NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2023, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

I don't think it wasn't that we didn't target it, we just fell short due to negative unsuitable tactics, an inability to close games out and injuries to some key players. Donaghy even said as much after the Galway match when he said that they'd hoped to be in a position travelling to Omagh knowing that a win there would guarantee them a League final. The Galway result ended that aspiration though. The margins were very fine but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless. I don't think Armagh will win an All Ireland but could have won a League title.
Unfortunately Armagh are some way short of being serious contenders at the moment. Last years run has maybe given us false hope. There are different opinions on the reasons for this. There is probably enough talent, not withstanding the age of forker, soupy and some others. perhaps a different voice is needed?

Armamike

Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

I don't think it wasn't that we didn't target it, we just fell short due to negative unsuitable tactics, an inability to close games out and injuries to some key players. Donaghy even said as much after the Galway match when he said that they'd hoped to be in a position travelling to Omagh knowing that a win there would guarantee them a League final. The Galway result ended that aspiration though. The margins were very fine but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless. I don't think Armagh will win an All Ireland but could have won a League title.

I think our stock has been talked up a little too much. We have good players and some very good players.  We are a top 8 team that can put in a performance and rattle a few cages but we we haven't performed at all in the Ulster Championship in years.  By that I mean stringing together a couple of victories, never mind winning or reaching an Ulster final. That's the litmus test for me.   The league standings and a few good performances in the back door tends to paper over that.
That's just, like your opinion man.

yellowcard

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2023, 03:34:59 PM

Unfortunately Armagh are some way short of being serious contenders at the moment. Last years run has maybe given us false hope. There are different opinions on the reasons for this. There is probably enough talent, not withstanding the age of forker, soupy and some others. perhaps a different voice is needed?

Serious contenders for Sam? Yes, probably. I would say that Kerry are out in front and after that only Galway, Dublin and possibly Mayo (though the jury is still out on them) can win it. A bit behind that you have Tyrone, Derry, ourselves and Roscommon all of whom could reach a semi final depending on the draw. However we can realistically still hope to win an Ulster title. It depends on how we recover mentally from the blow of relegation, how many injuries we get cleared up and whether management can get us back playing to a similar tactical gameplan to last summer. Management can control the mental recovery and tactical adjustments required but after that we could do with the return of a few players from injury. Morgan, Oisin O'Neill, Crealey and Murnin being the most important of those as we still have a huge deficiency in midfield. I don't know if any or all of these will be fit for an Ulster campaign but there are big question marks over Morgan and O'Neill at least.     

Manning18

Quote from: WhoDat on March 28, 2023, 07:48:48 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 05:13:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 27, 2023, 05:09:54 PM
On an advantage side, Mayo have virtually had a week off this week. Most of those who played v Monaghan on Sunday will be in the Stand in Croke Park next Sunday. Plus Mayo's game v Donegal the week before was as close to a training match as one could get.
Technically I suppose it's a knockout game as well, Galway don't win those against the big teams and sure wins don't count unless it's knockout as we've been told before. Advantage Mayo you'd think.

eh its very much advantage galway. mayo are going to have one eye on the start of their championship the following week. i wouldn't even be surprised if they don't play a couple of key players ahead of that. galway can afford to go at it at the weekend knowing they've decent recovery time after, mayo can't really. a by product of the ridiculous scheduling - what could have been a great championship precursor is probably not going to be as good as everyone would like simply because one team has to hold something back.

galway will win and probably handily enough.

Did you see the scenes of jubilation post Mayo's league win in 2019?

The idea that Mayo are going to be holding back, in anticipation for the least consequential Connacht championship ever played is ridiculous. It's the second biggest title in the GAA, they've certainly put a hell of stock into it in the past and they're not exactly flush with national titles. Mayo definitely have the fitness edge at this point and that'll only be exasperated by the fast Croke Park pitch. Too many of Galways main players either won't be playing or are a long way off championship sharpness. If Finnerty, Comer and McDaid don't start as is likely, as well as Walsh still finding his feet, that takes away the vast majority of Galways scores

Rossfan

I doubt either side will want to lose to the other .
How enthused are either about Connacht I wonder?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2023, 06:50:27 PM
I doubt either side will want to lose to the other .
How enthused are either about Connacht I wonder?
Keenly I would expect.  Both will aim to be a top seed in their All Ireland group which is getting a round 1 match at home and will know winning Connacht means no Kerry,Dublin or Ulster champions in their group. 

Manning18

There's no home advantage to being a top seed really because each team has a home, away and neutral game. While it would obviously help to be a 1 seed, when you delve into it, the result if not isn't that scary. Kerrys group as a 1 seed is going to have Sligo or Leitrim as a 2 seed. With all respect, that's a bye to a prelim QF at least. The Ulster champions group will have a Leinster runner up as a 2, and none of those potential counties are going well atm, save maybe for Louth. The one to avoid would be Dublins group with an Ulster runner up as the 2 seed. There's a fair chance that'll be Cavan though looking at Armagh's injuries and that's not going to scare Galway, Mayo or Ros.

joemamas

Quote from: Manning18 on March 28, 2023, 07:29:19 PM
There's no home advantage to being a top seed really because each team has a home, away and neutral game. While it would obviously help to be a 1 seed, when you delve into it, the result if not isn't that scary. Kerrys group as a 1 seed is going to have Sligo or Leitrim as a 2 seed. With all respect, that's a bye to a prelim QF at least. The Ulster champions group will have a Leinster runner up as a 2, and none of those potential counties are going well atm, save maybe for Louth. The one to avoid would be Dublins group with an Ulster runner up as the 2 seed. There's a fair chance that'll be Cavan though looking at Armagh's injuries and that's not going to scare Galway, Mayo or Ros.

Q, are some of the groupings pre determined as mentioned above, additional Q are the all-Ireland semi-finals also predetermined,

Blowitupref

A good start is half the battle. As already said winning Connacht is a round 1 match at home.  If Galway or Mayo don't win Connacht it's a round 1 game away to the Leinster,Ulster or Munster champion.  I think the preference would be to win the group which would include a week rest against All Ireland Quarter final opponents.

Quote from: joemamas on March 28, 2023, 07:33:34 PM

Q, are some of the groupings pre determined as mentioned above, additional Q are the all-Ireland semi-finals also predetermined,

Groups are

Connacht winners/Munster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Munster winners/Munster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Leinster winners/Ulster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Ulster winners/Leinster runners up, seed 3, seed 4

1st in each group into the last 8.   Winner of the 2nd v 3rd in group match will play one of those group winners.

All Ireland semi finals will have a draw. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

joemamas

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 28, 2023, 07:52:52 PM

A good start is half the battle. As already said winning Connacht is a round 1 match at home.  If Galway or Mayo don't win Connacht it's a round 1 game away to the Leinster,Ulster or Munster champion.  I think the preference would be to win the group which would include a week rest against All Ireland Quarter final opponents.

Quote from: joemamas on March 28, 2023, 07:33:34 PM

Groups are

Connacht winners/Munster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Munster winners/Munster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Leinster winners/Ulster runners up,seed 3,seed 4
Ulster winners/Leinster runners up, seed 3, seed 4

1st in each group into the last 8.   Winner of the 2nd v 3rd in group match will play one of those group winners.

If Provincial champions qualify Connacht will face Munster, Leinster will face Ulster in the All Ireland semi finals.

Thank you for the explanation.

Does the piece in bold mean that no matter who wins group 1 and 2 and winners of 3 or 4 are going play each other in semi finals, i.e once the group are drawn there will be no additional draws for pairings.

Rossfan

Treóir Oifigiúil says there will be a draw for Semi Finals?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2023, 08:52:11 PM
Treóir Oifigiúil says there will be a draw for Semi Finals?

Got my information on a recent article on the Irish Examiner.  Have now checked GAA.IE and you are right about a draw for the semi finals.

The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a
draw, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship, where possible.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 28, 2023, 09:09:25 PM
The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a
draw, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship, where possible.

Is that the whole championship or just the All Ireland bit of it?
You could have Tyrone playing Derry in Ulster and both might reach the semi finals.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Can't see Mayo going remotely full tilt especially after the way last years final affected them in the championship. With Roscommon the week after, I be putting out a limited team.

yellowcard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 28, 2023, 09:32:43 PM
Can't see Mayo going remotely full tilt especially after the way last years final affected them in the championship. With Roscommon the week after, I be putting out a limited team.

So you think they should prioritise a provincial first round match over a national final and the chance to win a trophy just in case Galway might inflict a morale crushing defeat? I just don't get that mindset.