The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

It's Zimbabwe for God's sake. You know who the President of that place is? Makes our tools look like altar boys.

Billys Boots

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2015, 11:48:37 AM
It's Zimbabwe for God's sake. You know who the President of that place is? Makes our tools look like altar boys.

It used to be Rhodesia, the place that made South Africa look like racial Nirvana. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

dec

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2015, 10:58:50 AM
Still the highest score of the tournament against India. Our bowlers were never going to get close to keeping it tight.

Looking like a high chance of rain for the WI game at the weekend. Wouldn't it be ironic if rain got us through! Still - I think we have a good chance of beating Pakistan.

England have taken a number of our best players recently. It is only fitting if we use their best player "Rain stopped play" to progress.

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on March 10, 2015, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2015, 11:30:22 AM
Gobsmacked?  sure for example  Mickey Harte does that type of thing regularly.
Paranoia is a reality,

???

The comments in that article are reassuring.
Yes I missed the core of what the article was about. He was within his rights to call Mooney a cheat  but not the tagged on comments.

Eamonnca1

I wonder how we'll do against Pakistan. They seem to be on the same points as us.

What's the format? Top 4 advances from each group?

Apparently the top 4 advances from each group. We seem to be in good shape.

lenny

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 13, 2015, 06:57:02 AM
I wonder how we'll do against Pakistan. They seem to be on the same points as us.

What's the format? Top 4 advances from each group?

Apparently the top 4 advances from each group. We seem to be in good shape.

Cant see us getting near Pakistan. Their bowling is so much superior to ours. Their batting is good but not brilliant so we have a chance but its very slim and I wouldnt like to put sny money on it.

magpie seanie

I think our batting is better than their batting. We really need to stop KOB bowling and especially in the closing overs. If he has to bowl, get them out of the way early. I'd rate us 40/60 or 35/65 for this game.

deiseach

Pakistan were utter crud at the start of the 1992 World Cup. They were being walloped by England in the group stages only for rain to intervene and prevent England getting enough overs to force a result. The point they got for that result ensured they got into the semi-finals and ended up winning it. They'll be very confident that history is repeating itself.

AZOffaly

By the way, I think we are seeing the answer to 'why do Ireland like a run chase'. I think it's all to do with bowling, rather than batting.

If you bat first, you're more likely to play yourself into the innings, poke and prod, and then try and finish strongly from 35 overs onwards.

Because Ireland's bowlers are fairly toothless in fairness, this usually means they are not blown away and have a target they can chase. (south Africa aside).

When Ireland bat first, the others know exactly what they need, and quite often they are able to do exxactly that. Zimbabwe should have done it too.

I suspect that's what makes them prefer to bat second.

deiseach

Hmm. If that's the case then Pakistan, who clearly have a brilliant bowling lineup (historically bowlers are what they do), should be batting first so their less-impressive batting lineup can get a score, any score, that their bowling attack can tear into, each successive wicket increasingly ramping up the pressure on the team making the chase. Yet against the West Indies they won the toss and elected to field. They got slaughtered, as it happens, but they obviously thought it was a good idea to field. It does look like Ireland fancy a chase, but I think it's more likely they are making their decisions based on the conditions and the state of the wicket on the day. And that is a particular facet of cricket that I am completely ignorant.

Hardy

Betfair: Pakistan 1.29, Ireland 4.3 or, roughly, Pak 1/3, Ire 7/2.

Ball Hopper

On holiday in New Zealand this week.  Cracker of a chase by NZ against Bangladesh last night, with NZ getting there with 8 balls left.

The pub even switched over from club rugby to the cricket on all TV's - not everyone happy with that!  Switched back to rugby within 20 seconds of the cricket ending though.

If Ireland finish fourth, they will play NZ in the quarter final...curtains At that stage I suppose, but stranger things have happened.

Main Street

The game match is being played in Adelaide Oval (whatever), it's some stadium, the same place where Bangladesh destroyed England. It's a fantastic stadium,  cost an absolute fortune just to renovate the place, something in the region of  €450m. 
There's a forecast of rain in the other match UAE v W/Indies, in the shape of Cyclone Pam, set to land before monday, , "The forecast for Napier on Sunday is for cloudy weather and possible showers, sending a wave of apprehension through the West Indies camp as it needs a win from the last pool match to make the quarterfinals".

One of the main things about getting through to the last 8 is the prize money, some Eur300k just for qualification. It would more than double all what Ireland earned in the group. It would mean  the hotel and travel bills be paid on time and unlike the Scots, would not have to pass the helmet around, to pay the tab.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Main Street on March 13, 2015, 09:33:12 PM

One of the main things about getting through to the last 8 is the prize money, some Eur300k just for qualification. It would more than double all what Ireland earned in the group. It would mean  the hotel and travel bills be paid on time and unlike the Scots, would not have to pass the helmet around, to pay the tab.

Yet it's still considerably less than Zimbabwe will get for failing to even get out of the group.

Main Street

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 13, 2015, 09:50:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 13, 2015, 09:33:12 PM

Yet it's still considerably less than Zimbabwe will get for failing to even get out of the group.
Where do get that idea about Zimbabwe?
According to the WC prize money distribution, there is no favouritism.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/icc-cricket-world-cup-prizemoney-increases/2014-11-11