Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Ulick

Still don't think it'll actually happen as there are too many state agencies and spooks to manipulate things just enough behind the scenes to engineer a No vote. But... I really think I'd die laughing if it did happen. Alba gu bràth! as Mel Gibson would say.

AQMP

Looks like the No camp are crapping themselves.  Offering Scots a raft of (as yet undefined) powers in return for a No vote.  I think ultimately the Yes camp will suffer from the "Shy Tory" effect where people who say they will vote Yes now will vote No when they get to the ballot box.  But if the Yes vote is 40% or over I think it will make independence inevitable in the next 25-30 years.

seafoid

It'll go to the wire. Quebec looked like seceding in 1995 but the no vote won by a whisker.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hereiam

You will see some amount of rubbish printed in the media over the next week or so to scare people into voting no. I agree with Ulick, don't see it happening for the yes vote but it will make a few wealthy men in Scotland a bit more wealthier.

ziggysego

I can't see Scotland voting Yes on the 18th. Only a 2% lead in the poll and mostly from swinging undecided voters. They'll swing back to No on the day. However, Salmond says it's actually a 5% lead and Mumsnet say it's 4%.
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 08, 2014, 01:28:04 AM

As Irish people we quite easily fall into the trap of looking at this through Irish lens. The English monarchy was imposed on us through warfare and as a result we are opposed to it. However in Scotland that was not the case. Scotland was a monarchy long before English rule and ended up with the same monarch through the laws of secession. As a result Scotland has no real reason to be hostile to the British crown who actually proclaim their Scottish heritage every bit as much as their English.

I suspect you mean SUCCESSION  ;)
Hope they vote YES.
Even if they don't anything over 40% is a success for Salmond and if Cameron gives them another load of Autonomy  he is in fact endorsing the Nationalists' argument......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: ziggysego on September 08, 2014, 10:38:08 AM
I can't see Scotland voting Yes on the 18th. Only a 2% lead in the poll and mostly from swinging undecided voters. They'll swing back to No on the day. However, Salmond says it's actually a 5% lead and Mumsnet say it's 4%.

In an attempt to swing more votes to the No camp, the British government has bestowed more powers to the devolved Scottish Parliament so Salmond is already in a win-win situation.

Hardy

And in an attempt to make us totally helpless with convulsive laughter they keep on keeping on with the same mistake over and over that only they don't know they're making. For every toffee-nosed Tory they lead up to lecture the Jimmies they knock another percentage point or two off the vote they're trying to promote.

It's a cliché, I know, but they really do seem never to learn.

bcarrier

bcarrier

Quote from: Hardy on September 08, 2014, 10:56:11 AM
And in an attempt to make us totally helpless with convulsive laughter they keep on keeping on with the same mistake over and over that only they don't know they're making. For every toffee-nosed Tory they lead up to lecture the Jimmies they knock another percentage point or two off the vote they're trying to promote.

It's a cliché, I know, but they really do seem never to learn.

That is so true.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on September 08, 2014, 10:50:37 AM
In an attempt to swing more votes to the No camp, the British government has bestowed more powers to the devolved Scottish Parliament so Salmond is already in a win-win situation.

Yes. But the "West Lothian problem" arises, more bits and pieces to Scotland while Westminster remains in its current form is unbalanced and not very stable. In something familiar to us in NI the unionists will concede something appropriate to the last debate, not this one, and then try to row back on it afterwards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lecale2

This could add a couple of % to the YES total.

"THOUSANDS of Orange Order members and supporters from Northern Ireland will travel to Edinburgh next weekend to stand alongside their "Scottish brethren" at a controversial march in support of the Union, it has emerged."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/thousands-of-orange-order-members-to-stand-with-scottish-brethren-in-edinbu.25254357

Bord na Mona man

I had assumed all along that the 'No' vote would win. And if the vote were today, I'd still expect them to shade it.
However the panic that has now set in within the 'No' camp could see them tying them up in knots in the next couple of weeks.
They'll be both begging and pleading and showering with love on one hand. While at the same time haranguing and lecturing - telling the Yes voters what narrow-minded bigots and idiots they are.

It'll be something like Fintan O'Toole telling the voters of North Tipp that they can't be seen as sophisticated, cosmopolitans while they keeping voting for Michael Lowry. And actually expecting them to listen to him!