Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on April 02, 2007, 10:05:43 PM
I hate to say I told you so....

That you did Ziggy, an unforgiving bunch here  ;)
Let this fade into obscurity if we don't want or need it, genuinely thought it may have filled a void, no big deal...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 03, 2007, 08:46:44 AM

That you did Ziggy, an unforgiving bunch here  ;)
Let this fade into obscurity if we don't want or need it, genuinely thought it may have filled a void, no big deal...

Perhaps it's time to revive Fear's thread, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to discuss the county team. An interesting few months are ahead with a number of changes on the panel surely? I think we have to look back on the last two seasons as missed opportunities. The Kerry and Cork sides who won the titles were deserving champions but not exceptional and given Tyrone looked on paper at least stronger than 2008 the manner in which they were knocked out is disappointing. The team this year showed (in Ulster at least) the ability to totally shut down the opponent and nullify their threat but unlike previous seasons this seemed to be somewhat at the expense of our own scoring threat. The forward line needs to be looked at and I would like to see somebody given a proper run at CHF to play the role fulfilled by Brian McGuigan in 2003 and 2005 and Colm McCullagh in 2008.

Has anybody heard anything on retirals? It would seem likely we will lose at least a couple of the stalwarts of the past decade. I wonder about Dooher and Ricey and perhaps even some of the class of 97/98.

Similarly though we will hopefully see a few of the 2008 boys coming onto the panel and making a real impact. Peter Harte and Coney are already there and need to kick on over the next few months. The likes of Tierney, McNab and Donnelly will also hopefully get a chance. The 2004 team hasnt provided as many players as we would have hoped but Aidan Cassidy can hopefully stay clear  of injury and nail down his place as he has threatened over the past couple of league seasons. McCaul is another who deserves some good fortune and he might yet establish himself if he stays fit. Is it too late for Mulgrew now? If he stays on the panel I would like to see him given a real run through the McKenna and the league and see if it brings him on. No point in him spending another season on the fringes of it.

A crucial year ahead and if Mickey can get some of the best youngsters through whilst a few of the older experienced heads are still playing we could have a very nice blend.

rrhf

Agreed however the management has made 2 years of making the same misatakes and bluffing about integrating the youth.  The first sign of madness is making the same misatkes and hoping for a different result.  I doubt that Mickey is capable of trusting new players and giving them championship game time until they bed down - Its just in his nature.  He has achieved so much with his own players hes blind to some very pertinent facts about their ability to deliver in Croke Park.  Its totally understandable. 

nrico2006

Quote from: rrhf on October 05, 2010, 08:55:57 AM
Agreed however the management has made 2 years of making the same misatakes and bluffing about integrating the youth.  The first sign of madness is making the same misatkes and hoping for a different result.  I doubt that Mickey is capable of trusting new players and giving them championship game time until they bed down - Its just in his nature.  He has achieved so much with his own players hes blind to some very pertinent facts about their ability to deliver in Croke Park.  Its totally understandable.

Agree 100%.  How do we go forward and change though?  Will MH change his approach or not?  What is the alternatives?

I have been living outside the County for a few years now, therefore I am not completely up to speed with the personnel available within the county.  I suppose what I am getting at is who are the players that could potentially make a difference that currently are not involved?  We need scoring forwards with pace and the right attitude, who are the best in the County coming through?  How good is Daisy McDermott, Gareth Devlin or Kyle Coney?  What about recent Under 21 stars, namely Finbar Magill or Johnny Lafferty?  Whatever happened to underage star Ronan McCrory?

I honestly don't believe for one minute that in Tyrone we do not have a few big men who can field a ball and play a bit too, who are the realistic contenders to help with the midfield issue?  I have heard names mentioned before (i.e. McConville, Rouse, Ronan Lafferty), but what is the general concencus on these and the other contenders?

A general question I have, who is the best talent coming through the underage ranks at the minute?  Apart from the obvious standout minors, are there any real superstars in the making around the county at 16, 17 years of age?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ziggysego

I hear from RTE.ie, Ryan Mellon and Colm McCullagh have quit inter-county football.
Testing Accessibility

gerry

Just seen that, can not see mccullagh changing his mind again.  More to follow i guess.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tyrones own

Quote from: ziggysego on November 19, 2010, 12:51:16 PM
I hear from RTE.ie, Ryan Mellon and Colm McCullagh have quit inter-county football.
Sure didn't I tell ye that 6 weeks ago  :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ziggysego

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 25, 2010, 01:37:51 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 19, 2010, 12:51:16 PM
Sure didn't I tell ye that 6 weeks ago  :-\

You guessed just :p
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

From the hoganstand.com:

Brian Dooher will captain Tyrone for an eighth consecutive year in 2011.

Manager Mickey Harte has confirmed that the Clan na nGael clubman will retain the role next season, despite the fact that he will be 36 by time the championship is over. Dooher has been Tyrone's most successful captain ever, skippering them to All-Ireland titles in 2005 and '08. He also captained them to an Ulster championship in the season just past.

"Brian has been one of the greatest servants this county has had," Harte said.

Dooher will miss the Dr McKenna Cup in January but is expected to return during the National League campaign.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blewuporstuffed

what date is the tyrone  v monaghan game?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rocky Mc Guigan

Celt_Man

Lads, looking for directions to Castlederg GAA pitch.  If word on the street is correct, the local school are playing up there tomorrow afternoon so want to know where I'm going!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 28, 2011, 03:32:29 PM
Lads, looking for directions to Castlederg GAA pitch.  If word on the street is correct, the local school are playing up there tomorrow afternoon so want to know where I'm going!!

Do you know how to get to Castlederg?

The pitch is just outside the town centre. The town is fairly small so you'll have little bother finding it. There are really 3 roads in, the Castlegore Rd, Drumquin rd or the Strabane rd depending on what way you make your way North.

Once you're in the Derg you'll have little bother finding the pitch. Basically go through the town centre/ diamond and head for the Killeter Rd, and it's about 100 yards out there behind some houses. I think the houses have a sign outside saying 'Ashburn Park'.

http://maps.google.com/maps?&daddr=(54.707378,%20-7.598922)&z=9

Any questions or problems gimme a shout. You can get it on google street view as well.

Edit: I think red card is right. It's the turn in before Ashburn Park.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone