Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

New spuds were £1 last year, now up to £1.50.

The price of fertiliser and diesel has a lot to answer for.

sensethetone

Saw Mint Aero cheese cake in a shop just outside Cookstown yesterday at £9.. was normal size, thought it a bit mad.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: marty34 on July 04, 2022, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 04, 2022, 01:00:44 PM
Wife was out in Belfast yesterday for dinner and drinks and said every place was absolutely heaving. 3 gin and tonic was 24quid. 3 burgers, 1 chip and 3 drinks in Bunsen was £42. Said it was packed at 9 on a Sunday night.
What cost of living crisis?

I know. It's like 2 extremes.

One of money is no object with big houses and jeeps with personalised  number plates while the other side is people thinking of how hard it'll be to pay heating bills and school uniforms etc.

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground!

i would say a lot of this 'money no object' is debt

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sensethetone on July 04, 2022, 02:42:17 PM
Saw Mint Aero cheese cake in a shop just outside Cookstown yesterday at £9.. was normal size, thought it a bit mad.

I think you can look at it in a few ways, certainly the cost of things are well over priced, and some items are essential. but you'll be doing yourself a favour in the long run by staying away from the mint Aero cake, same for the other things we bought when we could actually not bother with..

5 Filltes £6 in places.. there's at least 2 meals in that, a curry or stir fry
500 mince beef £5 quid in places.. pasta or burgers couple of meals
Spud, rice and veg, with your own curry powder/passata/stir in sauces

If you really looked at what you cook and what you end up throwing out its criminal... Kids are the worst for it, especially when the refuse to eat the same thing you have made! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 04, 2022, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 04, 2022, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 04, 2022, 01:00:44 PM
Wife was out in Belfast yesterday for dinner and drinks and said every place was absolutely heaving. 3 gin and tonic was 24quid. 3 burgers, 1 chip and 3 drinks in Bunsen was £42. Said it was packed at 9 on a Sunday night.
What cost of living crisis?

I know. It's like 2 extremes.

One of money is no object with big houses and jeeps with personalised  number plates while the other side is people thinking of how hard it'll be to pay heating bills and school uniforms etc.

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground!

i would say a lot of this 'money no object' is debt

If you have no mortgage, no car payments, or standard loans then you've no debt, other than that everyone has something they are paying off till you get to certain age.. Debt to me is your outgoings are more than your incomings
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Olly

The price of alcohol is atrocious but there's an easy way around it. Instead of going out and paying £20 for 2 gins, buy a bottle of gin a day and drink it at home. You might wake up with an unbelievable headache and other long term conditions but you'll be grinning from ear to ear at how much you saved compared to your loser neighbours and friends.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2022, 02:59:28 PM

I think you can look at it in a few ways, certainly the cost of things are well over priced, and some items are essential. but you'll be doing yourself a favour in the long run by staying away from the mint Aero cake, same for the other things we bought when we could actually not bother with..

If you really looked at what you cook and what you end up throwing out its criminal... Kids are the worst for it, especially when the refuse to eat the same thing you have made!

Learning to cook is where its at, not only in terms of cost but also knowing what goes in, plus the satisfaction and taste of something homemade

sensethetone

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2022, 02:59:28 PM

My mother would do some baking, she'd tell you it wouldn't pay but for the satisfaction of doing it.
Household budgets will get reviewed even more coming into the winter, might have to buy that £9 cheesecake for the freezer.

markl121

Work solely in the south nowadays and usually would work two weeks straight doing about 1000 mile or more a week  as a Locum round different spots. Fuel bill has doubled to the point where I converted an old van to sleep in some nights if im in a similar part of the world the next day. This combined with revenue not allowing any food or fuel expenses for independent contractors any more has made the fuel squeeze even worse. Its doable at the minute as the wages are good but this is usually a cyclical thing and come the winter less people will be off and sleeping in a camper van will not be as appealing.

armaghniac

Quite mad, if you get a cheesecake at that price it should be made with After Eights and not fecking Mint Aero.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sensethetone

Not enough ppl to pick fresh food from the fields and it's going to rot added to the farmers expecting this and planting less veg etc.

farmers are buying foreign produce to fulfil contracts. Food hasn't gotten to it's price peak yet.

tonto1888

I see diesel has come down by a few pence per litre

Itchy

I'm away on the hols in Spain, 154c a litre here which is significantly cheaper than Ireland. So it's not all inflation, its taxation too.

onefineday

Quote from: Itchy on July 13, 2022, 08:57:41 AM
I'm away on the hols in Spain, 154c a litre here which is significantly cheaper than Ireland. So it's not all inflation, its taxation too.
There's a temporary govt rebate scheme of 20c per litre in place on fuel prices in Spain. The seller gets it directly, it runs from April to September.

CiKe

Quote from: onefineday on July 13, 2022, 09:05:48 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 13, 2022, 08:57:41 AM
There's a temporary govt rebate scheme of 20c per litre in place on fuel prices in Spain. The seller gets it directly, it runs from April to September.

Where in Spain? Been paying between 2,06 and 2,14 for last month for diesel. Not seen below i'd say 1,85 in about three months or so. All these numbers before the 20cent rebate