FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Southgate is one jammy cnut. The draw is a gift. They did their best to f it up in Russia and still stumbled into a SF ffs. Some shit teams there. Time for world qualifying to get the actual best 32 teams. The euros to be honest are better even with 24 teams

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2022, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 01, 2022, 08:37:49 PM
I have Spain backed to win it since the Euros. I think their posession football in the extreme conditions will be effective in tiring teams out.

Will it be that hot in November?

thewobbler

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 01, 2022, 09:53:18 PM
Southgate is one jammy cnut. The draw is a gift. They did their best to f it up in Russia and still stumbled into a SF ffs. Some shit teams there. Time for world qualifying to get the actual best 32 teams. The euros to be honest are better even with 24 teams

They're not jammy. For the past decade they've significantly better at football than 95% of countries, and a bit better than half of what's remaining.

Which means that second seeds are all clearly weaker than them. Third seeds are also rans against them. Fourth seeds might as well not show up.

As a result, just about any draw for them in a seeded competition is going to come out monstrously in their favour.

An Watcher

No harm but I don't think Spain, Portugal or Brazil would say the draw is monstrously in their favour and they have actually won tournaments.  England have got a massive slice of luck with this draw.
I do agree though that they've improved massively in recent years under Southgate.  Thankfully they didn't go for the jugglar against the Italians in the euro final or we'd be talking about the current European champions!!

Milltown Row2

Should have bate Croatia in semi and lost a Nation cup final also, they aren't great individuals they are a decent team though...

It won't matter, it's who they possibly meet in the knockout stages
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

England got the handiest second seed, the toughest fourth seed, and a middle of the road third seed.

Their draw was neither lucky nor unlucky. Maybe just looks a bit softer for having missed out on a second seed heavyweight. No idea how the US are ranked 15th, their presence amongst the second seeds seems to skew things a bit. But it's also not as if there were many standouts in pots 3 or 4 that might have replaced them. Loads of muck in this competition. Still love it, though.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

thewobbler

Quote from: An Watcher on April 01, 2022, 10:58:12 PM
No harm but I don't think Spain, Portugal or Brazil would say the draw is monstrously in their favour and they have actually won tournaments.  England have got a massive slice of luck with this draw.
I do agree though that they've improved massively in recent years under Southgate.  Thankfully they didn't go for the jugglar against the Italians in the euro final or we'd be talking about the current European champions!!

England would be between 1/2 and unbackable favourites in a match against every single team in pots 2, 3 and 4, with the exception of Germany.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2022, 08:59:13 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 01, 2022, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2022, 08:10:21 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 01, 2022, 07:49:58 PM
Draw probably a bit meh due to the move from 24 to 32. Also a few places undecided
The World Cup has had 32 teams since 1998?!

Ah just ignore me lol. Gettin mixed up with the euros which increases next time round? Im away for a drink 😃
The Euros went from 16 to 24 in 2016 I think. Does it increase again?

Possibly in 2028 ive read there. Ill get it right yet!

Eire90

i feel like a lot of groups outside the top seeds look close

Eire90

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2022, 09:53:58 PM
I have Spain backed to win it since the Euros. I think their posession football in the extreme conditions will be effective in tiring teams out.

i would love global qualifying  it be interesting see ireland  having to play a match in Bolivia imagine Ireland playing USA in a qualifier it be a great trip for some people  but it would probably too hard logistically to have teams like cook islands come to Europe.  you would would probably have to have the weaker teams stay in regions then when 80 is left have a global qualifying tournament.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Farrandeelin

On Group B, did Wales qualify?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Watcher

shark

Quote from: Eire90 on April 02, 2022, 01:20:23 AM

i would love global qualifying  it be interesting see ireland  having to play a match in Bolivia imagine Ireland playing USA in a qualifier it be a great trip for some people  but it would probably too hard logistically to have teams like cook islands come to Europe.  you would would probably have to have the weaker teams stay in regions then when 80 is left have a global qualifying tournament.

Would only benefit the mid tier UEFA nations. Not inconceivable that all bar 1 of the UEFA teams will make the second round this year. Brazil's group is the only one where a UEFA team will almost certainly fall. If there was global qualifying you'd probably have 20 of the 32 from Europe.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: shark on June 26, 2022, 08:31:54 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on April 02, 2022, 01:20:23 AM

Would only benefit the mid tier UEFA nations. Not inconceivable that all bar 1 of the UEFA teams will make the second round this year. Brazil's group is the only one where a UEFA team will almost certainly fall. If there was global qualifying you'd probably have 20 of the 32 from Europe.

global qualifying would work if there was no seeding