Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 25, 2022, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 24, 2022, 06:21:50 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 24, 2022, 06:16:56 PM
So water charges, and increase in rates? Brits are at it again

Can you blame them ?

Yes I can.. Because maybe if they hadn't made a pigs arse of the economy by going through more PMs than hot dinners we wouldn't be half as bad, also brexit when NI voted against it.

But its a threat to deal with the gobshites we have in Stormont. SF actuallt convincing people they could run a stand alone economy with no help from the brits -an economy that is much much bigger by the way

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-63754537

Yeah. Nurses are striking al over the UK asa threat to the gobsghites in Stormont. And you had to shoehorn SF in too

seafoid

The UK economy is over 5% smalller than it would have been without Brexit. The Shinners should dump neoliberalism. It's the republican thing to do
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 24, 2022, 10:14:28 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 25, 2022, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 24, 2022, 06:21:50 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 24, 2022, 06:16:56 PM
So water charges, and increase in rates? Brits are at it again

Can you blame them ?

Yes I can.. Because maybe if they hadn't made a pigs arse of the economy by going through more PMs than hot dinners we wouldn't be half as bad, also brexit when NI voted against it.

But its a threat to deal with the gobshites we have in Stormont. SF actuallt convincing people they could run a stand alone economy with no help from the brits -an economy that is much much bigger by the way

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-63754537

Yeah. Nurses are striking al over the UK asa threat to the gobsghites in Stormont. And you had to shoehorn SF in too

No they are not striking in Scotland, because the devolved government paid them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

If you're out and about the towns it's difficult to see where the cost of living crisis is. Shops, bars restaurants all packed out. Queues everywhere. Plenty of work and jobs. I think media might be making this out to be more than it actually is.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on December 28, 2022, 09:38:42 PM
If you're out and about the towns it's difficult to see where the cost of living crisis is. Shops, bars restaurants all packed out. Queues everywhere. Plenty of work and jobs. I think media might be making this out to be more than it actually is.

Ate out this evening, it was packed. People who hadnt booked a table were being turned away at the door. On a Wednesday.
What crisis?

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 28, 2022, 10:23:56 PM

Ate out this evening, it was packed. People who hadnt booked a table were being turned away at the door. On a Wednesday.
What crisis?

Most people being fine does not preclude a lot of problems for other people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AustinPowers

What crisis?

The crisis that  occurs when their  credit card  bill arrives

Ed Ricketts

What crisis?

Christmas is championship season for shops, pubs, and restaurants. The first proper championship for most people in 3 years.

How many of these punters will still be turning out once the McKenna Cup rolls around?
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

The plural of anecdote is not data.

I noticed restaurants booming last night too. The owner of one pizzeria said call in the morning to book a table for the evening.  Everyone is on holidays.  He also said next week would be very quiet.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

I remember saying to the wife ages ago people will ignore reality  and have a blast at Christmas and the shit will only really hit the fan in the new year. But, in reality for most people it will mean a tightening of the belts not the doom that the News and Twitter would have you believe.

I'd say restaurants & pubs are in for a very lean few months. The energy price guarantee is literally keeping lights on in the UK.

tyrone08

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Same back in 2008 when people living beyond their means were buying properties at ridiculous prices. There will be a hard few months in store for pubs, restaurants etc. Don't have any sympathy for them either as they were quick to jack up the prices at every opportunity

LC

Remember 2008 very well, things started to wobble in Autumn / Winter 2007 in that I put a BTL on the market in September (price of the property had doubled in 5 years) that I thought would sell rather quickly but not a sniff on it.  Start of 2008 Estates Agents, developers etc still talking things up however it was March / April 2008 that things started to go downhill and then into freefall.  Had friends who started jobs in January / Feb 2008 and were getting P45s by Easter of that year.

I hope the same thing does not happen again but if people continue to lose confidence in things, particularly the housing market, hard not to see tough times ahead.  While the energy cap / £600 credit might kick some cans down the road I thing the bigger problem is when people come off current mortgage deals.  Not to many people have £400 - £600 spare at the end of the month to absorb this.

Milltown Row2

No holidays will be booked then? Rubbish, January will be typically tight with its '6' weeks!! Feb is a short month and people will be sorting out their family holidays..

You only have to look at the holiday thread here to see it at times.

If you have a job, and there's plenty about, and budget right, you'll be fine, I'm actually looking at doing a second job, just to keep me busy, kids are up and gone so rather sitting on the sofa might as well earn some extra money.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LC

Fingers crossed MR2 I will be in a position to weather any storm coming down the tracks, working in a recession proof industry unlike in 08, kids half rared and on the home straight re my own mortgage.  It is the younger people / those heavily leveraged re mortgages, car loans etc that could struggle.  Re holiday for this year hopefully will get away somewhere with the kids, everybody to their own but I would prioritise this i.e. creating memories for the kids ahead of having a nice motor(s) sitting outside the house.  Between the wife and I both our wagons are paid off and between them have almost 400k miles on the clock, if I can get both through MOT this year hope to keep them going for at least another 12 months.