Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on November 20, 2007, 01:35:55 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 20, 2007, 01:33:15 AM
Quote from: stew on November 19, 2007, 07:50:11 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 19, 2007, 07:06:32 PM
theres always one, or two

Saturday night there, I was at a hooley when a few people from work walked in including one of the managers, about an hour later I see him groping the breasts of one of the girls in full view of the rest of the staff, he was working on the outside of the clothes. I was rightly on and anyway I told him to stop, he feckin kept going and I walked out.
I am meeting him in an hour to talk to him about it, he has no idea this conversation is going to take place but that was my latest what the fcuk moment.

I am supposed to sack him on the spot, this girl reports to him and everybody seen me there at the time and they even have video of it on their cellphones. If I say nothing and it gets out I will be sacked as well, the hoor has put in me in a bad spot. >:(

You warned him Stew. Protect your own ass now. Better him losing his job than you given that he was in the wrong.

I know but the guy is a married man with kids, he was an excellent leader and I just signed off on him to apply for a promotion, he will never see the weekend now and that is a shame, I wont sleep a wink the night. :(

If he is a married man with kids, what the hell was he doing groping one of his subordinates breasts?

Its obviously a bad situation, but you owe it to yourself and your family to do the right thing.

Puckoon

Brutal. Sometimes when a mans back is to the wall, especially when hes married with kids, he will deny everything. Its shameful, but it must be human nature, because Ive seen it happen time and time again.

Stew, Ive sacked one person in my life, and it was a meaningless part time job - still feel awful about it. How can you have sacked 24 and be so bothered about this one? The guy was obviously in the wrong to begin with, and instead of asking for leniancy, hes called you a liar. In the different animal that is america, I guess id have to easily let him go. Im like yourself in giving people the benefit of the doubt, but if someone tries to fcuk me, its them that had better have their ducks in a row.

BTW, how did you ever get caught buying something for a tyrone man? Did you float down the blackwater in a bubble? ;) I tell you what, If I ever want something from wisconsin, Ill pay you double, and upfront. Just to restore the good name of Tir Eoighan.

Not a big fan of confrontation so I can understand you apprehension, but you didnt bring this on yourself. You cant punish yourself for someone elses sins. Have a drink and get some rest. Youve done/are doing the right thing.

umgolaarmagh

Stew - read the One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard

that might give you a few tips

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on November 20, 2007, 02:08:52 AM
Brutal. Sometimes when a mans back is to the wall, especially when hes married with kids, he will deny everything. Its shameful, but it must be human nature, because Ive seen it happen time and time again.

Stew, Ive sacked one person in my life, and it was a meaningless part time job - still feel awful about it. How can you have sacked 24 and be so bothered about this one? The guy was obviously in the wrong to begin with, and instead of asking for leniancy, hes called you a liar. In the different animal that is america, I guess id have to easily let him go. Im like yourself in giving people the benefit of the doubt, but if someone tries to fcuk me, its them that had better have their ducks in a row.

BTW, how did you ever get caught buying something for a tyrone man? Did you float down the blackwater in a bubble? ;) I tell you what, If I ever want something from wisconsin, Ill pay you double, and upfront. Just to restore the good name of Tir Eoighan.

Not a big fan of confrontation so I can understand you apprehension, but you didnt bring this on yourself. You cant punish yourself for someone elses sins. Have a drink and get some rest. Youve done/are doing the right thing.

I am bothered about most of them, some people made silly mistakes that did them in and some were cnuts that deserved, the latter never troubled me, the good people do but again it was their fault and it comes with the job. I have 124 employees to worry about. As I said earlier me and yer man got on well, he has a family and I feel for all of them there as i know them personally but he basically called me a liar and I am going to hammer him and indeed already have. when i get back from Holidays he will be gone, some people will be angry but they all know that I did what I had to do.

As for yer man being from tyrone and screwing me, ach shure it was only about a hundred odd dollars, nothing to worry about but it makes you annoyed when you had to drive 60 mile to pick it up and 60 mile back and then to go to the bother of posting the feckin stuff. You live and learn I suppose. :-\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on November 20, 2007, 04:00:51 AM
Stew - read the One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard

that might give you a few tips

Read it multiple times sir but thanks.

Nah. I have done what i needed to do. I am off to Florida and then Oklahoma and when I get back this wioll be done with. :)

stephenite

People who get sacked - generally deserve it. There are plenty of laws in place to protect people from getting the boot for no reason. That's how I rationalise it when someone gets the flick on my team

stew

Quote from: stephenite on November 20, 2007, 04:16:38 AM
People who get sacked - generally deserve it. There are plenty of laws in place to protect people from getting the boot for no reason. That's how I rationalise it when someone gets the flick on my team

That true Stephenite but it is tough taking away someones means of making a living. This man I am dealing with is going to ask for proof and he will still deny it when I show him the video, I have it captured on my phone now and it has been forwarded on to those who will give me the green light to clip him. I have no sympathy for him after he jobbed me for no reason. he is fecked and he doesnt even know it yet. I think he was gambling on the staff not giving him up but they did. I am still in the feckin office working on this and I am an hour from home and have a flight out early in the morning but I will have all my ducks in a row before I leave.

a glass of wine is on the cards and then some sleep. tomorrow will be a better day. ;D

stephenite

'Tis tough - but considering he tired to deny it in the face of overwhelming proof, well I'd find it hard to have sympathy for him. If, when confronted with it, he admitted it blamed it on the booze, apologised to everyone then I'd do everything I could to save his ass (official warning etc.) but he cooked his own goose - your hands were obviously tied.

stew

Quote from: stephenite on November 20, 2007, 04:31:41 AM
'Tis tough - but considering he tired to deny it in the face of overwhelming proof, well I'd find it hard to have sympathy for him. If, when confronted with it, he admitted it blamed it on the booze, apologised to everyone then I'd do everything I could to save his ass (official warning etc.) but he cooked his own goose - your hands were obviously tied.

I gave him an opportunity to retract what he had said and he refused, I also told him that I considered it an insult that he would try to say I was lying, to this he merely said that it was just my perception that was wrong and that maybe someone else did it but I thought it was him. I told him that I saw what I saw and that again he was insulting me and that he should admit to the wrongdoing, he didnt have it in him and so i asked him to leave and told him what i was going to do, at this point he said good luck getting the video evidence and he walked out.

I interviewed some of those that were there and one girl offered me the video I needed and said that she thought it was a disgrace and that she expected more of her leader and that I was right to be investigating the thing. Case closed.

heganboy

Vindicated stew? Enjoy yer glass o' red.
Usually in our place people are given every opp to prove they can do the work and the benefit of the doubt even if they can't, takes a lot to actually get fired. If that guy had done that in our company under ny law, he would be fired, sued and up on charges...
Safe flight.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

man in black

Quote from: stew on November 20, 2007, 04:38:10 AM
Quote from: stephenite on November 20, 2007, 04:31:41 AM

I gave him an opportunity to retract what he had said and he refused, I also told him that I considered it an insult that he would try to say I was lying, to this he merely said that it was just my perception that was wrong and that maybe someone else did it but I thought it was him. I told him that I saw what I saw and that again he was insulting me and that he should admit to the wrongdoing, he didnt have it in him and so i asked him to leave and told him what i was going to do, at this point he said good luck getting the video evidence and he walked out.

I interviewed some of those that were there and one girl offered me the video I needed and said that she thought it was a disgrace and that she expected more of her leader and that I was right to be investigating the thing. Case closed.

Good crack in the jaw the hoor wanted.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

maddog

Hang on a second, if she was a willing partner in all this is she not as culpable of inappropriate behaviour?

Hardy

I can't see that you have a leg to stand on if he denies it, there are no witnesses and, most important of all, SHE denies it or is unwilling to complain. In fact, I'd venture that if it's a social gathering and not what could be considered a company occasion it's none of your business, technically, and indeed you've gone above and beyond what might be expected of a disinterested bystander (which is what I'd class you as, in this situation), by doing the decent thing and trying to intervene. But if the woman is not bothered ...

I'd support the suggestion that you look for guidance from HR as to whether you have a role at all in this case. This is their department. "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer from them. If they say "yes", then surely they will brief you on the procedure to follow. If they say "no", then you can't go any further and if you do, yer man will have you for harassment.

But I'm no expert in these things and nothing about American laws in this field would surprise me.

theskull1

He has video from a phone of him doing it...case closed
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

I missed that bit. But is that conclusive, if everybody else there denies it happened? How good is the video quality and what happens if everybody there says "That's not me - and that's not John, etc."? It seems yer man has his witnesses lined up. At this stage they were all probably at his house playing poker at the relevant time.