Mass

Started by Olly, May 04, 2022, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

Dose anyone go to the mass any more? When I was small my mother would have beaten the life out of me even if I was sick and couldn't go or you'd think you were going tto hell. I remember having bad diahorrea one night and because I was a big family I crapped all over my brothers legs as we were in the same bed. She hosed us down and still made us go to mass.

Is mass dying out and who still goes to it or is it as popular as ever? ANd do confessions still happen?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Armagh18

Mass and tay the two hot topics on here at the min!

J70

Stopped going the second I was away from home for college. Weddings and funerals of those who value the churches involvement in such things are the only time I'm ever near one now. My own wedding was secular. Neither child is baptized or being brought up with any religious belief.

thewobbler

Eldest lad had confirmation on Friday past.

Arrived at the chapel for 5.45pm as requested. Service lasted from 6-7.45pm then there were a few group photos.

So because the priest wanted to ensure that everyone got the full ultra-repetitive mass experience as well as the full confirmation experience, all our young families and elderly grandparents were forced to  sit, bored out of their f**king minds, for over two hours.

When someone reviews the demise of the Catholic Church in 50 years time, they'll have an easy synopsis to "reveal": once the Information Age wiped out all the bad eggs in the priest hood, the only ones left behind were those so utterly committed to the catholic mass, that they were unable see its very make up was driving people people away in masses.

Eire90

Quote from: Olly on May 04, 2022, 04:50:38 PM
Dose anyone go to the mass any more? When I was small my mother would have beaten the life out of me even if I was sick and couldn't go or you'd think you were going tto hell. I remember having bad diahorrea one night and because I was a big family I crapped all over my brothers legs as we were in the same bed. She hosed us down and still made us go to mass.

Is mass dying out and who still goes to it or is it as popular as ever? ANd do confessions still happen?

The people that use to be the mass police have transform into other types of zealotry

Eire90

i wonder if willl ever die out completely within 50 years or is there too many culture religious types who love a big day out just so they can have facebook photos and be nosy and eat a big meal.

Cunny Funt

Only go for funerals and weddings.

"Why did you ever bother going to mass? Was it fear of God, to find a wife, or just buying shares in the afterlife?"

Same Oul Town, Saw Doctors.

whitey

In the states, Mass lasts an hour at a minimum so trying to keep kids occupied is an absolute nightmare

Attendance was light before Covid, but post Covid there has been a huge decline even from that low point.

One of my guys made his confirmation last week and the  priest was actually calling around checking up on the sponsors....he essentially accused my wife's aunt of lying on her  form which led to a big hullabaloo.

We said that once confirmation was over-we're done

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2022, 05:24:36 PM

Arrived at the chapel for 5.45pm as requested. Service lasted from 6-7.45pm then there were a few group photos.

So because the priest wanted to ensure that everyone got the full ultra-repetitive mass experience as well as the full confirmation experience, all our young families and elderly grandparents were forced to  sit, bored out of their f**king minds, for over two hours.

When someone reviews the demise of the Catholic Church in 50 years time, they'll have an easy synopsis to "reveal": once the Information Age wiped out all the bad eggs in the priest hood, the only ones left behind were those so utterly committed to the catholic mass, that they were unable see its very make up was driving people people away in masses.

Why get your wain confirmed. Mini wedding ?

thewobbler

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 06:10:45 PM

To be honest with you, if I thought the wife would eventually forgive me, I'd excuse the rest of the litter from this ordeal.

weareros

Went when young to please parents and to see the hot townie girls. Unfortunately that changed when old man learned of a priest in a neighbouring rural parish who was saying mass in 15 minutes and we were packed in car to go there. It was fast but lacked the views. Don't go now or require my own kids.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2022, 06:21:10 PM

To be honest with you, if I thought the wife would eventually forgive me, I'd excuse the rest of the litter from this ordeal.

Lol. Fair enough. I stopped going to mass bar maybe Easter and Xmas, love it Xmas Eve.

I wuold pick bits and pieces of morals and ethics from different religions and none

delgany

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 07:00:49 PM

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2022, 06:21:10 PM

Lol. Fair enough. I stopped going to mass bar maybe Easter and Xmas, love it Xmas Eve.

I wuold pick bits and pieces of morals and ethics from different religions and none

Local primary school in Belfast , 600 kids , about 65% of RC faith background , 25 % other faiths, 10% no faith background .of the 65 % , less than 5% go to the chapel on Sunday.
The church is bucked.
Confession is generally by appointment ! Like ...what a way to put people off !
If sacraments werent in school, it would be all over !

bennydorano

There's no Religion in me but I'd consider myself spiritual and open minded to faith in it's multiple forms, but the act of Mass itself is just awful. The rote rhyming off, stand up, sit down, kneel... designed for a people who were used to being told what to do, we aren't those people anymore.

My wife is real old school Catholic and I actually admire her faith & if I'm honest im probably a wee bit jealous, I've always thought having a real genuine faith would just make life that bit easier. I've 3 kids in their later teens, no Religion in any of them, RC Church is doomed.

whitey

https://www.dotnews.com/2022/st-brendan-parishioner-asks-cardinal-keep-beacon-our-faith-gallivan

One of the highest profile parishes in Boston area shutting its doors at the end of the month

Sounds like the "new" parish priest is a real piece of work