7 All Ireland Contenders ?

Started by catchandkick, February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 04, 2013, 10:33:49 PM
Before Yellowcard rewrites history over Down v Kildare in 2010, Down's goal just as obviously a square ball as Kildare's was the result of blatant overcarrying. As for poor Kerry's bad luck over injuries in the quarter final, we were without Liam Doyle and beat them by six points despite their joke penalty. We have had one decent season in the last 15, so don't take it away from us.

Not getting into old arguments but Liam Doyle hasn't been a significant player on Down teams for the guts of a decade imo. Very talented player but cursed by injury and never became the player he might have been but for injuries.

Yes it was a good season for Down but I don't think anyone could have seriously put Down in the top 4 teams in the country in 2010. It just shows that a bit of luck, a kind draw and a healthy squad are all significant factors in dictating championship form. If Down still had Clarke, Mooney and a couple more decent defenders they might be contenders but imo they have stagnated and even gone backwards. Was surprised to see McCartan commit for another year ( or is it two?)

bennydorano

If internet discussions are an indicator of potential for success, then Down & Tyrone have a great chance of lifting Sam, on the field they've as much chance as the other also rans - zero.

McCartan should have gone, Counihan too, they are doing their counties a disservice by staying on. I think Donegal will regain it with ease, Dublin & Mayo their only genuine threats.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: bennydorano on February 04, 2013, 11:42:13 PM
If internet discussions are an indicator of potential for success, then Down & Tyrone have a great chance of lifting Sam, on the field they've as much chance as the other also rans - zero.

McCartan should have gone, Counihan too, they are doing their counties a disservice by staying on. I think Donegal will regain it with ease, Dublin & Mayo their only genuine threats.

I love the way the Armagh fans keep themselves busy these days by say how bad their neighbours are. Tyrone have an outside chance of an All Ireland, Armagh have no chance for years to come. Get over it.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 05, 2013, 08:41:10 AM

I love the way the Armagh fans keep themselves busy these days by say how bad their neighbours are. Tyrone have an outside chance of an All Ireland, Armagh have no chance for years to come. Get over it.

Tyrone and Laois fans have lots to look forward too. A semi spot or if lucky the final are outside chances imo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

EC Unique

As bitter as an out of date Lemon.

Our Ma are now just a 'making up the numbers' team that nobody is really that concerned about. Build a bridge..

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 04, 2013, 10:33:49 PM
Before Yellowcard rewrites history over Down v Kildare in 2010, Down's goal just as obviously a square ball as Kildare's was the result of blatant overcarrying. As for poor Kerry's bad luck over injuries in the quarter final, we were without Liam Doyle and beat them by six points despite their joke penalty. We have had one decent season in the last 15, so don't take it away from us.

Taking nothing away from Liam, the biggest miss of the year was Ambrose in the final.

Aristo 60

catchandkick

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 04, 2013, 01:30:32 AM
Quote from: catchandkick on February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PMCome on - Behave. Monaghan, Armagh and Laois???

I said they were teams that could beat one of the 7 contenders, but not win it themselves.

Syferus

I think all three of those teams are much more likely to lose to a Division 3 team in the championship than they are to beat a Division 1 team.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 04, 2013, 10:53:16 PM
What a great thread. Each one promoting their county to the maximum. And Brigid's Day was only last Friday.

Not quite, we have a couple more weeks head hanging to go through before we can talk about football again.  :(

Don't see 7 contenders myself, but I completely agree that a lot can change in a very short space of time in Gaelic Football. Too early to predict Championship form yet but I imagine we'll see at least one "outsider" team get possibly as far as the semi-finals. It'll be a disappointing from a neutral perspective if we don't. Not sure about Mayo this year either, will we see them put two good years back to back? It really is getting to do or die stage for Kildare ... but they won't do it unless they're satisfied with Leinster which they have a very good chance of winning. As for Dublin, a dangerous prospect for everyone but not likely to be better than Donegal for instance, in my opinion. Cork and Kerry will also be good, the former will be especially interesting if they don't go balls out to win the league, while the latter seem to be re-building and probably won't threaten in the AI series this season. Donegal remain an uncertainty, but in all likelihood will retain because they haven't really been challenged yet, and a serious rival to them has yet to emerge. Don't see much out of Galway, Armagh, Tyrone etc. to warrant expectation but I won't judge them too hastily. Keeping an eye on Laois too because they were better than I thought they were last  year. As for poor ould Midhe, we'll be going all out for Leinster this year again. Not sure if there's enough there yet to win it either, which is disappointing. But when you're clearing out, you have to bring in youth and patience is demanded from the fan's point of view.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

Two good years together? What are ya on about? Mayo won the Connacht title and humiliated the AI champions in their AIQF in 2011. It's the third year of continued good form that's the trick for any team. We'll see.

Rossfan

Jasus Syfeen will ya ever stop yer Rhubarb love in ?
Call yourself a Rossie..... yer a disgrace to our fair County.
Anyway there's enough of them around to spake up for their team.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ard-Rí

2011 was a mixed year at best for Mayo. You would have to question Cork's mental preparation for the game Mayo shocked them in, and certainly Kerry were easily the better team in the Semi-Final. Eight or nine points, wasn't it? And it could have been more given all the goal chances that were missed. On the other hand, they were convincing three point winners over London of course. And the same against Roscommon in the Connacht final?
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

Quote from: Ard-Rí on February 05, 2013, 11:15:46 PM
2011 was a mixed year at best for Mayo. You would have to question Cork's mental preparation for the game Mayo shocked them in, and certainly Kerry were easily the better team in the Semi-Final. Eight or nine points, wasn't it? And it could have been more given all the goal chances that were missed. On the other hand, they were convincing three point winners over London of course. And the same against Roscommon in the Connacht final?

They made the last four, and by beating the reigninng AI champions. They were by far the better side in that quarter-final and what you just did is that old reliable trick, try to explain away a win for an underdog by claiming it was because the other team weren't prepared or otherwise ready.

That's not how football works, certainly not how the championship works. You beat the team, particularly in the fashion Mayo did against Cork, you're better than that team.

It's that simple, but everyone tries to complicate it.

ONeill

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 04, 2013, 01:35:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 04, 2013, 12:35:27 AM
Quote from: catchandkick on February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM
Let's have a heated debate. ;D

All teams in Division One bar Down are All Ireland contenders?

I do not think Mayo ( not enough marquee forwards) Cork ( set up gone stale, no competition for places) or Kildare ( missing a certain something) will win the All Ireland but can't rule them completely out either.

So in my head it's

Kerry, Donegal, Dublin and Tyrone as Top Grade Contenders

And Mayo, Cork and Kildare as Possible Winners But Would Be Surprised

Monaghan, Armagh and Laois likeliest to cause upset by upsetting one of the above.

Down are always All-Ireland contenders. Every time they've won it, they've come from nowhere.

+1

Eh? The 61, 68 and 94 wins were by players who'd already been there and done that. They'd won nearly ever Ulster championship from 1959 for over a decade.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.