Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

As was mentioned on another thread, lots of english teams have their own dedicated threads, so here's one for the Bhoys.
Any of you Hoops supporters out there feel free to contribute.

"Departing Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham could be in direct opposition to Celtic in the USA this summer.
Celtic have been confirmed as the opposition in the 2007 MLS All-Stars Game in Colorado this on 19 July.

And, by then, former England international Beckham could have made his move to LA Galaxy.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell told his club website: "We are absolutely delighted to be travelling to America again this pre-season."

Gordon Strachan's side will face the top players of Major League Soccer in the prestigious game at the Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado.

"Celtic has a world-wide audience, with thousands of fans in the United States, and I am sure this passionate support will be looking forward to welcoming the team back," said Lawwell.

MLS commissioner Don Garber extended a warm welcome to the Scottish Premier League leaders.

"We are thrilled to welcome Celtic, one of the world's most popular teams, for a quality match against the best of MLS at our newest soccer cathedral, Dick's Sporting Goods Park," he said.

"We look forward to an exciting evening in this tremendous new soccer-specific venue."

COME ON THE HOOPS!!!

Tbc....

Over the Bar

Still no word on Thompson & Brown from Hibs I see.   This one's dragging out and I can see both opting to follow Smith to Mordor.

realredhandfan

test

5 Sams

QuoteDick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado.

Jesus wept....only in America
The Aristocrat Years

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Hopefully not, I think it's going to be one of those big announcement days at Paradise, you know transfer window closing and Celts sweating etc...

Sure the two lads are to young for the Orcs anyway  ;) ;D ;D
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Celtic sign Hartley from Hearts - excellent news, Paul is a die-hard Celtic fan from he was a kid, and he's a hanly enough player into the bargin.
Moloney HAS gone to Aston Celtic, the wee lad is getting a bit of flack from some quarters in the Celtic support for being mercenary, good luck to him is what i say, I don't think it's the best move he could have made but sure!
Tbc....

Croí na hÉireann

Poor form from Maloney, repeated what Miller did before him. Except Celtic stood by him during his cruciate and this is how he rewards them.  ::) Hope he enjoys mid table mediocrity as only one player has left the Celts in recent years and gone on to bigger and better things, and Maloney ain't no Larsson.

Great news on Hartley, better player than Thompson and cheaper as well...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

IMO Maloney was over rated and I could not believe how a 'headless chicken' like him managed to win the player of the year award last year.
Hartley and numerous others imo were far more deserving. OK Celtic won the league, but overall no one stood out for them last season, as it was a real team effort. Certainly in the games I saw, maloney didnt stand out, though he scored some spectacular goals. He also missed a chunk at the start of the season.

Think Strachans way was paved by ONeill - MON certainly catapulted the Celtic name back up the rungs of the football ladder in europe in status if not actual achievement. This has obv given strachans team a better co-efficient to play with and is a genuine help.
MON only knows how to play the old Forrest way, with a bit of route one to start it all off. He wont use more than 14 or 15 players in a season - less if he can keep them inj free.

Strachan also has mad notions in terms of team selection (I mean Jarosik playing just off the front man with his back to goal - I know he's 6' 4" but he cant play that way) and the squad rotation is prob generating competition for places, but its not building up a winning team and going into a game v milan in a couple of weeks - looks like they will be thumped without some cohesion and continuity.
Although Hearts, Hibs and Rangers have been so inconsisten that they are being labelled as 'poor' this season I think the top 4 or 5 in the SPL would do ok in the epl - certainly a couple would be involved in relegation dogfight, but I honestl doubt they would not be competitive and be guaranteed to go down. Certainly with epl finances they would be able to stay up imo.
Rangers exploits in Europe show that they are not as bad a side as people think.

Celtic have benefitted by the others inconsistencies and the 100 miles an hour frenzy that is usually an spl game is mostly far more honest as it is exciting than the epl version.
Only Arsenal on a weekly basis and a few fleeting glimpses of marvellous skill from liverpool, man u, chelsea and spurs spring to mind to rivel the entertainment factor - even if the quality may be deemed inferior on the spl teams.

Strachan was way off in his first season in terms of tactics, and is obv learning -his def formations v man u worked overall. Maybe he is lucky, but is being lucky too often if that is the case - so I have to think he is learning and getting better and maybe I'll even say he's actually doing a good job right now.
Next season shoul dbe interesting with Walter smith back at rangers, but Hearts are again the huge threat if they can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Celtic have recently aquired the Hibs coach , who was responsible for most of that fantastic young skilled talent that were at easter road.
Aberdeen and a few others have fantastic youth programmes too and I am surprised that not more scots make it in England.
Most dont even make it out of scotland. A lot of 'cheap' eircom leage players are being snapped up by scots clubs which makes it even more interesting for Irish viewers.
Interested to hear LDA's assessment.
If the SPL had more money , it would be an even better league, but maybe to the detriment of the 'home grown' talent which I think right now is really coming to the fore.
Certainly at Celtic.

IMO

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 02, 2007, 11:30:55 AM
Poor form from Maloney, repeated what Miller did before him. Except Celtic stood by him during his cruciate and this is how he rewards them. 

Bit of irony there surely, you could just as easily argue that Hearts took Hartley from obscurity and he repays them by moving to Celtic!

I used to be of the opinion that Maloney was indeed as Lynchbhoy said "a headless chicken" but his performances last season were excellent and suggested he had matured into a fine player. Might well have benefited him to stay in Scotland for another season or two though before trying his luck down south.
With McGeady and Riordan though will Celtic really miss him?

The last couple of weeks have been disappointing for Scottish football IMO. After a few seasons when the rest of the clubs were putting it up to the Old Firm we have seen Rangers sign Thompson from Hibs with Brown likely to follow in the summer. Theyre also taking Gow from Falkirk in the summer and probably McDonald from Motherwell too.
Celtic have got Pressley (albeit down to Hearts themselves) and Pressley having recently raided Hibs for Riordan. And whilst its good news for Celtic to have lured the Hibs Youth Coach its not so good for the Hibees!

Then when the Old Firm dominate they complain they dont get a challenge from the rest - after stripping them off their best players!

Croí na hÉireann

QuoteBit of irony there surely, you could just as easily argue that Hearts took Hartley from obscurity and he repays them by moving to Celtic!

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Hartley not sign a contract with Hearts recently ensuring that they got a fee for him??? Celtic stood by Maloney during his rehabilitation and he led them on a song and dance for nearly a year about signing a new contract. Still though £1 million is a super fee for a fellow who's out of contract in the summer.

Croí na hÉireann

U misread what I said, the fact that Hartley signed a deal ensured that Hearts could be able to sell him (I'm sure he had his own interests first). This is not a like for like comparision with Maloney.

You don't like the two big clubs from Glasgow, we get it, move on.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 02, 2007, 03:36:38 PM
U misread what I said, the fact that Hartley signed a deal ensured that Hearts could be able to sell him (I'm sure he had his own interests first). This is not a like for like comparision with Maloney.

My feelings towards the Old Firm are hardly relevant, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of Celtic fans having a go at Maloney for exercising his right to run down his contract and move on given how often they do the same thing to other clubs.

Once again a siege mentality from some Celtic fans on this board with anybody who dares to move away from the party line getting it in the neck.

laughinpaddy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 02, 2007, 03:48:18 PM
Quote from: Croí ®a hÉ©reann on February 02, 2007, 03:36:38 PM

My feelings towards the Old Firm are hardly relevant, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of Celtic fans having a go at Maloney for exercising his right to run down his contract and move on given how often they do the same thing to other clubs.

Once again a siege mentality from some Celtic fans on this board with anybody who dares to move away from the party line getting it in the neck.
I think your getting a little excited there!  This did not happen to Sutton, Thompson, Hartson, Agathe, Larrson etc all big names for Celtic in there days who choose to move to other clubs despite a contract being offered by Celtic, the only difference is that Maloney only a few months ago stressed that he would love to sign a new contract for Celtic. If a player says he wants to stay he should stay plain an simple!!
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Croí na hÉireann

QuoteI was just pointing out the hypocrisy of Celtic fans having a go at Maloney for exercising his right to run down his contract and move on given how often they do the same thing to other clubs.

If Maloney came out and said he wanted to run down his contract and then look at his options I think most would accept that as well within his rights, whilst not being happy with his decision. However he didn't, he hummed and hawed and when one agent had more or less agreed a deal with Celtic he dropped him and hired another. Again they were near a deal and then, low and behold, he was off to Villa. At least Brown came out this week after removing his transfer request and said he intended to run down his contract and then consider his options. I don't think Celtic fans have a problem with MON or Villa (especially after they paid 1 million for him) so the fact that you say Celtic fans are hypocritics for "having a go at Maloney" even though their club signs other players on Bosmans is factually incorrect.

QuoteOnce again a siege mentality from some Celtic fans on this board with anybody who dares to move away from the party line getting it in the neck.

Move as far away as u like from the party line, but there's no need for every post on SPL matters to include a dig at Celtic. Like I said, u don't like them, we get it, move on.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 02, 2007, 02:25:17 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 02, 2007, 11:30:55 AM
Poor form from Maloney, repeated what Miller did before him. Except Celtic stood by him during his cruciate and this is how he rewards them. 

Bit of irony there surely, you could just as easily argue that Hearts took Hartley from obscurity and he repays them by moving to Celtic!

I used to be of the opinion that Maloney was indeed as Lynchbhoy said "a headless chicken" but his performances last season were excellent and suggested he had matured into a fine player. Might well have benefited him to stay in Scotland for another season or two though before trying his luck down south.
With McGeady and Riordan though will Celtic really miss him?

The last couple of weeks have been disappointing for Scottish football IMO. After a few seasons when the rest of the clubs were putting it up to the Old Firm we have seen Rangers sign Thompson from Hibs with Brown likely to follow in the summer. Theyre also taking Gow from Falkirk in the summer and probably McDonald from Motherwell too.
Celtic have got Pressley (albeit down to Hearts themselves) and Pressley having recently raided Hibs for Riordan. And whilst its good news for Celtic to have lured the Hibs Youth Coach its not so good for the Hibees!

Then when the Old Firm dominate they complain they dont get a challenge from the rest - after stripping them off their best players!

but these clubs still keep producing great talent
Falkirk had Stokes (on loan) and gow who is looking super every time I see him
Aberdeen are always turning them out
Hearts were before the money revolution
Hibs I still think will continue on with their great youth policy (they have no choice)

in spite of the two glasgow clubs taking the best from the rest to water down the challenges
I still think they will continue to be pressed in almost every game
dont be so downhearted!

still think maloney has not progressed the way I thought he might
McGeady has, and alsong with riordan - Celtic dont need maloney