Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I know, when I lived in Belfast me and missus would have been there twice a week and would have pulled the odd double header too. The cinema is great in the afternoon. I hated packed shows as there was always some twat annoying everyone.

leenie

i watched the film version of phathom of the opera (2004) this evening and was well impressed especially with gerad bulter.. wat a voice he has.... wasn't looking as pretty as he usually does!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

ziggysego

Saw Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events for the first time tonight. For a children's film, it's very dark. Well worth a watch.
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Watched a few over the past few weeks:

Seven Pounds - slow pace but very watchable, mature performance from Will Smith. Recommended
Hancock - don't really go for the superhero fantasy movie myself but I really enjoyed this. Will Smith again showing he's not a one trick pony. Recommended
Ghost Town - in the same vein as the Patrick Swayze film Ghost from a few years ago with the bloke from the 'Office' in the Whoopie Goldberg role. Bloke from the 'Office' shows he is a one trick pony. Not Recommended.
The Kite Runner - watched this a few times and still not convinced (that it's as good as it should be) though that's probably because I just finished the book a few weeks back. I got the impression most of the actors inexperienced but the Director has still managed the difficult subject matter very well. An excellent film, though not as gripping as the book. Recommended
Malcom X - Spike Lee continues to mature as a Director but I think he takes a few too many liberties with this one i.e. there are quite a few inaccuracies which had me thinking Lee was doing a propaganda job. Still, Will Smith is good in the role but the ending is very "smaltzy". Mandela turning up is also a bit stomach turning. Recommended
Peter Kays Special Kay - clips of his tv appearances. Only for the hard core. Not recommended
Peter Kay Live at Bolton Albert Hall - Okay. Not as 'wholesome' as his earlier standup but funny enough I suppose. Neutral
300 - pile of shite. Avoid
Going My Way - Bing Crosby at his best. Heart warming film making at its best. Recommended
Wall-E - (pronounced Wally). Thought it slow and by the numbers myself but the weemen in the house like it. Not recommended
Step Brothers - very funny. Recommended
Taken - big Neeson in an action movie. Works fairly well. Recommended

pintsofguinness

Righteous Kill - hmm, it's not heat.  Talents of Al Pacino and De Niro wasted in it imo. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Righteous Kill is wafer thin on all levels, a films that insults the discerning filmgoer who were sucked in to watch De Niro and Pacino.

I watched Revolutionary Road.
I thought it would have made a brilliant stage play.

It's a slow and intense drama with Di Caprio and Winslet at the centre.
Some scenes are just full blown images from real life flung back at gale force to the audience.
The peak is reached with the last argument, captures the essence of total and utter breakdown.

The actor who played Kathy Bates's son stole every scene he was in.
A very good film.

Tony Baloney

I'd say you'd get short odds on Kate Winslet getting another Oscar nomination this year. She must be on four or five nominations without getting the nod. Maybe this year!

ONeill

Only got around to watching Mean Streets (1973) last week. Underrated film - as good as Goodfellas.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AFS

Went to see Yes Man the other night. Its no classic but it had its moments.

under the bar

Godfather Part 2 was on last nite and I sat up till 2am watching it.  Part 3 on tonight.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2008, 10:45:44 AM
Righteous Kill is wafer thin on all levels, a films that insults the discerning filmgoer who were sucked in to watch De Niro and Pacino.

I watched Revolutionary Road.
I thought it would have made a brilliant stage play.

It's a slow and intense drama with Di Caprio and Winslet at the centre.
Some scenes are just full blown images from real life flung back at gale force to the audience.
The peak is reached with the last argument, captures the essence of total and utter breakdown.

The actor who played Kathy Bates's son stole every scene he was in.
A very good film.

Saw a trailer for that how the other night while I was at the cinema

Wasn't impressed, it didn't look very exciting, not a lot looked to be happening??

Saying that I do like Leo, hes such a dream boat.

Main Street

Your instincts are spot on.
It's not the film for you.
It's the paint drying opposite of excitement.

However it does exorcise totally the ghosts of the Titanic romantic schmaltz between them with nuclear force.

milltown row

took kids out to watch Bedtime Stories, not a massive Sandler fan but the film was good aul craic, kids loved it and it went quick enough

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2008, 05:31:55 PM
Your instincts are spot on.
It's not the film for you.
It's the paint drying opposite of excitement.

However it does exorcise totally the ghosts of the Titanic romantic schmaltz between them with nuclear force.

What do you base this on?!?!?

Main Street

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on December 30, 2008, 05:34:45 PM
What do you base this on?!?!?

"Wasn't impressed, it didn't look very exciting, not a lot looked to be happening??"