Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 24, 2007, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 24, 2007, 10:00:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 24, 2007, 09:52:35 AM
I believe Paul played at underage for the Harps before taking the soup.

Heard that alright Benny. Imagine if we had him and hoolie late 80s early 90s. They would have took some beating.
Why would they have had houlie?

I could swear grimley said in an interview I read that he didn't take up football until his teenage years and went to the ogs because all his mates played for them.

tradionally Pints the Ogs players were drawn from the other side of the city, i.e the area from the shambles towards the athletic grounds. Harps the other side and particularly around Banbrook, Drumbreda and Longstone which are all towards the north of the town (moy road end) although there were exceptions like the posh lads from the folly and that ;)
Hoolie lived and grew up in Drumbreda not a good boot of a ball from my old house and from Abbey Park but for whatever reason ( i believe his father is Ogs through and through) he opted to play for them. Had the harps had hoolie and big paul grimley in those days they would have taken some stopping.

bennydorano

From what i had heard, Paul couldn't get a game with the Harps at (neither Mark or John made any impact until minor as well) so he joined the Ogs.

Houlie's da is an avid Ogs man allright, but he played for both the Harps and Ogs, and I'm nearly certain that he told me the last game that he ever played as a goalie was for the Harps.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: maddog on August 24, 2007, 12:37:07 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 24, 2007, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 24, 2007, 10:00:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 24, 2007, 09:52:35 AM
I believe Paul played at underage for the Harps before taking the soup.

Heard that alright Benny. Imagine if we had him and hoolie late 80s early 90s. They would have took some beating.
Why would they have had houlie?

I could swear grimley said in an interview I read that he didn't take up football until his teenage years and went to the ogs because all his mates played for them.

tradionally Pints the Ogs players were drawn from the other side of the city, i.e the area from the shambles towards the athletic grounds. Harps the other side and particularly around Banbrook, Drumbreda and Longstone which are all towards the north of the town (moy road end) although there were exceptions like the posh lads from the folly and that ;)
Hoolie lived and grew up in Drumbreda not a good boot of a ball from my old house and from Abbey Park but for whatever reason ( i believe his father is Ogs through and through) he opted to play for them. Had the harps had hoolie and big paul grimley in those days they would have taken some stopping.

Alright Maddog I'll give it to you, yous were unlucky not to have the pair. 

It's funny how things work out and I'd imagine there was some craic in the Grimley house at times...

Houlie's da is an avid Ogs man allright, but he played for both the Harps and Ogs, and I'm nearly certain that he told me the last game that he ever played as a goalie was for the Harps.
Didn't he play for the county as well, back in the day! or am I making that up?

I'd say TYP is old enough to remember....
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 24, 2007, 08:59:40 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 24, 2007, 12:37:07 PM

A few others come to mind, what about the Gordons and McAleavey from Desert Lane, Cullens from Banbrook in 80's?

BTW didn't that being from the Folly made you posh, I thought you had to be from Ashley or the Newry Road.

Alright lads, this is all getting a bit close for comfort.     :-\

Gerard Houlie always described himself as a Pearse Og player and a Harps supporter. Houlie grew up in our end of the City alright, and his mates would all have been Harps, i.e. Barry Ryan, the McCoys, Dizz, Jack O'Hare etc. Indeed, when there was a darts league running in the City in the late eighties, Houlie threw for the Harps.

Good call by the way POG on Joe H, or 'The Cat' as he prefers to be known! He did indeed play for the County - or at least that is what he tells me!!   ;D 

john mcgill

pintsofguinness

Are you posh rufus?

Come to think of it...I remember someone (goes by the name of a food) telling me that you were really an ogs man  ;D

say nothin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 25, 2007, 02:23:16 PM
Are you posh rufus?

Come to think of it...I remember someone (goes by the name of a food) telling me that you were really an ogs man  ;D

And this was'nt me rufus ;)

say nothin

Joe 'The Cat' indeed played for the county minors that won the 1961 ulster minor c'ship

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 25, 2007, 02:23:16 PM
Are you posh rufus?

Now don't be at it Pints!   ;D

I did indeed grow up in the Newry Road area - but no way was I posh. Just ask our gardener or chauffer - either of them will tell you!

And as for being an Ogs man!?!   :o

stew

Joe Houlie did play for Armagh and he also played for the Harps and then went to the Ogs where his two sons played football even though they grew up beside Abbey Park.

Gerard played both darts and snooker for the Harps and he was very friedly with the McCoys and Finbar Ryan and a host of other harps heads and Gerard has a lot of time for the harps unlike that Ogs bigot paul, his brother who begrudges the Harps every win the fecker.

As for pog spoofing on Rufus T being an Ogs man......................... I would never say something like that about a Harps legend like Rufus. ;D

paul houlie is meeting me in florida for a holiday in November and he will be bringing tapes of the County Finals the Ogs and Harps played in during the eighties and nineties and I will be getting them converted onto DVD although there is one horror finale where the ogs scored about five points and bate us.....................That sucked and i probably wont watch that one, me aul mate Flea McCoy couldnt shoot straight if his life depended on it that day even though he played rightly but I doubt I will want to relive that final.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

QuoteAs for pog spoofing on Rufus T being an Ogs man......................... I would never say something like that about a Harps legend like Rufus.
You told me rufus went to the harps because he wouldnt have got a game with the ogs.

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 27, 2007, 04:34:22 PM
QuoteAs for pog spoofing on Rufus T being an Ogs man......................... I would never say something like that about a Harps legend like Rufus.
You told me rufus went to the Harps because he wouldnt have got a game with the ogs.

Pog don't be at it ya hoor ya! I said no such thing.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

billy the kid

there is a posh part of armagh?? :o :o :o

what have they got -  a toilet and electricity!!! LOL ;D ;D ;D
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

john mcgill

To get back to the title of this thread, am I alone in thinking that the County Board is taking far too long to announce the new manager?  The rumours in Armagh have been flamed by the lack of declaring a decision.