Feigning Injuries

Started by mrdeeds, March 06, 2023, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

With this getting out of hand should everytime a player goes down injured and physio comes on, they have to go of field for at least a minute similar to soccer?

Cavan19

I presume you were at the Down game yesterday, they would have been better trying to win by playing football instead of trying to get men sent off.

Truth hurts

Sure every county is at it, but we were embarrassing yesterday.

Dreadnought

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 06, 2023, 12:59:49 PM
With this getting out of hand should everytime a player goes down injured and physio comes on, they have to go of field for at least a minute similar to soccer?

Down goalie was on the ground like a sniper took him out, physio and doctor out around him. Seconds later he was making a lung bursting run up the line to get make himself available for a pass. A joke

Truth hurts

I think the management are bringing in a new mentality. Kilcooesque

From the Bunker

The rewards are great for feigning injury, a scorable free kick, getting a free out of defence despite being outnumbered, getting a player booked, wasting time near the end of a game, wasting time while a player is Black Carded.

On the other side referees will almost never punish anyone who tries this.

Thus making it a win-win situation for the cheater!

When anything bad comes into the game, Soccer is conveniently blamed. When you own up to your own shortcomings, you get closer to solving the problem.

Maurice Moss

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 06, 2023, 02:08:42 PM
I think the management are bringing in a new mentality. Kilcooesque

Sure every county is at it?

thewobbler

A couple of simple fixes.

First, if you need physio attention, and you don't need to be substituted, then you will spend one minute on the sideline from when the game is restarted. No exceptions. No hard luck stories. Same rule for goalkeepers. Attempt to return before one minute and you get an automatic black card. This could be written into the rules as a player welfare need, at the drop of a hat.

Extend the black card rule to include "clear and obvious timewasting" and "attempting to gain an opponent an unwarranted card". Referees would almost never use this tool, but the threat of it should keep our game more honest .

clarshack

The rot started this year with Emmet O'Shea going down as if shot by a sniper in the All-Ireland Junior Final. There needs to be retrospective bans handed out to players for feigning injuries.

From the Bunker

Quote from: clarshack on March 06, 2023, 02:40:55 PM
The rot started this year with Emmet O'Shea going down as if shot by a sniper in the All-Ireland Junior Final. There needs to be retrospective bans handed out to players for feigning injuries.

I remember Pat Spillane in the late 70's / Early 80's going down and rolling on the ground as if he was about to die!

LeoMc

Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2023, 02:13:52 PM

First, if you need physio attention, and you don't need to be substituted, then you will spend one minute on the sideline from when the game is restarted. No exceptions. No hard luck stories. Same rule for goalkeepers. Attempt to return before one minute and you get an automatic black card. This could be written into the rules as a player welfare need, at the drop of a hat.

Extend the black card rule to include "clear and obvious timewasting" and "attempting to gain an opponent an unwarranted card". Referees would almost never use this tool, but the threat of it should keep our game more honest .
Players receiving treatment from a medic should be removed from the field for assessment for at least 1 minute and cannot return to the field until the next break in play and cannot return without receiving permission from the referee.

Nanderson

Only issue i have with this is if a player has a genuine injury such as cramp or a knock i.e something that can resolve fairly quickly why should their team be punished by having to play with a person down for a minute?

trileacman

Don't think its at all fair to compare GAA and soccer with physios tending to players. Soccer is now next to a non-contact sport, there's seldom really heavy collisions like in GAA or Rugby where guys a competing really hard for loose possession. I think it would be highly unfair if a midfielder contested a ball didn't win it but took a hard knock whilst trying to get the ball and then had to go off for 1 minute and have his team compete with 14 players.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Nanderson on March 06, 2023, 03:16:43 PM

Only issue i have with this is if a player has a genuine injury such as cramp or a knock i.e something that can resolve fairly quickly why should their team be punished by having to play with a person down for a minute?

Or a player is milled by a fair shoulder, why should a team have to play with 14 men just because one of their players came off worse in a collision.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Itchy

Sad thing is very little that can be done about this, ref cannot make an assessment in real time how injured a player really is. The posters above have pointed out a guy who is genuinely injured from a collision should not be punished. Best punishment might be being humiliated on the Sunday game for lying down and then jumping up and sprinting the length of the field!

Off the point, I think a team who has a sub/mentor sent off should lose a player on the field as punishment.