Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Some people just want to destroy the world.

And some people want to rule it.

The Down Way

Surprised and delighted by the result, hopefully we will see other countries, especially the Republic, following suit.
Now we need the Scots to reignite their campaign for independence, the UK is finished.

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on June 24, 2016, 07:52:45 AM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 07:39:11 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 24, 2016, 07:34:42 AM
To be honest I'm sick to f**king death of the people on the remain side peddling the economics line.
I take it you are a lot more trusting of our tory overlords than the average Nationalist.. (although to be fair you do seem to be a Unionist?)

If you think Boris and his chums are going to replace EU subsidies that places like NI benefited from then fair play to you. I and many others don't and you don't exactly need to be an Economist to see what the tories have done in days gone by.

I don't believe it's as simplistic as you're describing (which basically  boils down to "Germans are good, Tories are bad"). Economics are much more complex and erratic than the role of the current government.

I'm ambivalent about the result. Emotionally I'd prefer the legal kinship with ROI, but politically I'd be in favour of streamlined administration, which means removing layers of government. I can't win in either scenario.
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I can understand why someone in middle England might have voted Leave. But for people in NI this could be potentially disastrous and could have a disproportionate effect on us. Economics aside, we will no longer have European courts which is sad to think that the British judiciary is now the highest legal authority for us which is something I'm personally not comfortable with.

Kidder81

Cameron to resign

general_lee

Quote from: The Down Way on June 24, 2016, 08:09:30 AM
Surprised and delighted by the result, hopefully we will see other countries, especially the Republic, following suit.
Now we need the Scots to reignite their campaign for independence, the UK is finished.
The Scots being fervently pro-EU  :o

theskull1

A lot of people running around yelling that the sky IS falling.

I'm wondering how they know for sure? As shocked as everyone but are calm heads not needed here?

Bloated bureaucracy and immigration I'd say made were the prime reasons for those who voted leave

I get the inefficient unaccountable bureaucracy argument. Us it possible we're being very smug on the other argument because our town's and city's demographics haven't been impacted to the same degree as areas north of London? I dunno
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

general_lee

Sterling dropped 8.4% overnight when 1% is usually considered substantial.
Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:17:21 AM

thejuice

Cameron about to quit
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 08:20:28 AM
I guess we'll be doing the Christmas shopping up North this year!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

The Republic is the only English speaking member of the EU now. I wonder will that have any bearing on US investment?

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on June 24, 2016, 07:50:20 AM
Cameron went to Brussels to negotiate better terms and was given nothing by the Eurocrats. I can't say I'm feeling too sad for the Europhiles either right now. I guess I Will just have to ride the storm for now. Though my job could well be in trouble if investors in the housing market decide to go elsewhere.
That's interesting you have that view, so presumably it was widespread.
It certainly completely untrue to say he got nothing. I personally thought he came back with a great deal, I was surprised how much concessions he got from the "Eurocrats".
But all ignored in the campaign anyway.

The reasons people have given for voting Out are wide and varied. I'm particularly perplexed by the working class vote, thinking they'll be better off outside the EU. Nobody thinking of all the positive (employee perspective) employment law changes that were brought in by the EU. If UK had never joined the EU, I'd imagine their emplyoment laws would be a lot closer to the US "fire at will" labour laws.

theskull1

Yes
Trying to work out how much folk prophesying their own doom is actually bringing it about.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

general_lee

Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:31:08 AM

Yes
Trying to work out how much folk prophesying their own doom is actually bringing it about.
Well the top 100 companies in the UK have gone down in value by £180bn and it's not yet 9am. If anything it was the Leave campaign that was prophesying the doom!

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 08:26:44 AM
The Republic is the only English speaking member of the EU now. I wonder will that have any bearing on US investment?
It will.
No question we'll get a boost in the short term. Too much uncertainty re the UK for the coming year. For any MNC moving, suddenly Ireland has moved well ahead of UK.

But medium term, the UK will have less shackels, so can provide more incentives. Ireland's incentives have to follow the strict, non state aid, EU rules. Having said that, as a member of the OECD, the UK won't have complete free reign and there are still certain parameters they have to fall between. Switzerland is far from uncompetitive being outside the EU - there'll just be certain advantages and certain disadvantages.

Financial centre will be interesting. Plenty of potential gains for IFSC type activities that we could gain from London.

Tony Baloney

I'm wondering how they know for sure? As shocked as everyone but are calm heads not needed here?

Bloated bureaucracy and immigration I'd say made were the prime reasons for those who voted leave

I get the inefficient unaccountable bureaucracy argument. Us it possible we're being very smug on the other argument because our town's and city's demographics haven't been impacted to the same degree as areas north of London? I dunno
Inefficient unaccountable bureaucracy is on our own doorstep not just in Brussels.