Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 29, 2007, 11:35:22 AM
Pehaps you should ring her house....when she comes on the phone....ask her is bro in law there as you want to thank him for gift. If she panics, or stalls you will know that he doesn't know.

Or perhaps best leave it, and try and keep as close a relationship as you can with her, and hope she comes to her senses soon.

I think it's best to leave it, if I rang up she'd know what I was up to as it's not very me. 

Seriously, not wishing to sound like Miriam- but a little communication wouldnt go amiss between you and your sister. At least figuring out where you stand with her instead of idle speculation and sensationalism. Some of the eejitry on here is taking what could be a simple misunderstanding to extremes with talk of domestic violence and so on. Blood is ultimately thicker than water and life is too short. Throw a few more cliches in there and we are good to go. Give her a ring, take her out for lunch and have a good chin wag.

That's not really me. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

US worker survives 47 story fall

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7172647.stm

US worker survives 47-storey fall 

An inquiry into the accident at the building in E 66 St is under way

Wife's reaction 
A New York window cleaner who survived a 47-storey fall from a skyscraper last month is making a gradual recovery - in what doctors say is a "miracle".
Alcides Moreno, 37, tumbled some 500ft (150m) to the ground in a scaffolding accident that killed his brother.

Mr Moreno suffered severe brain, spine and abdomen injuries and both his legs, his right arm and ribs were broken.

But after undergoing a series of surgeries he is now awake, able to talk and is expected to walk again.

"If you are a believer in miracles, this would be one," Dr Philip Barie, a surgeon at New York's Presbyterian Hospital where Mr Moreno is being treated, was quoted as saying by the New York Times newspaper.

"Above 10 floors, most of the time we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue... this is right up there with those anecdotes of people falling out of airplanes and surviving," Dr Barie said.

'What did I do?'

Mr Moreno, an immigrant from Ecuador, plummeted from the Manhattan skyscraper on 7 December, when a platform on which he was working came loose. His younger brother died instantly in the fall.

An investigation into the cause of the accident is under way.

Immediately after the accident Mr Moreno received 24 units of blood and several units of blood plasma. Nine operations followed to stitch together his broken body.

But now doctors say that now Mr Moreno has movement in all his limbs and is able to talk.

His wife, Rosario, said that one day he even reached out and stroked the face of one of the nurses.

"I looked at him and said, 'You're not supposed to do that. I'm your wife, you touch your wife'," Mrs Moreno was quoted by the New York Times as saying.

She said his answer was: "What did I do?"

Dr Barie said that "although there is more work to be done, we are very optimistic for his prospects for survival".

Mr Moreno still has to undergo several surgeries in the coming weeks.

The medical team, however, warns that there is still a chance he could develop serious complications.

Puckoon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7176333.stm

Mexico boy tries to stick at home
A Mexican boy glued his hand to his bed because he did not want to go back to school after the Christmas break.
"The holidays were such fun," Diego Palacios, 10, who lives outside Monterrey, told Reforma newspaper.

His mother Sandra found him watching television with his hand stuck to the bedstead. "I don't know why he did it," she said. "He is a good boy."

Police and paramedics eventually managed to free him unharmed, and he was only a few hours late for school.

Diego had got up early to fetch some industrial-strength glue from the kitchen.

His mother spent two hours trying to free him with nail-polish remover before calling for expert help.

Diego watched cartoons while paramedics dissolved the glue with a spray.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/7176333.stm

Published: 2008/01/08 09:31:08 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

stephenite

What the F#$k are you doing here?

A Polish man got the shock of his life when he visited a brothel and spotted his wife among the establishment's employees.

Polish tabloid Super Express said the woman had been making some extra money on the side while telling her husband she worked at a store in a nearby town.

"I was dumfounded. I thought I was dreaming," the husband told the newspaper.

The couple, married for 14 years, are now divorcing, the newspaper reported.

Reuters

stephenite

A Russian man has been charged with killing two friends with an axe after he walked in on them cutting up his pet dog for food at his home in eastern Siberia, local prosecutors said today.

Alexander Yermilov, 40, "caught two friends with the body of his beloved dog, which they had cut up for meat" when he returned to his home one evening in December, the prosecutor's office in the town of Chita said in a statement.

"Flying into a rage, the dog's owner grabbed an axe from the floor and began to strike his uninvited guests on the head," the statement said.

Yermilov then called the police to explain what had happened. He has been charged with two counts of murder and is in police custody, the statement said.

AFP

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

full back

Not so much what the fcuk, more holy fcuk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm

Airliner crash lands at Heathrow 

The BA flight crash-landed at Heathrow Airport

Enlarge Image

An international passenger plane has crash landed short of the runway at Heathrow Airport.
Passengers escaped down the emergency chutes after British Airways flight BA38 from Beijing came down.

Six ambulances were sent to the scene and three people were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The incident happened as Prime Minister Gordon Brown was due to leave Heathrow for China and India. His flight was delayed because of the incident.

The south runway is closed while investigators examine the scene - the north runway remains open.

On its approach it took the runway too low, just missing the roof of my cab

John Rowland, eyewitness

Eyewitness John Rowland said: "The plane's wheels collapsed, doors were flown open.

"On its approach it took the runway too low, just missing the roof of my cab.

"It crashed into the runway, debris was flying everywhere, there was an enormous bang and it skidded sideways."

Huge amount of smoke

Another eyewitness, Nick Gray, told BBC News: "We were taxiing along ready to take off and certainly out of the window I could see a plane coming in to land.

"I'm not quite sure if the under carriage was missing or not, but certainly what we saw was the plane coming down.

"There were some sparks as the undercarriage or the bottom of the plane actually touched the runway - certainly a huge amount of smoke coming up from that.

"And then the plane did come to a halt reasonably quickly.

"It was incredibly efficient the speed that people got off the aircraft.

"I could see that the chutes were deployed very quickly and people were coming down on that.

"Then people were sent off to the nearby buildings which are probably only about 200 yards away from the plane.

"There about six fire engines there now.

"There seems to have been regular dousing of foam on the port engine which obviously probably was the hottest one where the plane landed.

"Certainly there is a lot of activity and lots of vehicles with flashing lights all around the plane."

Square Ball

From The Irish News

ONE man has been charged with dangerous driving and assault on police after an officer was dragged along a road by a suspect car on the outskirts of west Belfast.

It happened shortly after 12.30am yesterday when police attempted to stop a black Vauxhall Vectra on the Bellsteele Road near Lisburn.

The 47-year-old man is expected to appear at Lisburn Magistrate's Court on February 11. Police are believed to be seeking another man believed to have been in the car at the time.

"The car made contact with an officer who sustained an injury to his wrist," a police spokeswoman said.

"Another officer then attempted to open the door of the vehicle but the car drove on, trapping the

officer's arm in the door and dragging him along the road for approximately 15 metres."

Both officers are understood to have sustained minor injuries but did not have to attend hospital.

The vehicle was stopped a short time later on Stewartstown Road where the driver was arrested but, according to police, the passenger fled the scene.

Two children, believed to be under 10 years of age, were also in the car at the time but were uninjured.

What the hell was this guy thinking about? he put these childrens lives at risk

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

Quote from: Square Ball on January 19, 2008, 12:40:33 PM
From The Irish News

ONE man has been charged with dangerous driving and assault on police after an officer was dragged along a road by a suspect car on the outskirts of west Belfast.

It happened shortly after 12.30am yesterday when police attempted to stop a black Vauxhall Vectra on the Bellsteele Road near Lisburn.

The 47-year-old man is expected to appear at Lisburn Magistrate's Court on February 11. Police are believed to be seeking another man believed to have been in the car at the time.

"The car made contact with an officer who sustained an injury to his wrist," a police spokeswoman said.

"Another officer then attempted to open the door of the vehicle but the car drove on, trapping the

officer's arm in the door and dragging him along the road for approximately 15 metres."

Both officers are understood to have sustained minor injuries but did not have to attend hospital.

The vehicle was stopped a short time later on Stewartstown Road where the driver was arrested but, according to police, the passenger fled the scene.

Two children, believed to be under 10 years of age, were also in the car at the time but were uninjured.

What the hell was this guy thinking about? he put these childrens lives at risk

he wasnt, he should get publically flogged and then do a ten stretch the cnut.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

I am waiting to hear about the PSNI being branded "heavy handed" from the Shinners, the fella sounds like a great role model for the children.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

QuoteA story based on the Three Little Pigs has been turned down from a government agency's annual awards because the subject matter could offend Muslims.

The digital book, re-telling the classic fairy tale, was rejected by judges who warned that "the use of pigs raises cultural issues".

The awards which rejected the book are run by Becta, the government's educational technology agency.

The judging panel also attacked the book's stereotyping of builders.

The book's creative director, Anne Curtis, said that the idea that including pigs in a story could be interpreted as racism was "like a slap in the face".

'Cultural issues'

The CD-Rom digital version of the traditional story of the three little pigs, called Three Little Cowboy Builders, is aimed at primary school children.

But judges at this year's Bett Award said that they had "concerns about the Asian community and the use of pigs raises cultural issues".

The Three Little Cowboy Builders has already been a prize winner at the recent Education Resource Award - but its Newcastle-based publishers, Shoo-fly were turned down by the Bett Award panel, run the government's technology agency.

The feedback from the judges explaining why they had rejected the CD-Rom highlighted that they "could not recommend this product to the Muslim community".

They also warned that the story might "alienate parts of the workforce (building trade)".

The judges criticised the stereotyping in the story of the unfortunate pigs: "Is it true that all builders are cowboys, builders get their work blown down, and builders are like pigs?"

Animal Farm?

Ms Price said that rather than preventing the spread of racism, such an attitude was likely to inflame ill-feeling. As another example, she says would that mean that secondary schools could not teach Animal Farm because it features pigs?

Her company is committed to an ethical approach to business and its products promote a message of mutual respect, she says - and banning such traditional stories will "close minds rather than open them".

Becta, the government funded agency responsible for technology in schools and colleges, says that it is standing by the judges' verdict.

"Becta with its partners is responsible for the judging criteria against which the 70 independent judges, mostly practising teachers, comment. All the partners stick by the judging criteria," said a Becta spokesman.

Merlin John, author of an educational technology website which highlighted the story, warns that such rulings can undermine the credibility of the awards.

"When benchmarks are undermined by pedestrian and pedantic tick lists, and by inflexible, unhelpful processes, it can tarnish the achievements of even the most worthy winners.

"It's time for a rethink, and for Becta to listen to the criticisms that have been ignored for a number of years," said Mr John.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7204635.stm

PC gone mad!

Testing Accessibility

oiddas