Eunan's man, given your name! Laghey area or Ballintra? I wore the St Naul's colours in my long-lost teenage years, so I came up against your boys a few times! Fair play to youse! Can't be easy sitting right between Aodh Rua and Four Masters! The Donegal Town boys certainly don't let us forget our relative lack of success!

ITOB

J70.
Love your post which says it all about smaller clubs succeeding dispite struggling between the geographical squeeze of larger more successful and glamorous clubs.  I bet a lot of your younger talent has been tempeted away over the years?

Indeed, listing such examples of such clubs to acknowledge their efforts is a subject worthy of a separate Discussion Thread. 
In Down for instance I can think of several small, usually rural clubs, that provide good examples including:  Longstone, Kilcoo, even Bredagh (although they compete mostly with the larger more glamorous Antrim city clubs).  Even the current county champions Mayobridge (a rural village sanwiched on all sides by big hitter Co Down clubs like Burren, Clonduff, Rostrevor, and the best of Newry provide a good example.  Just 20 odd years ago they had to fight their way out of the lowest Division in Down.

Another club in Down deserving praise for suceeding despite the odds is St Paul's.  In the not too distant past they had to operate on a 'keep-your-heads-down-and-hope-the loyalist-hoods don't notice-us basis.  Having their pitch 'glassed' and posts cut down was a regular occurance.  Their recruitment rate was badly affected by this eventhough they are located in perhaps the heaviest populated region.  This in turn lead to weak teams that invariably suffered plenty hammerings.  Despite all this, today this year they won promotion and the furure looks good.

Opps, going on too much about Co Down on the Donegal thread, sorry.  Anyway,  I was at the match today and, althought not happy about the result, I can congratulate Naoibh Brid played on playing a very cleaver game, one that prevented Bredagh getting their style of game going.  Naoibh Vrid have a sound gameplan backed up with lots of good talented players and a great team spirit.  I hope this takes you farandgood luck in the final.

Bye the way your keeper's 2nd hald save was imense and deserves special mention. It came at an important time and seemed to say that "Naoimbh Brid could take anything Bredagh could throw".  He's only a young lad too.

J70

Quote from: ITOB on November 19, 2006, 07:44:00 PM

Another club in Down deserving praise for suceeding despite the odds is St Paul's.  In the not too distant past they had to operate on a 'keep-your-heads-down-and-hope-the loyalist-hoods don't notice-us basis.  Having their pitch 'glassed' and posts cut down was a regular occurance.  Their recruitment rate was badly affected by this eventhough they are located in perhaps the heaviest populated region.  This in turn lead to weak teams that invariably suffered plenty hammerings.  Despite all this, today this year they won promotion and the furure looks good.

That's a type of story that we from the south don't always appreciate. I'm sure its been repeated all over the north.

thejohnharanexperi

Naomh Brid 0-9 Greencastle 1-7

Never been so angry and depressed after a defeat like this.No one can have any gripes if the better team triumphs but the least we merited today was a draw.By half time we knew it probably was'nt going to be our day with our frees not going over and conceding a sickener of a goal midway thru.A miscued free that somehow managed to trundle between two of our full back line and John Gallagher in goal.The opposition had started the better and we were second to most ball.Michael gallagher started the same line up as the semi final which was to cost us as dermot Curristan and possibly Stephen Walls should have started.
We went in four points down at half time with the wind advantage against us.
However after the goal with the fantastic vocal support by what seemed most of Drumholme we began to slowly peg back the deficit.But for some wrong options by our full forward line we should have equalised.greencastle were holding on for all of the second half with their only scores coming from frees.
Best for us was Fermot Currisatn,Sean Gormley,John Paul Langan,the Walshes,Paul Mc Grory and Owen Gorman. The average age of that team is 21 so next years aim must be promotion as progression from this year is paramount.The pain of a narrow defeat for your county pails by comparison with the void of despair when your club are edged out.
Good luck to Greencastle

MON NAOMH BRID

J70

Hard luck JHE. Was hoping youse would do it.

thejohnharanexperi

Yeah J70 it's gonna take at least a week to get back to some kinda equilibrium but what a journey to go thru in the depths of Winter.For all concerned it was like Italia 90 and September 92 times 10!!!.I drove up from Waterford today and was never as nervous before a match.Close defeats are such absolute sickeners.

john mcgill

Hard luck Naomh Brid.  The Salmon Inn will be subdued tonight.

ziggysego

Pictures of Greencastle's (Tyrone) victory over Naomh Brid in yesterday's Ulster Junior Championship Final at Casement Park are now available to view on Greencastle's website. Almost 100 pictures to see!
Testing Accessibility