McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

Vernon seemed to be star of the show! New Mc geeney I've just been told

Buckass

only got 6-4 myself with Boyles but saw powers went 13-8 after Down got backed in from 10-11 to 8-13. Feared a student attempt to pay for Sigerson expenses!A O'R would have enjoyed that tonight

AFS

Quote from: goldenyears on January 22, 2009, 09:26:38 PM

Might have a similar physique but he's a different type of player. Seems to be improving all the time, looking forward to seeing him in an orange jersey this year  :)

Open yer eyes Man

Don't think that the Armagh posters will agree with that.  There would be alot of doubts about whether he can deliver on the big occasion and if people are making comparisons with Mc Geeney, then they are being a bit presumptious.

stiffler

The finals on tg4 on saturday, programme starts at 7.15pm
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Leo

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 22, 2009, 09:33:43 PM

Don't think that the Armagh posters will agree with that.  There would be alot of doubts about whether he can deliver on the big occasion and if people are making comparisons with Mc Geeney, then they are being a bit presumptious.

As a Down fan I never quite bought into this Kernan-hyped McGeeney myth but to me Vernon is the real deal - best natural gaelic footballer I have ssen emerge in the last 5 years, physique, brains, two feet, athletic - got it all.
McDonnell can safely build a team around this guy and we will all be afraid.
Fierce tame altogether

never kickt a ball

Tyrone V Monaghan match on TG4 can be found here:

Go to sport:

http://www.tg4.tv/channels/SportArchive.aspx#

The Corporal

Must agree with most posters. Was at the match and Vernon is an animal, he's actually pretty skillful too for a big lad. If he had of been greedy he could have ended up with 5/6 points but laid the ball off to his team-mates. Actually thought Luke Howard had a good game too, spoiled plenty of ball that was going into Benny although Benny got away a couple of times and punished Queens.

Joxer

Any reports from the game last night?

This working craic isn't on!

Who played well for Down?

Off The Fence

Went to the game last night saying that Queens would overpower Down and that is exactly what they did.   The game opened at 100mph and it seemed both sides were leaving it wide open.  Down scored a very well worked goal after 10 minutes involving Benny Coulter and Magee.  Coulter under a high ball is immense and is great to watch.  Magee, although he took the ball well looked nervous and always looking to pass the ball.  Queens settled down first and once they settled they literally cleaned up!  I don't remember Down winning a ball around the middle of the field after the first 10-15 mins.  Charlie Vernon cleaned up as did Courtney, O'Hagan and I think McArdle?  SL MCGoldrick worked his socks off between the two 21's and this resulted in Queens dominance.  After Down scored the goal, Queens just waltzed down the field and nabbed the 3 points back through Vernon, O'Neill and Kielt I think. 

Second half was no different.  Down threatend but in all honesty never looked like breaking down the Queens defence.  Thought Luke Howard was superb in the FB line and surely must be a starter for Down this year.  Amazingly,  Downs midfield stayed on the field until the final 15 minutes.  Queens could have taken a 40foot lorry down the middle of Pairc Esler last night, tehre was that much space for them.  Down let them run at them at their ease. 

Some great football by Queens in the second half with strong running down the middle from Vernon, Crozier and McGoldrick resulted in endless supply of quality ball been put into O'Neill and Kielt who cleaned up.  Its great to see different balls go into these boys, whether it be the long high ball or the measured pass,  these two boys will win it all night long for you!  Two quality quality footballers who will work their socks off. 

Down were pathetic to be honest.  McKenna cup or no McKenna cup.  These are the boys you will be using this year because the injured list looks long term and midfield is a massive problem area for them. 

Best on the night for Down,  Kevin McKernan tried his heart out and was fighting a losing battle by himself.  Benny was Benny with no help whatsoever and thats probably it.  For Queens,  it was a real team performance and they were dominant throughout.  Howard was very good as was O'Hagan.  Up front McGoldrick, McGinn, Bayne and Loughry worked tirelessly in the half forward line and in the FF line, Shaun O'Neill and James Kielt were a class above the Down backs (excuse the pun).  Man of the Match however was Charlie Vernon.  The man looks like a machine and Down had no answer for him constantly running down the throat of them.  Must have tagged on 3 or 4 points too for his efforts.  Head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch and thats including James Kielt who was superb scoring 1-5.

Will be an interesting final and for the neutral,  i hope that two games in two days doesn't destroy it for Queens.

Just a word on the referee before I finish.  i thought McEneaney refereed this game excellently last night.  Common sense prevailed on a night where open football was played.  Seen it refereed like this gives you something to think about with these new rules, though Pat McEneaney cant referee every game on a Sunday.  Wasn't looking to be centre of attention and let the game flow where he could.

corn02

Quote from: Leo on January 23, 2009, 12:27:17 AM

As a Down fan I never quite bought into this Kernan-hyped McGeeney myth

Elaborate?

bennydorano

Charlie is 22, at 22 McGeeney was a very ordinary bit part player, if they follow the same path, i'll be happy.

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 23, 2009, 09:25:40 AM

Charlie is 22, at 22 McGeeney was a very ordinary bit part player, if they follow the same path, i'll be happy.

And for anyone who doesn't believe you, watch the Fermanagh comeback game, I think it was Geezer's debut, a very slight, dodgy looking corner back. Look what he became.

andunabu

As a Down man and a Queens man I have to say I really enjoyed the match.  It's great to see the Universities involved in this competition.  It's just a pity that they weren't involved sooner.  In particular the Queen's team of 1992-93, with Anthony Tohill, James McCartan, Kieran McGeeney, Paul Brewster (who was captain), a very young Paul McGrane, Cathal O'Rourke, Denis Hollywood, Paddy McGuinness, Eamonn Connolly, Eamonn Burns (Derry) and a lot of other quality players.  Imagine what this team would have done!

As for last night, you must remember Down were missing a lot of players through injury and a flu bug.  But that Queen's team is very well drilled and are extremely fit and sharp. Ithinkl a fully fit Down would still have struggled.    Vernon was superb, Man of the Match, as was o'hAgain, Crozier and Howard in defence. Courtney and McArdle supported Vernon well and up front Bayne, McGoldrick and in particular Kielt and O'Neill tortured Down.  Their support play and kick passing was brilliant. Aidan (O'Rourke) has done a great job.  They could win the McKenna cup. 

Looking forward to the first round of Sigerson, Quenns v Poly. Should be great.

Malone Aristocrat

Fantastic performance from the queens men last night. From the point of view of any county team and supporter its neither here nor there to lose a McKenna Cup game at this stage of the season. glorified challenge. however, to the universities its a massive achievement. vernon and howard are close to established county footballers and though crozier & loughrey start for antrim i'm not sure they would elsewhere. the rest of the lads might be McKenna cup panellists a best for their respective counties. from that point of view its a fantastic achievement.

Down were very poor. coulter and magee looked dangerous under the high ball early on, particularly after queens lost the full and corner back in the opening few minutes but when they settled the students handled them quite well. you wouldn't have known sexton and hughes were on the pitch. Lynch and to a lesser extent ireland were outclassed in the middle and the centre of the down defence was woejus. carr got a pasting from young maginn and o'neill won every ball in front of McKernan at full back.

for queens, vernon was immense as has been well documented but loughrey won possibly as much ball and it was great to see paul courtney back playing good football. Everything that was good about queens went through Maginn and the O'Neill / Kielt pairing were lethal. as a former queens man it'd be great to see them win the McKenna cup.... even though most people don't really care!