Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Okay, so I know you guys have been discussing this on FAI thread but think it deserves it's own thread. So where are you all on this?

A lot of the older folk and depends what part of Ireland you're from will say "what's the problem the IRA played their part in protecting the Irish against the British Army and Loyalists" etc etc
Some of the younger folk will probably feel "no call for it and lets move on with that crap" and others don't even know what they're singing about (just a catchy tune).

The SKY fella interviewing the Ireland Captain a few days ago asked should they be educated...WTF. They should be educated, have they forgotten what they done and not to just our Country but to numerous Countries around the World. The conflict is over and it's now fought with a pen but I don't think we should be ashamed of our past and our roots, I know there were terrible things done that should never have happened and i'm not condoning that but without the IRA in the 70's God only knows where we'd be and what situation we'd be in right now. Probably still wouldn't be allowed a vote or a job.

Is singing "Ooh ah up the Ra" really a criminal thing?

Thoughts?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: illdecide on October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM
Okay, so I know you guys have been discussing this on FAI thread but think it deserves it's own thread. So where are you all on this?

A lot of the older folk and depends what part of Ireland you're from will say "what's the problem the IRA played their part in protecting the Irish against the British Army and Loyalists" etc etc
Some of the younger folk will probably feel "no call for it and lets move on with that crap" and others don't even know what they're singing about (just a catchy tune).

The SKY fella interviewing the Ireland Captain a few days ago asked should they be educated...WTF. They should be educated, have they forgotten what they done and not to just our Country but to numerous Countries around the World. The conflict is over and it's now fought with a pen but I don't think we should be ashamed of our past and our roots, I know there were terrible things done that should never have happened and i'm not condoning that but without the IRA in the 70's God only knows where we'd be and what situation we'd be in right now. Probably still wouldn't be allowed a vote or a job.

Thoughts?

It's not criminal it's just in bad taste.

It's become something people sing without thinking about (I'm sure many on here have as have I a long time ago) and now because of camera phones these things reach much further than just the dressing room so the Protestant community and victims of the IRA see it and get offended which is their right.

With the rise of camera phones and the live stream I think the singing of things like the Celtic Symphony need to disappear. There's a million other songs you could sing and it's not even that good a song it shouldn't be that difficult to eradicate it.

The Sky Sports reporter, Jamie Bryson and Cara Lockhart can all f**k right off!!!!

Armagh18

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2022, 09:32:18 AM
Quote from: illdecide on October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Thoughts?

It's not criminal it's just in bad taste.

It's become something people sing without thinking about (I'm sure many on here have as have I a long time ago) and now because of camera phones these things reach much further than just the dressing room so the Protestant community and victims of the IRA see it and get offended which is their right.

With the rise of camera phones and the live stream I think the singing of things like the Celtic Symphony need to disappear. There's a million other songs you could sing and it's not even that good a song it shouldn't be that difficult to eradicate it.

The Sky Sports reporter, Jamie Bryson and Cara Lockhart can all f**k right off!!!!
Wash your mouth out with soap.

trueblue1234

It was stupid to do so. Not because it antagonised the poor British fans who were so cruelly subjected to it 😳, but because it has now taken the shine of the occasion and ruined what could be a one in a lifetimes achievement for those girls. So it was stupid and needless in my eyes.
That said, when that SS's p***k asked about education, I would have loved it if she had pushed back and compared it to the singing of Rule Britianna!! That would have really but a rocket under them!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

pbat

Im currently on holidays, walked into a bar last night and they was a trad session on, but they threw in a few Wolfe Tone favourites and I sang along and had a great nights craic.

Where does this stop? Let the boys down the Shankhill sing the bill boys, let the anybody sign the Celtic Sympathy, Its freedom of speech and expression. You might not agree with it but whats the alternative?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Its really silly and ill judged,

Lets not forget that when the troubles were at its height we had a hard core of about 10% people voting SF. I was one. That was an indication of where the support was. Now all this sub culture has become mainstream

Most of these ones running around now havent a clue and I see young lads all the time at this crap and be thinking your da and his family  ran a mile when the heat was on.

Pub Bore

In the midst of an emotional high they made a bad error of judgement.  It was a mistake for which they seem genuinely sorry, they apologised as did the manager, and the FAI and I'm sure they've learned a hard lesson.  In the wake of the incident I think they handled themselves really well.  Best of luck to them in the finals.

pbat

Quote from: Pub Bore on October 14, 2022, 10:21:00 AM
In the midst of an emotional high they made a bad error of judgement.  It was a mistake for which they seem genuinely sorry, they apologised as did the manager, and the FAI and I'm sure they've learned a hard lesson.  In the wake of the incident I think they handled themselves really well.  Best of luck to them in the finals.
Yeah but badly let down by the FAI

Rossfan

I doubt if the relatives of
Tom Oliver
Frank Hand
Gary Sheehan
Patrick Kelly
Seamus Quaid
Gerry McCabe
among others
will be joining in the chorus.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pub Bore

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2022, 10:28:56 AM
Tom Oliver
Frank Hand
Gary Sheehan
Patrick Kelly
Seamus Quaid
Gerry McCabe
among others

I'd be shocked if anyone asked them to.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2022, 10:28:56 AM
Tom Oliver
Frank Hand
Gary Sheehan
Patrick Kelly
Seamus Quaid
Gerry McCabe
among others
ok...

Denn Forever

At least  it wasn't Championes .Championes. to  fade                                                   
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AustinPowers

The GFA was 24 years ago.  Most of those girls wasn't even born in 1998,  so probably to them , the IRA might as well have been  generations ago .

I mean , I seen a photo of Michael Collins in  Varadkars office.  Sure look at the event in August at Beal na blath. 

Thousands look back with misty eyes  on the old IRA period . If the girls singing Celtic symphony is  supposedly glorifying the IRA , then surely  all the  events surrounding Collins/1916 etc , is the same? But I suppose that was 100 years ago , so that's ok   ::)