Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The comment was fairly made that they were wearing black armbands to commemorate an explosion in a shop while chanting about an organisation that blew up dozens of shops. 
There was no need for it, there are plenty of tuneless chants like Ole Ole, Championes etc or sing about the Sisters doing it for themselves. You can hear it on the video, one or two irresponsible individuals started this and the rest just flowed along, most of the others would not have started this. Those people are more to blame as is the person that posted this on the Internet given the row it would inevitably cause.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Even SF have moved on. The whole point of Mary Lou who wasn't in the H blocks and had nothing to do with the struggle is to bullet proof the party from the kind of media storm that hit the FAI on Wednesday morning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Who cares, move on, good luck to the team in Oz/NZ

weareros

What surprises me is that young Gen Z  women even know the song. I was going to parties in late 80s/90s and never once heard that song. I think I first heard at a wedding early 2000s.The Wolfe Tones were considered old foggies back then who made a living butchering Irish ballads. The Dubliners, Christy Moore and Chieftains had a cool factor, as did other folk bands - but the Wolfe Tones were in a different category even though they got lots of exposure at events like Siamsa Cois Lee. As I said on other thread - Warfield is a bit cheeky claiming songwriting credit for the riff. It was ripped from black artists. Wouldn't be first old white men to do that. But it's blown out of proportion. It's a song in public domain. It was played in background in dressing room when adrenaline was high. Like a wedding you'll have everyone lepping about when the song comes on. And frankly poppy fascism is a lot worse given it celebrates an army that actually murdered footballers in Croke Park, mowed down innocent civil rights marchers in Derry, wiped out innocents in Ballymurphy, and a list that goes on and on in Ireland and other poor creatures around the world.

tbrick18

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 14, 2022, 12:22:15 PM
https://twitter.com/McHenryJames/status/1580317296803057664

100% right.
It's frustrating and angering to be honest.

Realistically if it wasn't for the exploits IRA/IRB of the 1916/1921 era there might not even be a ROI football team, so why wouldn't they celebrate them.

But t's complex.

For many, north and south the IRA are seen as heroes and not terrorists.
Likewise, many perceive the British establishment and forces as terrorists.
Both sides committed terrible acts, so why should those who see the IRA as heroes diminish their feelings and ability to express that as it will offend others with a different viewpoint?
Will the British stop wearing poppies to celebrate the activities of their fallen heroes in Ireland and elsewhere? That is offensive to some.
What about the flying of Para Regiment flags in Derry and other places where they shamelessly murdered innocent Irish catholics?  Just because the British Army were part of the establishment doesn't mean they are not terrorists. Or at least terrorised one section of a community.
Open support of UVF/UDA during marching season with bands flying paramilitary flags in nationalist areas?

Either we have the ability to express our beliefs or we dont, but the precedent must apply to all and so I think it's a bit rich for Sky Sports and others to be making such a fuss about this without applying equal scrutiny to everything else.

AustinPowers

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 14, 2022, 12:45:31 PM

100% right.

Realistically if it wasn't for the exploits IRA/IRB of the 1916/1921 era there might not even be a ROI football team, so why wouldn't they celebrate them.

But t's complex.

Both sides committed terrible acts, so why should those who see the IRA as heroes diminish their feelings and ability to express that as it will offend others with a different viewpoint?
Will the British stop wearing poppies to celebrate the activities of their fallen heroes in Ireland and elsewhere? That is offensive to some.
What about the flying of Para Regiment flags in Derry and other places where they shamelessly murdered innocent Irish catholics?  Just because the British Army were part of the establishment doesn't mean they are not terrorists. Or at least terrorised one section of a community.
Open support of UVF/UDA during marching season with bands flying paramilitary flags in nationalist areas?

Either we have the ability to express our beliefs or we dont, but the precedent must apply to all and so I think it's a bit rich for Sky Sports and others to be making such a fuss about this without applying equal scrutiny to everything else.

That's  it

The thing is , those in Britain (and northern unionist s) are ignorant  of  the behaviour of the British army, re Bloody Sunday , ballymurphy, and abroad in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kenya etc...  they have the opinion that their lads are doing such a great job , and that those other fellas are the terrorists .  You see that narrative played out every Nov when the annual poppy fascism takes hold.

Many Brits can't Understand why someone wouldn't support/wear a poppy . Then again part of that comes  from being brainwashed by the establishment/media , and the inability to  think for themselves

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 14, 2022, 01:33:03 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on October 14, 2022, 12:45:31 PM

100% right.

But t's complex.

That's  it

The thing is , those in Britain (and northern unionist s) are ignorant  of  the behaviour of the British army, re Bloody Sunday , ballymurphy, and abroad in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kenya etc...  they have the opinion that their lads are doing such a great job , and that those other fellas are the terrorists .  You see that narrative played out every Nov when the annual poppy fascism takes hold.

Many Brits can't Understand why someone wouldn't support/wear a poppy . Then again part of that comes  from being brainwashed by the establishment/media , and the inability to  think for themselves

As crazy as it sounds but people over here are easily brainwashed also! I know, madness but there ya go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

I am certainly no IRA apologist. My thoughts.

They were stupid. But that's it. The reaction from media and politicians is ridiculous. Talk about a pile on. Carla Blackheart seems to be a cheerleader for this shite.

The song if f**king ket as well!

charlieTully

I mind doing strictly for the local club a few years back. We were waiting to make our grand entrance and someone started an impromptu celtic symphony, have to say it was mighty, everyone joined in, made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. See Carla writing to soccer clubs across the water demanding sackings.

imtommygunn

The first sacking should be made should be Carla. Vile individual.

Yes trailer fully agreed. Stupid but some excuse to pile on.

It's this auld shite that the unionist / loyalist culture is demonised and the nationalist culture isn't that I think some of those die hards ones say that much they now actually believe then they try to make a huge deal of it because they're so persecuted. (They equals the die hard arsehole ones - most are fine but the amplified minority as usual).

HiMucker

Should "Rule britannia" be viewed as equally offensive, and have the English rugger buggers pulled over the coals the next time they sing that? Plus its a shit song

illdecide

Quote from: HiMucker on October 14, 2022, 03:11:29 PM
Should "Rule britannia" be viewed as equally offensive, and have the English rugger buggers pulled over the coals the next time they sing that? Plus its a shit song

100% agree. The English invaded half the world and carried some atrocities in their time so when they sign Rule Britannia are they doing the same thing?

The reaction to this from a lot of guys south of the Country is what i expected...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rudi

Quote from: trailer on October 14, 2022, 02:50:46 PM
I am certainly no IRA apologist. My thoughts.

They were stupid. But that's it. The reaction from media and politicians is ridiculous. Talk about a pile on. Carla Blackheart seems to be a cheerleader for this shite.

The song if f**king ket as well!

All of this plus the patronizing presenter from Sky, asking one of the girls, if the team needed education on the matter. I would have ripped the cont a new arse.
In the context of Cresslough, stuff like this doesn't matter. Bunch of happy ladies / men could have been singing anything, twas in a dressing room, no bodies business. The media should have been told to f off.

imtommygunn

It's far from over though. The scottish police are apparently involved too.