Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty one yard free

Quote from: Jeremiah O on September 05, 2018, 02:52:49 PM
The reason Kyle Coney refused to join the panel is because he was struggling badly with a knee injury at the time and did not want to be joining the panel unless 100% fit.

Kyle has been playing well for Ardboe this year , probably their top scorer

bigtogs

Give all we had on Sunday but was not enough.....We talk about our forwards taking wrong options we conceded 2-17 wont win many game conceding that amount..... Baffles me why our top scorer McAliskey has a full tracking job to do nearly the whole time he is on the field very rarely does this role leave him close to goals...

Under Lights

Could we convince Dermo Connolly to settle back in Tyrone, sacked off by the dubs be a good man to stop the drive for five. Connolly a strong Tyrone name.

Jayop

2nd best team in the country that put up a decent display against what's widely regarded as the best team ever. We're in a good place with a very good young team.

Therealdonald

I think after the euphoria from the weekend subsides and we sit down and thoroughly assess where we're at, we'll find we are probably as far away as we have been since 2011.

The fact remains that we haven't beaten 1 any of the big teams (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo) since 2009. No team that we have beaten in a knock-out match since 2013 has went on to win the All-Ireland. We are a fair ways behind both Mayo and Kerry. We benefited greatly from both of them having an off year. We were glorified Ulster Champions by virtue of the Super 8. The All Ireland Final was over as a contest after 33mins. I'm by no means a Harte basher but we have to be honest. It's not good enough. Only for a fortuitous Darren Hughes block which resulted in Sludden's goal it was 50/50 whether or not we were going to beat Monaghan. I'm not sure if a management team needs assembled, or if we're simply not good enough but since we lost to Mayo in 2016, everything has been geared towards to the Dubs both fitness wise and system wise, and now twice we have come up short. I detest mentioning him but I listen to Wooly Parkinson but he called it completely right last week, Colly Cav and/or his role was completely negated by the Dubs, so essentially we were 15 v 14 for the whole match. I'm just not sure where we go or what we do from here, if we're not as fit as the Dubs, then do we need a new trainer, if our system is outdated then do we need a new manager? Or is it simply that we don't have the players? I'm sure we will all watch club championship games over the next few months and see classy, strong athletic players who we know just won't fit in with Mickey's plan. So I'll let you all discuss.

Club boi

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 05, 2018, 11:22:17 PM
I think after the euphoria from the weekend subsides and we sit down and thoroughly assess where we're at, we'll find we are probably as far away as we have been since 2011.

The fact remains that we haven't beaten 1 any of the big teams (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo) since 2009. No team that we have beaten in a knock-out match since 2013 has went on to win the All-Ireland. We are a fair ways behind both Mayo and Kerry. We benefited greatly from both of them having an off year. We were glorified Ulster Champions by virtue of the Super 8. The All Ireland Final was over as a contest after 33mins. I'm by no means a Harte basher but we have to be honest. It's not good enough. Only for a fortuitous Darren Hughes block which resulted in Sludden's goal it was 50/50 whether or not we were going to beat Monaghan. I'm not sure if a management team needs assembled, or if we're simply not good enough but since we lost to Mayo in 2016, everything has been geared towards to the Dubs both fitness wise and system wise, and now twice we have come up short. I detest mentioning him but I listen to Wooly Parkinson but he called it completely right last week, Colly Cav and/or his role was completely negated by the Dubs, so essentially we were 15 v 14 for the whole match. I'm just not sure where we go or what we do from here, if we're not as fit as the Dubs, then do we need a new trainer, if our system is outdated then do we need a new manager? Or is it simply that we don't have the players? I'm sure we will all watch club championship games over the next few months and see classy, strong athletic players who we know just won't fit in with Mickey's plan. So I'll let you all discuss.

Also been saying this

And its now 3 times, in 2 years, Dublin have beaten Tyrone while only in 3rd gear

In hiding

Quote from: Jayop on September 05, 2018, 11:04:18 PM
2nd best team in the country that put up a decent display against what's widely regarded as the best team ever. We're in a good place with a very good young team.
Are you Il bomber destro?

WT4E

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 04, 2018, 12:44:13 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on September 04, 2018, 11:42:23 AM
So who will go from the panel this year. I would say McCarron McCrory R.O'Neill

Why would Ronan O'Neill go?  What age is he?

Always had high hopes for O'neill but think hes just below the required standard.

southtyronegael

Would this be hartes first season without a single trophy to show for the year? I'd say Stevie o Neill will be the first man getting the boot anyway when the backroom team gets 'freshened up'.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: bigtogs on September 05, 2018, 08:47:53 PM
Give all we had on Sunday but was not enough.....We talk about our forwards taking wrong options we conceded 2-17 wont win many game conceding that amount..... Baffles me why our top scorer McAliskey has a full tracking job to do nearly the whole time he is on the field very rarely does this role leave him close to goals...

that's a fair point, was surprised he was taken off so early considering his contribution was significant. All forwards have to track now, look at Mannion on Sunday, last man tackling on a couple of occasions to win back ball, same in omagh, he was also taken off and had made a significant scoring contribution when starting to gas. Dublin have the replacements, we don't have the same, therefore we feel it more in the home straight.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Club boi on September 05, 2018, 11:32:52 PM

Also been saying this

And its now 3 times, in 2 years, Dublin have beaten Tyrone while only in 3rd gear

I would counter that by saying that, with the obvious exception of Dublin who are probably the best team ever, we have beaten whoever has been put infront of us in the last two seasons. I would argue that 2017 and 2018 are the strongest teams Tyrone have had since at least 2010 and it's not their fault that they haven't been drawn against Mayo, Kerry or even Galway this year as I see no reason why we couldn't have beaten any of them and then this wouldn't be a stick that could be used to beat this Tyrone team

southtyronegael

Quote from: WT4E on September 06, 2018, 09:32:36 AM

Always had high hopes for O'neill but think hes just below the required standard.
Ronan o Neill was a star AI winning minor, has 2 o Neill cups. Was man of the match in county final last year I think? There is a huge problem with coaching when this lad isn't making it at county level.

sensethetone

Quote from: WT4E on September 06, 2018, 09:32:36 AM

RON looked good for the super sub impact roll.. come in a muster up a goal late on. Looks like he didn't get his mojo together like a few others in the more recent games.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 06, 2018, 09:44:18 AM

Also been saying this

I would counter that by saying that, with the obvious exception of Dublin who are probably the best team ever, we have beaten whoever has been put infront of us in the last two seasons. I would argue that 2017 and 2018 are the strongest teams Tyrone have had since at least 2010 and it's not their fault that they haven't been drawn against Mayo, Kerry or even Galway this year as I see no reason why we couldn't have beaten any of them and then this wouldn't be a stick that could be used to beat this Tyrone team

I entirely agree, lazy analysis. As things stand, in my view we are a better team than the other teams mentioned in 2018, maybe not until 2017, but  because we haven't played them in 2018 doesn't mean we haven't surpassed them.

tyrone08

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on September 06, 2018, 09:48:50 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 06, 2018, 09:44:18 AM

Also been saying this

I entirely agree, lazy analysis. As things stand, in my view we are a better team than the other teams mentioned in 2018, maybe not until 2017, but  because we haven't played them in 2018 doesn't mean we haven't surpassed them.

I wouldn't call it lazy analysis at all. Monaghan knocked us out in the first game of the championship, the lucky goal we got made it look a bit more respectable. We struggled badly against Meath and should have been knocked out in normal time. Had a few easy games and then almost kicked ourselves out of it against Monaghan in the semi final.

We have played Dublin, Kerry and Mayo numerous times in the last 10 years in either the Quarter finals, Semi finals or Final and we have been well beaten on every single occasion. 

This will continue for at least another 3 years as Harte refuses to change anything. Its as clear as day to every ex Tyrone player, sports writer, TV presenter etc that we need to make changes but I can 100% guarantee that we wont. Harte seems determined to prove everyone wrong by playing the same players with the same set up hoping that they will win. Its utter madness.

Next year Tyrone may win Ulster but with Donegal and Monaghan improving it is looking unlikely. They may get through the Super 8s depending on the group but as soon as they meet Mayo, Dublin or Kerry they will be knocked out. Its ground hog day in Tyrone the past 10 years.