A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Culturally, there is no difference between north and south. Armagh men have more in common with Galway boyos than West Indian Cockneys.

We share roads, wildlife, weather, canals, rivers, townlands, sport, hospital care, education, placenames, humour and so on and so forth.

The occupied six statelet manufactured to create a unionist majority, which is all but gone.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: rrhf on May 27, 2015, 10:08:08 PM
It would be great and it actually has more chance of happening under a Sinn Fein Irish government.  How likely is that though?
Yes, unionists aren't convinced now, but if SF was in charge in the south they'd be rushing to join up.  ::)

SF in government in the south pushes reunification further away than ever.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 28, 2015, 12:00:50 AM
It would be great and it actually has more chance of happening under a Sinn Fein Irish government.  How likely is that though?
Yes, unionists aren't convinced now, but if SF was in charge in the south they'd be rushing to join up.  ::)

If SF get into power, you are more likely to see independence votes splitting up the 26.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 28, 2015, 12:00:50 AM

The SDLP in government in the 6 would lead to a united Ireland quicker. Denis could unify the stoops with FG as they are both in his back pocket.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sdlp-drew-down-400-000-from-donation-to-establish-new-york-office-1.2128228
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

deiseach

Quote from: rrhf on May 27, 2015, 09:56:28 PM
I think the South might be in trouble here.  The people in the new Southern statelet have struggled to define themselves and perhaps it has veered from being an alcohol, governmental and religiously controlled place to corruption and anarchy and internationally subservient. At least  Northern Unionists and Nationalists both have rich solid identities of which they are proud of.  Genetically the south probably need both of us down there to give a sense of direction and leadership and pride in oneself again, If we ever decide we want to let them in, we would need it renamed and it would obviously need to have more Northern than Southern influence..
Would it be called the United Kingdom of Northern and Southern Ireland.

Poe's Law?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2015, 11:46:16 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 27, 2015, 09:56:28 PM
I think the South might be in trouble here.  The people in the new Southern statelet have struggled to define themselves and perhaps it has veered from being an alcohol, governmental and religiously controlled place to corruption and anarchy and internationally subservient. At least  Northern Unionists and Nationalists both have rich solid identities of which they are proud of.  Genetically the south probably need both of us down there to give a sense of direction and leadership and pride in oneself again, If we ever decide we want to let them in, we would need it renamed and it would obviously need to have more Northern than Southern influence..
Would it be called the United Kingdom of Northern and Southern Ireland.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Genius.

I particularly love the bit where we need you 'genetically' to give 'leadership and pride'. I couldn't agree more.

I think Martin McGuinness should genetically mate with Gerry Adams for that very reason. The more little Merry McAdams we have the better.

the Maze jail breaker is quizzical about your suggestion!!!

longballin

Great subject but seems to me many people from the free state think they already live in an independent republic.

illdecide

Build a wall across the country from Belfast all the way west (through the Lough too if we have too) and move all Prods north of that wall and all fenians south of the wall to which we can join the Mexicans and celebrate being back (we haven't went away you know)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

longballin

Quote from: illdecide on May 28, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
Build a wall across the country from Belfast all the way west (through the Lough too if we have too) and move all Prods north of that wall and all fenians south of the wall to which we can join the Mexicans and celebrate being back (we haven't went away you know)

Then we give them the North coast

illdecide

Quote from: longballin on May 28, 2015, 12:15:56 PM

Then we give them the North coast

Yeah it's called compromise

armaghniac

They can have North Belfast to Larne.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laoislad

Could we not make Armagh into a country of its own and have it like Lesotho for example,and throw them all in there along with everyone from Armagh and Tyrone?
Would anyone really miss Armagh?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2015, 01:16:31 PM
Could we not make Armagh into a country of its own and have it like Lesotho for example,and throw them all in there along with everyone from Armagh and Tyrone?

I am not absolutely certain, but doesn't Scripture call for this?
MWWSI 2017

illdecide

We could be the Monaco of France :) Everyone would miss Armagh as we would not export our cheap Diesel to you peasants

BennyCake

Wasn't that the original idea with Queens County? English planters and all that.