Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I don't think they'll do Joe for that - but I don't think he'd mind anyway - now if it were some other manager from a smaller county, they might be in trouble - I'd be surprised if they threw the book at him cos after all Joe was right - and the GAA know he's right which is worse !

Armamike

Who's to say he's undecided? I can't recall him quoted at any stage saying that he planned to quit this year.  The media did, but not Joe himself. The feeling among supporters seems to be for Paul Grimley to take over.  But if it came down  to a straight choice between Joe and  John Rafferty how many would still want him to go? I'd suspect most in that case would prefer Joe to stay, despite the concerns about his ideas and team selection.  The same voice syndrome that people are talking about wouldn't really be an issue if the senior players decide to quit - he would then be dealing with a lot of players who've only been around the panel a couple of years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

SouthArmaghBandit

I'm convinced Joe will stay. There's no way he wants to go out after the 2 games we've had this year. Robbed by Donegal and a dodgy referring decision. He'll want another year to put his reputation back together and the County Board will give him it. If that happens we need Grimley working along side him with a view to taking over in a years time.

Uladh

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on July 18, 2007, 10:24:11 AM
I'm convinced Joe will stay. There's no way he wants to go out after the 2 games we've had this year. Robbed by Donegal and a dodgy referring decision. He'll want another year to put his reputation back together and the County Board will give him it. If that happens we need Grimley working along side him with a view to taking over in a years time.

Or ruin his reputation to outsiders completely. from what i hear he has absolutely no credability left among the players anyway.

Hell would have to freeze over for those two to work together. there would need to be bouncers (big ones) in any room they were likely to be in at the same time....

SouthArmaghBandit

They'll have to do it for the good of the county! Personally I think Joe should go now but I know he won't and the Board won't push him so we have to deal with reality.

Orchard Warrior

To be competitive, any team needs to have their best players on the park. Sligo are a good example this year. This nonsense of cutting 5 or 6 of your best players to "give youth a chance" is utterly misguided. if the the younger players are good enough, they will force their way onto the team. Armagh's best players in Ballyboffey? McNulty, Mallon, McKeever, McGeeney, McGrane and Marsden. Best Players in Clones? McNulty, McGeeney & O'Rourke. i don't care what their ages are.

The wort possible thing to do with a group of young players is throw them in together and allow them to sink into the habit of losing. young players need to earn their place on the squad through the quality of their football and their application to the work required to make it. then they need to tae county football by the scruff of the neck and demand to be on the team through consistent peformance against county footballers. that is how top quality intercounty footballers emerge.

Armagh have already had their fingers burned by giving soft passage first onto the panel and then onto the team to players who have not maybe could never earn it in their own right. McKeever is a perfect example. Not a massively talented footballer from an unfashionable club. he earned his place on the senior panl through fantastic performances with the county u21s, where he also earned the captaincy amongst a host of talented footballers. he came onto the senior panel the rawest of rough diamonds and faced down obstruction and criticism from management. he worked meticulously on his game and two years later became a fixture on the team and probably Armagh's best all round defender.

this has not been the route of every player onto the team. by the same token, other younger players have wilted at the prospect of having to earn their promotion and drifted into mediocrity after losing confidence. those players probably will never have the mental fortitude to be top drawer county footballers. talent is all well and good but at that level, everyone has talent. 90% of the game now is in each players head.

Uladh

I can only think of one player who has had a very easy passage onto the team, although there are a lot of grumblings about the merit of a few others on the panel. i'd also argue that Joe has brought a couple of other younger players into the team befor they're ready to be seen to be "rebulding". that has caused friction in the panel and probably lost a couple of players through demotivation.

goldenyears

orchard warrior, thats the best post i have read in a long time, and has huge resonance in the down set up over the last 10 yrs too!

magickingdom

why isn't this discussion in the 'regular' gaa section? its not a local gaa mater and is of interest to everyone. i hope joe stays btw...

Armamike

OW all those players you mention performed well over the 2 games.  There were others however in the half forward and full forward lines who didn't and it begs the question why weren't a few of the guys on the bench (who happen to be quite young yes) given a chance to prove their worth in the heat of championship?  I'm thinking particularly of guys like Vernon and Forker. These lads did very well for the u21s this year and Vernon was probably MOTM in the Harps championship game with Cross. Armagh weren't exactly overflowing with scoring options this year, or last year for that matter either.  The only reason i can think of not introducing them, even for 15 mins, was based on how they were doing in training. Only someone connected to the team would be able to answer that one. From the outside looking in though it just looks very strange. IMO this year was a wasted opportunity to give a couple of these guys a taste of championship action.    
That's just, like your opinion man.

Uladh

I hate to have to break it to you but armagh is local in a national context

sizzler

I'm surprised nobody on this thread is mentioning the rumour that Big Joe and McGeeney aren't on speaking terms and haven't been for some time.

I work in Armagh and at least 3 different Armagh supporters have told me that.

Surely one of them will have to go.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI'm thinking particularly of guys like Vernon and Forker.

It's hard to know.  Forker was good for the u21s but was poor when given his chance with the seniors.  Vernon, although he'd be better than Kernan and P McKeever, I've never seen him live up to the reputation he's got himself.  The same with Toal.  (Granted I havent seen as much of either as some here).  And we're getting desperate when we're suggesting playing someone at corner forward because he doesn't have the workrate for half forward!

Quotewhy isn't this discussion in the 'regular' gaa section? its not a local gaa mater and is of interest to everyone. i hope joe stays btw...
I'm sure you do. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?