McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2014, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: stronghold on January 21, 2014, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: God14 on January 21, 2014, 10:53:22 AM
Id guess we will move towards two groups (one with 4 teams & the second group with 5 teams)
The two winners of each group to play in the final. You could have semi finals as well if you wanted but it would be overkill.

The UUJ message comes across as very shabby & not well thought out. It is in complete contrast to the tone of their previous statement when they couldn't fulfil their last league game due to exam commitments, injuries & player unavailability. It smacks of one impulsive tweet to a journalist by the individual who controls their official twitter account.

This mess should be sorted out by saying the dual players at colleges / county can choose which side they'd like to declare for.
How can you compare a one sentence tweet to a press release. The tweet was talking about next year and never mentioned Tyrone. It is the only solution either the universities exit the Mc Kenna Cup or all the counties comply with the rules and the spirit of the rules. Afterall the counties sign up each year to these rules. The current situation is unsustainable. A University cannot compete if they lose 12/13 players to the Counties.
This is the only solution
1. Exclude the Universities or
2. Include the Universities and invite those Counties would will abide by the rules and regulations

This. They offer very little to the competition except complaining and whinging.

The addition of 3 more teams increases the number of games from 8 or 12 depending on format to the current 21. With the stated aim of the competition to develop and look at possible new players and to give them game time, I'd not be as quick to label that as offering nothing. Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

trueblue1234

If they went to two groups of 5 & 4 each team would get min of 3 games. Same as current set up. And no hassle.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

stalwart

i think everyone has lost the run of themselves- its the mc kenna cup - a few years ago the mc kennas didnt go to the mc kenna cup!

EC Unique

Quote from: sheamy on January 22, 2014, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2014, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: stronghold on January 21, 2014, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: God14 on January 21, 2014, 10:53:22 AM
Id guess we will move towards two groups (one with 4 teams & the second group with 5 teams)
The two winners of each group to play in the final. You could have semi finals as well if you wanted but it would be overkill.

The UUJ message comes across as very shabby & not well thought out. It is in complete contrast to the tone of their previous statement when they couldn't fulfil their last league game due to exam commitments, injuries & player unavailability. It smacks of one impulsive tweet to a journalist by the individual who controls their official twitter account.

This mess should be sorted out by saying the dual players at colleges / county can choose which side they'd like to declare for.
How can you compare a one sentence tweet to a press release. The tweet was talking about next year and never mentioned Tyrone. It is the only solution either the universities exit the Mc Kenna Cup or all the counties comply with the rules and the spirit of the rules. Afterall the counties sign up each year to these rules. The current situation is unsustainable. A University cannot compete if they lose 12/13 players to the Counties.
This is the only solution
1. Exclude the Universities or
2. Include the Universities and invite those Counties would will abide by the rules and regulations

This. They offer very little to the competition except complaining and whinging.

The addition of 3 more teams increases the number of games from 8 or 12 depending on format to the current 21. With the stated aim of the competition to develop and look at possible new players and to give them game time, I'd not be as quick to label that as offering nothing. Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I see more value in less games with the whole panel than more games with a depleted panel.

rrhf

I loved my time at university and I should have been kicked out for sure.  No nostalgia though its time to kick the late risers out..

Redhand Santa

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 10, 2014, 02:18:01 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 10, 2014, 02:11:42 PM

Tyrone team v Queens – Sunday 12th January

Comórtas: Dr McKenna Cup
Cluiche: QUB v Tír Eoghain
Ionad: An Omaigh
Dáta: 12 Eanair 2014
Throw-in: 2pm

1 Michael O'Neill Cluain Eo
2 Hugh Gallagher An Omaigh
3 Kevin Campbell Doire Treasc
4 Ronan McNamee Achadh Uí Aráin
5 Ciaran McGinley Aireagal Chiaráin
6 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Tiernan McCann Coill an Chlochair
8 Niall McKenna An Domhnach Mór
9 Conan Grugan An Omaigh
10 Kevin Gallagher An Baile Nua
11 Peter Hughes Eiscreach
12 PJ Lavery Cluain Eo
13 Patrick Quinn Dún Geanainn
14 Daniel McNulty Cluain Eo
15 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
16 Niall Morgan Éadan na dTorc
17 Conor Clarke An Omaigh
18 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
19 Danny McBride An Srath Ban
20 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin
21 Shea McGuigan Ard Bó
22 Emmett McKenna Eaglais
23 Patrick McNiece Oileán a'Ghuail
24 Ronan O'Neill An Omaigh
25 Darren McCurry Éadan na dTorc

Yeah the college lads were badly needed, Mattie Donnely, Ronan O Neill, Danny McBride, sitting on the bench

All 3 college boys named above are starting again on Saturday. I'd say the college boys have got more out of the McKenna cup with tyrone than they would have with their uni's.

Would be great to see such an inexperienced tyrone team go on and win this and very encouraging for the year ahead. When I saw the panel I thought we'd struggle to get out of the group.

screenexile

f**k Mickey Harte why should he be dictating the terms of the competition. If the Ulster Council told him tough shit then he would have to lick his wounds and play the McKenna Cup without the Uni lads anyway because Tyrone "don't do challenge matches".

There should be an * beside any win they've had since 2007 (They won because they used all their college players!)

Redhand Santa

Quote from: screenexile on January 23, 2014, 10:37:27 PM
f**k Mickey Harte why should he be dictating the terms of the competition. If the Ulster Council told him tough shit then he would have to lick his wounds and play the McKenna Cup without the Uni lads anyway because Tyrone "don't do challenge matches".

There should be an * beside any win they've had since 2007 (They won because they used all their college players!)

I'm sure the vast majority of people don't give a crap about the uni's preparations for the sigerson cup and will have no interest in the competition. It's an easy way to give Harte amuse. As the most successful manager in ulster I will trust his judgement which he has been consistent on over the years.

tbrick18

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 23, 2014, 10:49:58 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 23, 2014, 10:37:27 PM

I'm sure the vast majority of people don't give a crap about the uni's preparations for the sigerson cup and will have no interest in the competition. It's an easy way to give Harte amuse. As the most successful manager in ulster I will trust his judgement which he has been consistent on over the years.

Judgement has nothing to do with it. If the GAA set rules, and a manager blatantly encourages/forces his players to break those rules it's not in keeping with the ethos of GAA.
He's going against the very organisation he is a part of for his own petty gains.
He comes across as a man who very much likes being top of the heap and sticks 2 fingers up to anyone who dare tell him to follow someone elses rules.
Regardless of whether you agree with the Universities being involved in the McKenna cup or not, the Ulster Council need to grow a set and stand up to MH. Everyone else plays by the rules or the organisation....why shouldn't he. Why should he have a right to flaunt the rules when most others abide by them?

smort

As much as I agree, it is probably a bit late to try enforcing the rules now when Mickey has got away with it for years. A change to the competition is probably needed.

Fuzzman

Came on here to see were the teams named for Sat night and is it on TV or radio anywhere?
Instead ye're still giving out about Mickey Harte and his breaking of the rules whilst the Ulster council do nothing.

You can slag Mickey off all you like but you have to say he's got Tyrone back in reasonably good shape with good competition for places and confidence high. I know the league is a step up but I'm happier going into the start of the league with a lot of our forwards showing good form such as Lavery, Mattie, Ronan, Shea McGuigan, McCurry last week and McAliskey.
Do many of ye rate McNeice?
Surprised Niall McKenna made it into the Gaelic life team of the week this week

From the Tyrone GAA website
1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 – Conor Clarke – An Omaigh
4 – Barry Tierney – An Omaigh
5 – Ciaran McGinley – Aireagal Chiaráin
6 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
8 – Niall McKenna – An Domhnach Mór
9 – Danny McBride – An Srath Ban
10 – Plunkett Kane – Oileán a'Ghuail
11 – Shea McGuigan – Ard Bó
12 – PJ Lavery – Cluain Eo
13 – Patrick McNeice – Oileán a'Ghuail
14 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
15 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo
17 – Kevin Campbell – Doire Treasc
18 – Hugh Gallagher – An Omaigh
19 – Kevin Gallagher – An Baile Nua
20 – Conan Grugan – An Omaigh
21 – Peter Hughes – - Eiscreach
22 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo
23 – Emmett McKenna – Eaglais
24 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
25 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
26 – Patrick Quinn – Dún Geanainn

smort

Again, mcnulty doesn't seem to be on the squad. Does anyone know what the story is there? From what I have seen of him the past couple of seasons he has great potential at full forward for us.

The Trap

If you look at Tyrone's fixtures for National League they will do weel to avoid relegation.......

shawshank

Fuzzman the GL's team of the week should not ever be taken seriously. As you say Mc kenna in this weeks, was none existent after the first 5 minutes last week against Derry. James Kielt was on the weeks before for his performance against Fermanagh, and as I was at it, I can tell he was crap, kicked a few points at the end when given the ball but in truth didn't want to know, unlike last Sunday V Tyrone where he came on and was interested and it showed.

smort

Why do you think that trap? Tyrone got to the final last year, and Derry and Westmeath have replaced Donegal and Down. Away to Kerry and Cork is tough but we won in Kildare last year and I fancy a win in Celtic Park next weekend.