Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd p

Can anyone post who makes up the Down backroom team?

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

Castlewellan take players from the Finn,
Downpatrick take players from Bright, Ardglass, Saul
Saul take players from Kilclief
Bredagh take players from Antrim Belfast clubs
Bryansford take players from Dundrum
Dundrum took players from Ballykilnar

Let's not get on like its a South Down clubs issue like some posters are trying to make out
[/quote]

Don't forget Kilcoo taking players from clubs. They have a lad on senior squad at minute from Bryansford!!! Not so innocent our magpies

Johnnysboys

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 01:57:56 PM
Has it not always been the case that any of the established teams would struggle to get more than 3 players through each year to the senior team.  Is it not the nature of things you have to be a very good minor to make it to the senior teams of Kilcoo, Burren or Clonduff etc ?

Even when Burren had mediocre teams in the early 2000's 80% of the minor teams coming through drifted to seconds/thirds teams and some even just drifted away from football altogether.  I would suggest that is the case throughout the county.

As you say this was a freak under 20 team so I dont think it will be an issue in the Burren club going forward.

On the issue of managing the flow ( if there is an issue ), should it not be on the likes of CPN, Saval or whoever else feels hard done by to do something about it rather than Burren closing its gates or the county board getting involved.  Should it not be up to those clubs to make themselves a more attractive proposition to kids and children.  I know CPN are working on it but their facilities are amongst the worst in the top division and have been for 20 years.

We own St Mark's and have two full size halls in there for winter training, a pitch and half all on one site for our underage to avail of. Moygannon pitch is one of the best surfaces in the county and will get better with our new development in the coming years..

Lotto

By f**k, the slurry spreaders were in overtime today. Must be the busiest day on record.

Lotto

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 07, 2022, 06:46:25 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 01:57:56 PM
Has it not always been the case that any of the established teams would struggle to get more than 3 players through each year to the senior team.  Is it not the nature of things you have to be a very good minor to make it to the senior teams of Kilcoo, Burren or Clonduff etc ?

Even when Burren had mediocre teams in the early 2000's 80% of the minor teams coming through drifted to seconds/thirds teams and some even just drifted away from football altogether.  I would suggest that is the case throughout the county.

As you say this was a freak under 20 team so I dont think it will be an issue in the Burren club going forward.

On the issue of managing the flow ( if there is an issue ), should it not be on the likes of CPN, Saval or whoever else feels hard done by to do something about it rather than Burren closing its gates or the county board getting involved.  Should it not be up to those clubs to make themselves a more attractive proposition to kids and children.  I know CPN are working on it but their facilities are amongst the worst in the top division and have been for 20 years.

We own St Mark's and have two full size halls in there for winter training, a pitch and half all on one site for our underage to avail of. Moygannon pitch is one of the best surfaces in the county and will get better with our new development in the coming years..

How exactly does St Peter's Warrenpoint own a school?

charlieTully

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 12:09:46 PM
This discussion is hilarious today.

The comments about Glenn and Dromintine Sunday is particularly funny and the loaning of players.  A WUM at its best.

On another point is Ballyholland seen as a Newry club ?  Does their parish include parts of Newry ?  Genuine question as the perception is that a load of lads from Newry play for them now compared to 10-15 years ago.

I did lol at the dromantine comment

Lloyd p

Only 22 Down players named on official team sheet for tonight. Unheard off at this level really.

Subs:
Charlie Smyth
Tomas Mcinerney
Cormac Macartan - In for Collins
Liam Middleton
Cormac O'Rawe - In for Murtagh
Tim Prenter
Ronan Beatty

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 07, 2022, 06:40:48 PM
Don't forget Kilcoo taking players from clubs. They have a lad on senior squad at minute from Bryansford!!! Not so innocent our magpies

Sure the Brannigans (no, not them Brannigans, the other ones) - have had a bad sense of direction for years. They should have been turning right when heading out onto the Moneyscalp road.  ;D
i usse an speelchekor

thebar

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 07, 2022, 06:40:48 PM

Castlewellan take players from the Finn,
Downpatrick take players from Bright, Ardglass, Saul
Saul take players from Kilclief
Bredagh take players from Antrim Belfast clubs
Bryansford take players from Dundrum
Dundrum took players from Ballykilnar

Let's not get on like its a South Down clubs issue like some posters are trying to make out
[/quote]

[/quote]
I doubt it Johnny in the 1st 15?? cant be!

urbangael

Any reason why Down only have a squad of 22 for the opening game of the season? Has covid hit the camp already or could some lads not be bothered heading the whole way to Donegal ona cold Jan evening. If wee James keeps us in Div 2 it's some achievement! Good luck to the lads making debuts. Always a proud moment no matter the circumstances.

Targetman

SHEEDY

Quote from: urbangael on January 07, 2022, 07:41:42 PM
Any reason why Down only have a squad of 22 for the opening game of the season? Has covid hit the camp already or could some lads not be bothered heading the whole way to Donegal ona cold Jan evening. If wee James keeps us in Div 2 it's some achievement! Good luck to the lads making debuts. Always a proud moment no matter the circumstances.
apparently they lost a few players to covid during the week
nil satis nisi optimum

supersub

Quote from: Green+Gold on January 07, 2022, 07:56:42 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 07, 2022, 07:53:46 PM
£10 and match fuckin froze!!

Absolute joke

And do you think they are going to keep your £10 note and ride off gleefully into the distance never to be seen again? No, of course not. It will be refunded as would happen anywhere and it'll be forgotten about and go again Tuesday evening. Calm down, there's worse things going on in the world to get angry at.

whitegoodman

Will be interesting to see if they do provide a refund.