Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

deiseach

Seeing as the only thread on this so far has been about the rivalry between a soccer club and its dead rivals, I thought I'd start one. Seems to be me that Alex Salmond's tactic of a long campaign has worked out as he would have hoped, i.e. to give the maximum opportunity for visibility of the more unpalatable sections of the Unionist camp, most obviously the Tories but also the Protestant supremacists who left Scotland centuries ago, thus driving the waverers into the Yes camp. Even if there is a small majority against independence, the wedge between Scotland and England has been driven ever deeper. Maith an fear, as they say in na h-Eileanan Siar.

T Fearon

Yes indeed would that nationalist Ireland,North or South  produced such a visionary leader.I see Nigel Farage is also planning a big No Rally, that should further push the hitherto undecided into the Yes Camp in big numbers.

armaghniac

Spot on about the limitations of Irish leaders. Now that the polls are moving against them perhaps the OO will have a few more marches.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

The empire is dead.Long live the dead empire!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tony Baloney

Salmond is a pretty risible character so he would me think twice.

Hardy

"I don't like to see small islands partitioned" - George Galloway.

Discuss.

easytiger95

Scotland's independence maybe a good thing for Scots - but it could mean a permanent rightwing majority in Westminster as the Scottish labour party MPs were a huge bulwark against the Tories in the Commons. If Cameron didn't have to live with the disgrace of being the PM that lost Scotland, he'd be rubbing his hands at Labour's plight. It's no surprise Darling and Brown are so gung ho No. And it is also very interesting that Farage is spouting today that he was asked to meet Murdoch this week.

I take it that they stay in the Commonwealth, with Her Maj still head of state? Very interesting times indeed.

Maguire01

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 07, 2014, 01:53:20 PM
Scotland's independence maybe a good thing for Scots - but it could mean a permanent rightwing majority in Westminster as the Scottish labour party MPs were a huge bulwark against the Tories in the Commons. If Cameron didn't have to live with the disgrace of being the PM that lost Scotland, he'd be rubbing his hands at Labour's plight. It's no surprise Darling and Brown are so gung ho No. And it is also very interesting that Farage is spouting today that he was asked to meet Murdoch this week.

I take it that they stay in the Commonwealth, with Her Maj still head of state? Very interesting times indeed.
Yes to Commonwealth and Head of State.

bennydorano

Jesus, imagine how strange it will be if it does actually happen. The upheaval will be huge, the long-term implications nearly impossible to guess.

I still don't think it will be a Yes vote, Scottish Nationalism surely couldn't move from the relative periphery to deliver Independence in a few decades, I think when Scots realise it might actually happen they'll have second thoughts, but the panic has surely set in in Government.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 07, 2014, 02:35:55 PM

I read yesterday that if independence (?) is granted they will campaign to have another referendum on whether or not to retain the monarchy.

macdanger2

It will be interesting to see how many people change their mind in the ballot box and take the safe option of voting No

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 07, 2014, 10:58:30 PM
It will be interesting to see how many people change their mind in the ballot box and take the safe option of voting No

The Québec example is often cited, where the "Yes" side was ahead of "No" by about 3%, but on the day the "No" side won by the narrowest of margins, as people chickened out in the polling station.

However, in Québec there was only a modest surge towards "Yes" at the end compared to Scotland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 07, 2014, 06:48:47 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 07, 2014, 02:35:55 PM

I read yesterday that if independence (?) is granted they will campaign to have another referendum on whether or not to retain the monarchy.

Hmm... I have not heard that before and I've been following the run in fairly closely, sounds like scaremongering... source? Tabloid?

As Irish people we quite easily fall into the trap of looking at this through Irish lens. The English monarchy was imposed on us through warfare and as a result we are opposed to it. However in Scotland that was not the case. Scotland was a monarchy long before English rule and ended up with the same monarch through the laws of secession. As a result Scotland has no real reason to be hostile to the British crown who actually proclaim their Scottish heritage every bit as much as their English.

However if they choose independence in the years following they may decide to move towards a republic viewing a monarch as a nostalgic waste of time and money, or they may decide it is part of their tradition and heritage keep it

Eamonnca1

It'd be interesting all right to see if they opt for a republic or stick with the monarchy. Alex Salmond for President!

My sneaking suspicion is that the soft yeses will chicken out on the day and vote no, but it's interesting to see the late surge of the Yes campaign. The likes of Farage are probably helping the Yes boys more than they realise.

bennydorano

Return of the House of Stewart? Been watching History of Britain 're-runs on BBC4, interesting stuff.